The first war game? (Poll)

First wargame: In the sandbox (literally) at age 2 using lead W Britians and SAE troops and handmade Panther tanks with my Dad in 1963

First board wargame: Blitzkrieg and later Panzerblitz in 1972?

First computer wargame: I think it was called Ambush, a top down map with Xs and Os for your troops @ 1984

[This message has been edited by kmead (edited 01-23-2001).]

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Michael emrys

First board game: "Stalingrad" by Avalon Hill. 1964.

First Mac game: "Victory at Sea" by 360 Pacific. 1994.

Before that was a game called, I think, "Tanks" that was being offered at a party by a couple of Stanford hackers on a LAN of some kind. Even had joysticks. Around 1977.

In 1974 at UCLA I played a game called "Lord Baron" on a mainframe via teletype.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 01-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 01-21-2001).]

FIRST REENACTMENTs - My brothers and I recreating "Combat" and "Gallant Men" in the back yard.

FIRST MINIATURES - Green army men and tanks out in the dirt.

FIRST 5&10 WARGAME - Milton Bradley's "DogFight"

FIRST ELECTRONIC WARGAME - Parker Bros. "Codename: Sector" a self-contained computer game of Submarine pusuit.

FIRST CONSOLE TV WARGAME - Nintendo "Silent Service"

FIRST "REAL" BOARDGAME - Avalon Hill's, "D-Day"

FIRST COMPUTER WARGAME - Will Hutsell's "Civil War Battleset"

And the good times are still rolling smile.gif

First boardgame was panzerblitz and panzer leader, bought together (mid 70's). I even ordered an extra set of units and maps so I could have more pumas and panthers, and build massive maps on the garage floor. Also had a Stategy and Tactics subscription, which came with little games. Still have them all, although never played the games much, they were usually outside my area of interest.

First computer wargame was that take over the island game on the intellivision, I forget the name, also had B17. Also had Bolo, on the Apple IIe, weird little tank game in a maze, was a riot to play, don't know if I would consider it a wargame though. Got hooked on Empire for the Amiga, still play it now.

------------------

"With cat-like tread, Upon our prey we steal;

In silence dread, Our cautious way we feel." -G&S

Tyco Army set, early 60's. Had two sets of plastic soldiers. One set was Army vs Germans and the other set was Marines vs Japanese. Both sets had there own unique armor and infantry, plastic tanks and soldiers. At 7 or 8 years old, I got extreme enjoyment from setting up battles in the dirt then kicking everything down. Ha.

Strat

Guest MantaRay

First Wargame(if you consider it a wargame): Stratego. I used to sit in my room for hours making plans on pieces of paper. I had great setups too.

Then Axis and Allies, even bought the PC version. I still whip my little brothers in it occasionally. =}

PC: D-Day by Impressions. We would now laugh at it if it was released today, but I loved it.

Panzer General is what got me into computers though, solidified by Doom.

But the ultimate wargame in history is Chess. I have been playing that as long as I can remember. Still the only game that I will play till i die.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Computer: "A bridge to far" and "Operation Tunisia" (ZX Spectrum, 1983?)

PC: "Sun Tzu's Ancient art of War" (1986?)

Board: AH's "American Civil War" (IIRC, 1988?)

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!

Introduced to 1/72 miniatures in 1971, my first year of high School!

My first boardgame was SPIs 1941 ... platoon level armoured combat in France.

First computer wargame was SSI's Kampfgruppe (or was it Panzergruppe) <shrug>

Mace

Board games:

Gettysburg (AH) in 1964, followed in rapid succession by a slew of AH games: Afrika Korps, Tactics II, Battle of the Bulge, D-Day, Stalingrad, Midway, U-Boat, Bismarck, 1914, Blitzkrieg, Guadalcanal, etc.

Also had B-17 Bomber for Intellivision. In fact, i still have the system and the games boxed up in the basement. Used to play that game every night when I got home from working the 3 p.m.-11:30 p.m. shift. The wife would complain about these voices waking her up saying "that was close." In all the times I tried, I never made it back from the ball bearing works in eastern Europe.

Would love to see "B-17" updated for Playstation 2!

By the time I came along, boardgaming was nearly dead and computers were taking off.

First Board wargame I bought: Avalon Hill's Luftwaffe. I was too young to play it, but the box was cool. Unfortunately the cat pissed on it, so it had to go.

First Computer Wargame: Panzer General. It is a game about war, is it not?

First Real Computer Wargame: Steel Panthers. Blew everything else away, until CM at least.

Oldest Wargame I own: V for Victory Series. Started getting interested in the operational art. Bought the set for $17 soon after.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

First Tabletop: Space Marines from GW. ~88

First Boardgame: Chess, 1979

First Real Boardgame: Columbia's Bobby Lee (~1990), Still like the 'block' games.

Console: Combat (Atari 2600)

Atari ST: Universal Military Simulator (you could even make your own battles)

PC: Steel Panthers

Does anyone remember 'Bloodtree Rebellion" ? I bought it some years ago but never played it, only read the rules. Is it worth the try?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MantaRay:

But the ultimate wargame in history is Chess. I have been playing that as long as I can remember. Still the only game that I will play till i die.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll go along with that.

I owned 'Luftwaffe' first, but only played it once. So, AH 'War at Sea' was my first frequently-played tabletop wargame.

'Patton vs. Rommel' was the first computer game.

How far we've come.....

------------------

"Enough, Sir, no more of that, the die is cast and if there are fifty sail I will go through them"

Adm. Sir John Jervis 14-Feb, 1797

First board game:

"1940" I think I was the only one on this planet that bought the thing.. *sigh* 1984

First computer war game:

"ancient art of war" mac 1986?

First table top:

Warhammer Fantasy Battle GW 1988

First live renactment:

Soldiers/capture the flag, with my friends in Edmonton, Alberta.. god that was fun, man I miss those guys running around the place shouting "budda budda budda"... 1978

First real War game:

Manouvers with my unit in summer training GGHG. late 1989

First battle of the minds and wit:

my wife (but shes winning, you can't win against your wife - for all those who are married will know this, how? well lets see you get out of this question... "honey do I look fat?" - check and mate!)

-----------

www.derkessel.com Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by mensch (edited 01-22-2001).]