Review of CMBB Says It's Dull!!!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Wally's World:

Don't shoot the messenger but unbelievably the following review says that CMBB is good but dull and hard to get into.

Review

at the risk of copy right infringement:

" Combat Mission II is a different take on the RTS genre and it almost pulls it off. The game’s only

problem is that it is painstakingly dull and hard to actually get into and play. Hardcore TBS finds will

probably love it although RTS fans looking for something else may find it too dull. As everything is turn

based, players may find this off putting as most RTS game allow for total freedom of control, hence

the name ‘real-time’ and this game allows none of that real-time moving of troops, instead you’re

stuck waiting for the computer or another player to make their turn. If you’re looking for a RTS you

should definitely try something else, if you looking for a TBS game, this may be for you.

Game: Combat Mission II: Barbarossa to Berlin

Genre: RTS/TGS Hybrid

Format: PC CD-ROM (Req. P 233MHz, 3D Card, 64MB RAM, 1.1GB HD Space)

Developer: CDV

Publisher: CDV

Players: 1+

Age Rating: 11+

Out: Now

Steven"

©2002, Staticplay.net All Rights Reserved®

[ October 17, 2002, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

"players can strategically position troops in areas" (quoted from review)

...I didn't know you could transfer troops to the Western Front?

It sounds like this guy has no military background, and/or no interest in WW II. CMBB wasn't designed to please the RTS "Command and Conquer" crowd. I am thankful that there's still some companies (Battlefront, HPS, Matrix, Schwerepunkt, Schrapnel) devoted to producing realistic computer wargames. So many companies have started out with that in mind but have fallen by the wayside (SSI, Talonsoft), or water down their games for public consumption.

The average "bloke" can't even locate Stalingrad on a map, let alone know the difference between a Pz IVF1 and F2. Perhaps some people will become interested in the Eastern Front after playing CMBB, and will pursue this interest with reading. CMBB would therefore have the benefit of educating people as to what warfare on the Eastern Front was like, rather than a view perpetuated by "Sudden Strike."

" Combat Mission II is a different take on the RTS genre and it almost pulls it off.
Tsk tsk. Poor guy, I thought the statement "hybrid turn-based/realtime 3D simulation" quite clearly explained what to look for in CM.

IMHO, CMBB is without question a must-have for any hybrid turn-based/realtime 3D similation fan! ;)

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I made the mistake of looking at other reviews:

"When it comes to realism and accuracy, Sudden Strike II oozes the right elements to make this game one of the most realistic WWII games out there. With over a hundred vehicles and troops as well as 5 different playable nations and a host of missions, this game will appeal to both the hardened SS fans and newcomers alike. Longevity isn’t a problem here either, as the amount of missions, multiplayer and the mission editor will see to that. If you are a fan of the RTS genre then you will love this game but if you’re not the patient, thinking type, you better stay clear as strategy and time are large factors in this game. If you can overlook the little bad things you’ll have yourself one of the best World War II RTS titles out there."

(Sung to the tune of "Smoke that Cigerrete")

Twitch Twitch Twitch that Mouse!

Rush Rush Rush them tanks!

Play that game to death!

Like I said before, never listen to online review sites. Nothing beats word of mouth.

[ October 17, 2002, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Nippy ]

How am I supposed to take a review serious that is filled with orthographical glitches that an editor should have sorted out? :rolleyes:

Oh, and I will say naught of my opinion of Sudden Strike 2, except that much: the first part and its expansion with a FAN MADE(!) realism mod was a whole lot of more fun....

The review is fine, considering the average computer gaming audience. CMBB is a wargame that's been imaginatively and creatively transformed into a computer format. Nonetheless, all the concerns a wargamer would have with a map and counter wargame are addressed here as well. If the review sounds harsh, just imagine the same guy reviewing something like AH's 'Squad Leader' or SPI's 'Sniper.' smile.gif

Originally posted by pad152:

Anyone who thinks CMBB is dull, never played a night battle in a town with flamethrower tanks and engineers ;)

Or had their tank site another, take a shot and miss and keep from screaming at the top of their lungs "FIRE, DAMMIT, FIRE!!!" (BTW, this isn't healthy when the wife is attempting to sleep)

"RTS fans looking for something else may find it too dull. As everything is turn based, players may find this off putting as most RTS game allow for total freedom of control, hence the name ‘real-time’ and this game allows none of that real-time moving of troops, instead you’re stuck waiting for the computer or another player to make their turn. If you’re looking for a RTS you should definitely try something else."

I see we all pinch in on this one and set a hitman contract on the next reviewer who dares suggest that turn-based is inherently wrong because it decreases your freedom of action (unlike click-fest where you have hundreds of units of which you can see only a handfull at a time apparently :rolleyes: ).

Is that 'Steven' from the Alice cooper album - Welcome to my nightmare?

My Panther not only opens at the back, as he so accurately points out, it also opens at the front to allow 50 little pixel men to pop out and get squashed into dots of red. And its got Thunderbird 4 inside.