Review of CMBB Says It's Dull!!!

Guest Panzer Boxb

Here is one part that really got me:

Focussing on the Eastern Front and Nazi Germany’s struggle with the Soviet Union, Combat Mission II: Barbarossa to Berlin is a real-time strategy/ turn based strategy hybrid. It takes players through over 50 battles over 4 years, with players starting off from Operation Barbarossa and finishing on VE Day.
The way that is (poorly) written makes it sound as though the game is comprised solely around a set of linear missions. Yes, he does go on to talk about the Quick Battles but the above portion makes it sound like a campaign.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game: Combat Mission II: Barbarossa to Berlin

Genre: RTS/TGS Hybrid

Format: PC CD-ROM (Req. P 233MHz, 3D Card, 64MB RAM, 1.1GB HD Space)

Developer: CDV

Publisher: CDV

Players: 1+

Age Rating: 11+

Out: Now

Battlefront.com doesn't even get a mention. I suppose if you've got some flak to toss around, sending it in CDV's direction ain't such a bad idea.

Oh, by the way, the game finally made it to France. Off to get my copy this afternoon. Of course, all the credit will be going to CDV...

I feel priviledged that the games I mostly like to play have sensible players i want to talk to. You only need to spend 5 minutes looking at a Counterstrike forum to understand what i mean. Even the flame threads tend to be witty (not going to mention... :D )

Anyway, as a question, how many copies of CMBB are likely to be sold? how many copies of CMBO are out there? I have no feel. Do reviews matter? I have sold copies to friends by demonstrating the game or word-of-mouth.

Man-o-man, in rugby this would be referred to as a scrum, with the poor reviewer playing the part of the ball! Nothing like a little bad (should read dumb) review to get the wagons to pull into a circle.

I do wonder how well CMBB is selling, though I'm positive they'll never actually tell us. When CMBO first came out BFC was caught offguard by its immediate popularity and had to scramble to keep the game in stock. I wonder if that delay for CMBB to restock means CMBB was an even bigger unexpected success, or was that just an affect of a bad batch of disks on the first run?

I was in a shop and overheard some twat

saying that he didn't think it was any

good because it didn't have any good

"Cut scene's" like "Command&Conquer".

He was looking at some board games.

I suggested "Tiddl'ywinks" and "Ludo".

Any ASL players I have shown CMBO & CMBB

have purchased a PC next day just to play it.

This says it all. smile.gif

Oh man, I laughed so hard when I read this line that I woke up the kids:

the formidable Panther tank is clad with thick armour at the front whilst the back is left open, meaning a well placed explosion at the back will render it obsolete.

Anyone else get the impression that this guy is 15 years old and armed with his mothers dictionary? No one talks like that...no one. Actually I find this fascinating. My bet, as I said, is that this "Steven" character is 13-15 yrs old, desperately trying to sound older and wiser.

What a gem..."a well placed explosion at the back will render it obsolete"

..render it obsolete??

I found a new addition to my sig line.

Originally posted by CaptPigglesbeThe3rd:

[QB]I was in a shop and overheard some twat

saying that he didn't think it was any

good because it didn't have any good

"Cut scene's" like "Command&Conquer".

He was looking at some board games.

I suggested "Tiddl'ywinks" and "Ludo".

How do you know the person was a twat? Maybe he was an idiot, or perhaps a dweeb?

The Sims, Ars Magica, a slot machine, football, football, and CM are all considered "games"... the significant common factor is entertainment. For some people cut scenes are, apparenetly, an essential part of that entertainment. C&C is a game from which many people derive a great deal of enjoyment.

We should show some more respect for alternate forms of entertainment here. Given that, I suggest we focus our efforts on ridiculing the people who play other, lesser games, trade impressions of stupid sounds they make ("No no, they go "Buh duh buh!"), and speculate about the origins of their myriad moral, psychological, and physical defects.

Wouldn't that be more constructive?

Can't understand, why write a review of game genre, you have no intrest of. This fella is more at home with C&C IV; The death of Mouse, than HC strategy and tactics. Don't these people have decent assistant staff, to have a review writer for strategy games, that has played more than one game of RISK?

If you don't play the games like Steel Panthers, Combat Mission, Strategic Command or Pacific War, (NOT a complete list, not by a long shot) How are you able to say this is load of... and this is very good? You don't have a perspective.

The point is, that these reviews are written to potential customers that, in case of game like CM, are strategy game fans. Writer therefore should be one as well. After all, I don't go around badmouthing Unreal Turnament 2003, just becouse I haven't got slightes intrest of the game.

Hope nobody buyes ad-space from these people.

Originally posted by Ozzieboy:

btw, why are there so few reviews of CMBB out there? The game has been out for nearly a month. CMBO had so many reviews, what happened now?

I've wondered that myself. To be honest, that was one of the few reviews that I've even seen. Most of the major strategy/wargaming sites don't even mention it.

Out,

Volstag

Okay, is it just me, or is it very obvious that this guy thinks that Red Alert is the best strategy game out there and that it is very realistic!!! :eek:

Where do they find these guys? Its like someone who loves playing counter strike trying to play combat mission and tell eveyone how its 'dull.' Ofcourse its dull to your twitch reflect mind! You cant play chess either because it's dull and nothing explodes on the board?

But, who cares. I love the game. We all love the game. There are lots of people who are modding for us. What else do we need? Not a good review from some second rate website.

Chad