Happy Birthday CMBB, 1 year old today! A retrospective look back, then and now!!!!!!!

In all the excitement leading up to CMAK its easy to overlook that today is the 1 year anniversary of the ground (and back) breaking Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin.

In honor of CMBB's birthday I thought it might be fun to take a little stroll down memory lane and compare just how far the CM franchise has come.

It was 39 months ago today that CMBO also started shipping out.

What does the future hold? Obviously CMAK is right around the corner and very soon the Special Edition of CMBB will be arriving at your local retailer.

Beyond CMAK lies the tantalizing gem that will be CMX2.

So, over three years after CMBO started booting up on peoples hard drivers the future for CM is bright indeed.

We thank you all for your patronage, patience and excitement which fuels our commitment to brining you the most realistic and enjoyable computer war games.

CMBO

CMBO.jpg

CMBO_1.jpg

CMBB

CMBB.jpg

CMBB_1.jpg

And of course, now we have CMAK

CMAK.jpg

CMAK_1.jpg

[ September 20, 2003, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Not more than 39 months?

before CMBO came out i could happily play games like Ground Control and Max Payne without getting the urge to mod them into more realistic games... realism comes first is something CMBO tought me... now i mod all games i play to make them more realistic (as far as i can)

seeing those screens makes me appreciate CMBB (and CMAK in the future) alot more... aaah... those sweet memories of that pukish grephic of CMBO...

btw. nice effect there with the size of the screens... deliberate? ;)

What 39 months! Certainly a record for me playing a game - although I have shamelessly abandoned CMBO for CMBB.

Looking forward to CMx2 and its many wonders.

Egads, did a count, I've made 90+ scenarios for CMBO and CMBB, where did I get the time to do that.

As always a GREAT game, a good community and a bright future.

I look forward to 2012 when the "UBER CM" comes out with all of WWII covered in all its glory and look forward to the recreation of the entire war at CM level - the players to pass their positions on to their heirs.

Yes there will be a fight to see who gets to be German and no one will want to be Belgium.....

Just one word: PROST!

But once toasted, words just seem to flow anyhow... I'll keep on buying and toasting BFC's products with this kind of commitment and dedication to quality and pleasure from BFC.

Bless your souls for a wargaming revolution par excellence.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

logo.gif

-----------------------------------------------------

</font>

• Wine donation send to Fuerte for his PBEM HELPER, an excellent tool - it even lets you play 2 PBEM turns per e-mail exhange - if you play more than one PBEM at a time and have a Windows OS</font>
  • Sponsor of the (now infamous) Invitational (Ari Maenpaa)</font>
  • Sponsor of the 2 WineCape Tourneys (Fangorn’s Brazilian customs drank the wine prize up! + KiwiJoe)</font>
  • Sponsor of the Nordic Championships in honor of Nabla (His scoring system revolutionized CM tourney play)</font>
  • Rumblings of War, aka RoW I/II/III and beyond tourney sponsor (Wreck/Ali+Kanonier+Jon_L/~)</font>
  • Grateful donateur to the drinking habits of Battlefront.com (Baldy received the Fat Bastard Chardonnay)</font>
  • Thank You donation send to Manx (He used to run the “sexiest CMBO modsite on the net”)</font>
  • Wine donation send to Boots & Tracks for their scenarios created specifically for RoW tournaments</font>
  • Wine donation send to Gordon Molek for his CMMOS utility (Thereby making the installing of CM mods a breeze)</font>
  • Wine donation send to Andrew Fox for his CM modding work</font>
  • Wine donation send to Keith Miller @ Scenario Depot for his dedication in hosting CM scenarios</font>
  • Sponsor-to-be of Pengville’s “Gamey Bastard” tourney (In honor of Seanachai + Lars for showing an act of kindness to an outerboarder - Well, bribery does pay.)</font>

-------------------History Note------------------

On 22 December 1944 General Heinrich von Lüttwitz, commander of the German XLVII Armoured Corps, sent a message to General McAuliffe, commander of 101st Airborne Division* demanding he surrender the surrounded town of Bastogne. McAuliffe’s reply, “NUTS!” is probably unequalled in the annals of military history, both for its brevity and the amount of confusion it caused in the German camp before it was deciphered.

*The 101st Airborne Division held out in Bastogne from 19-26 December 1944. The 4th American Armoured Division, under Patton’s Third Army, relieved the “Battered Bastards of Bastogne” during the German Ardennes offensive.

[ September 21, 2003, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

Congrats to BTS/BFC/etc. etc. My humble and sincere admiration on jobs very very well done. Your work brought be back to my wargaming addiction after 10 blissful years away from it. Even as I type this we are collecting the names and addresses of all your kin. I will read them out to the eager audience next time I stand up to start a speech with the words: "Hi, I'm Harry, and like you I'm a CM'aholic."

Congratulations to Steve and Charles and the rest at Battlefront for putting together the best WWII squad level computer simulation on the market.

How long ago was it that Steve and Charles started the 1st web site discussing with forum members what should or shouldn’t go into CM?

(it’s been a long time since Steve has been around discussing aspects of the game.)

(Steve, did you ever get that door fixed on you house?)

And what year was it when CM went from a computerized version of a certain board game to a combat simulation of it’s own? What a foolish move on the new parent company of that game to drop the development team of Steve and Charles.

Seems like it’s been 5 years or more.

I think I had a blazing fast 28.8 modem at the time.

Ah, a trip down memory lane.

Now back to my PBEM.