Review of CMBB Says It's Dull!!!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll concede to one point: The game is hard to get into, in a dull way. That doesn't mean I dont like to play it, but Atomic managed to make their lovely games quite approachable, where as I found myself a bit bewildered when I started CM the first time. Now I have figured most of it out and enjoy the attention to detail and complexity of the game. But I believe Battlefront wouldn't die from a few lessons at The Charming School to make a more endearing first date for their future games. No need to dumb down or simplify.

I wrote the guy an email...

I was reading your review of Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin when it occurred to me that the person writing the review has no idea how to play the game. Its pretty clear from your review that you have almost no experience with the CM engine, and therefore cannot write a credible review. IMHO it takes about a year of constant TCP/IP play to become proficient with the game. Yes, it is a steep learning curve, but it is tremendously rewarding. Although your review makes some valid points about the graphics, you should remember that the 3d engine is perhaps the least impressive feature of CM. Instead, you should focus your review on the depth of gameplay and the active CM community that avidly supports this sophisticated wargame. Its not something you just pick up and play, which is what you did, and dash off a quick review.

Originally posted by yunfat:

I wrote the guy an email...

I was reading your review of Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin when it occurred to me that the person writing the review has no idea how to play the game. Its pretty clear from your review that you have almost no experience with the CM engine, and therefore cannot write a credible review. IMHO it takes about a year of constant TCP/IP play to become proficient with the game. Yes, it is a steep learning curve, but it is tremendously rewarding. Although your review makes some valid points about the graphics, you should remember that the 3d engine is perhaps the least impressive feature of CM. Instead, you should focus your review on the depth of gameplay and the active CM community that avidly supports this sophisticated wargame. Its not something you just pick up and play, which is what you did, and dash off a quick review.

Yeah Baby!

and the Fans of the Game are Rabbid and vocal and travel in packs as well! :D

-tom w

Immacolata wrote:

I'll concede to one point: The game is hard to get into, in a dull way. That doesn't mean I dont like to play it, but Atomic managed to make their lovely games quite approachable, where as I found myself a bit bewildered when I started CM the first time.
Now this is true. I remember the first time I drove a car, it was far more complicated than my old bicycle, which, in and of itself was a challenge following my little red tricycle. Everything is relative.

CM isn't really a computer game at all. Wargames were around before computers, and CM is just a natural development of the wargame. Computer games belong to a different family tree altogether. Non wargamers have a hard time appreciating the difference.

Some friends of mine asked me, oh you're STILL playing Combat Mission? I was like: what do you mean, do you STILL play CHESS? Do you STILL read BOOKS? Do you STILL have SEX? This is CLASSIC! They couldn't see my point To them, it's just a 'computer game'. The cretins.

Originally posted by Immacolata:

I'll concede to one point: The game is hard to get into, in a dull way. That doesn't mean I dont like to play it, but Atomic managed to make their lovely games quite approachable, where as I found myself a bit bewildered when I started CM the first time. Now I have figured most of it out and enjoy the attention to detail and complexity of the game. But I believe Battlefront wouldn't die from a few lessons at The Charming School to make a more endearing first date for their future games. No need to dumb down or simplify.

I have to disagree strongly with this statement. The first time I played CM, I was very impressed by how easy the interface works. Right click on a unit to select it and see the menu options and click to go or shoot somewhere. No need to learn obscure key combinations, just click and play. Obviously, there are a host of nuances that can only be picked up from the manual or through the grapevine (and make the game even more incredible than it already is), but those things don’t prevent you from rolling your King Tiger down the street and blasting whatever comes into view. I didn’t think there was any confusion when I first played CM, and found it to be one of the easiest games to get into without a manual.

Ace

Originally posted by Ace Pilot:

Obviously, there are a host of nuances that can only be picked up from the manual or through the grapevine (and make the game even more incredible than it already is), but those things don’t prevent you from rolling your King Tiger down the street and blasting whatever comes into view.

Just don't forgot that your formidable King Tiger may be iron clad in the front, iron clad on the sides, and even iron clad at the back, but it is left open at the top, where a well-placed explosion from an aeroplane might render it unto obsoletumdom.

Just forget it guys, the idiot is just reviewing for his audience.

"Combat Mission II is a different take on the RTS genre"

Of course it bloody isn't. His ignorance is shown here, together with the ramblings about "RTS" and "TBS" - he has never played (or maybe even heard of) "wargames".

Originally posted by CMplayer:

CM isn't really a computer game at all. Wargames were around before computers, and CM is just a natural development of the wargame. Computer games belong to a different family tree altogether. Non wargamers have a hard time appreciating the difference.

Some friends of mine asked me, oh you're STILL playing Combat Mission? I was like: what do you mean, do you STILL play CHESS? Do you STILL read BOOKS? Do you STILL have SEX? This is CLASSIC! They couldn't see my point To them, it's just a 'computer game'. The cretins.

Whoops, time for a sig change! :D

And go easy on Immacolata, guys... I had several years of wargaming experience and several months of reading this forum before firing up the CMBO Beta demo so many ages ago, and while the rudiments of fire and movement orders were certainly easy to pick up, it did take several games before I felt that I knew just what orders to give to obtain the desired results...

The guy is entitled to his own opinion. Not everyone's going to fall madly in love with either CMBO or CMBB. When I first started playing CMBO it took me a few tries to get in to the game. I was so used to playing Close Combat.

Also, many people don't have the patience to learn to play games like CMBO/CMBB. They want all action all the time. With first person shooters you don't have to plan ahead or carefully consider your moves ( both required in CMBO/CMBB ).

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy games like Max Payne & Ghost Recon. They're fun, don't require a lot of thought and great for your reflexes ( plus it's fun to see some blood splatter from time to time ).

Everyone knows that WWII tank designers left the rear of the tanks with less armor "clad" because they did not want the operators driving around the battlefields in reverse. That is Grog 101, everyone knows this, I'm surprised that the dope who wrote that review did'nt know this.

How nice of you to bring up the sweet memories of our last battle. But no, in case you've forgotten YOU sent ME a setup, and I returned it in kind. So I'm expecting YOUR first move. It was Viipuri or something like that, and I've got a tank, formidably iron clad, and your squaddies are going to gush borscht before we're through with them.

Ooooh, but he is right !! As a RTS CM is really not good, look : the game is frozen for a time, then the game doesn't respond to orders, then the game is frozen for a time, then the game doesn't respond to orders, then AGAIN the game is frozen for a time, then AGAIN the game doesn't respond to orders, ad nauseam !!!!

What a dull bugged broken game !

:D:D:D:D

The spotty little kid will not even have played his review copy - all wargames are dull and hard to get into by the trendy teen-somethings that come out of Uni want to do the pose and join the staff of a Computer game Mag of all things! I know I use to be a freelance reviewer myself - confessions, confessions!

Forget about it!