The first war game? (Poll)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

First Mac game: "Victory at Sea" by 360 Pacific. 1994.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michael,

Was this perhaps the worst software product you ever purchased? Remember the cat-fights between Dunnigan and the developers?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First wargame (and it hooked me) was AH's Submarine...ever since I've always favored games with a tactical flavor.

First PC game was something called Lords of Conquest (Apple version) which had us up till the sunrise many Friday's and Saturdays.

And does anyone remember the AH title that eliminated luck from gameplay? It was an awful game...simple...and you played it with cards instead of dice...Kriegspiel?

Guest AL the red

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarhead:

What was the first war game you played?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arnhem by R.T Smith on the ZX Spectrum(48K ram!) way back in 1985.I still play it on emulator when i`m feeling nostalgic.In fact,it was my first computer game.I would still rate it in my top 5.Al.

First war game: Chess?

BUt the first one that ate at my psyche and wouldn't let go was AH's Starship Troopers. WWII Wargame... AH's Panzer Bliz.

Computer: Hmmmmmm... Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Rot3K was fun because I remember always burning the evil Generals out, catching them, and beheading them if they didn't join.

Used to max out all my forcess just so I could surround generals and set them on fire.

Great fun.

------------------

"I had no shoes and I cried, then I met a man who had no socks." - Fred Mertz

First Wargame - Chariot - Pre-Roman tactical combat from SPI (SSG). Bought Legion, Musket and Pike and Grenadier also.

First Computer Game - Red Storm Rising - C64

(bought a C64 just to play it).

------------------

"Gentleman!, there will be no fighting in here, this is the War Room!". The President to Gen. Trugidson and the Soviet Ambassador in Dr. Strangelove.

First wargame: Wooden Ships and Iron Men

First computer game: Battles of Napoleon

LOL, Starship troopers was fun ... I always managed to get my Special Talent turned into slag right after landing on the surface. Those nuclear mines were hell too.

Luftwaffe ... German planes form one giant stack and make repeated passes over the struggling American bombers. We call it: "Luftwaffe, the game with the massive flaw" wink.gif

WOW! Thank you for the great response all. It looks like most of you have a history of War gaming be it Board, or Computer, console, what have you. Even one lad made his own game to get his fix. Its nice to have a place to go and trade thoughts on history, and war gaming in General. As well as of course CM (The Best Computer WWII Tactical war game so far).

------------------

Semper Fi.

Guest Wildman

Started on 1:300 scale using "Armor 44". Great rules, espically for tanks. Differing Penetration values, etc.

Started Napoleonics with Empire, then wrote my own. Nothing better that that seeing the Death Head's Lancers battling with Scots' Greys and the Old Guard in the background. I even had two battlions of Wortenburg(sp?)

Even did Mustangs and Messersmits. Had to built a modle and three wheels stand.

First computer game was M1 Abrams for the PC. Put it on my brand-new, top of the line 386-16 with a 125MegHD. Wow the speed.

---

Tactics II (age 9, and boy was I disappointed at first not to get "Tank Command" with real plastic tanks that popped into the air. But it grew on me).

Tactics II always seemed to degenerate into a trench warfare stalemate untless you used the optional nukes... Remember that discussion "Problems of Nuclear Warfare"?

Computer: Eastern Front for the Atari 800 (1981). Not a bad game actually. This was also the first instance of "We Go" logic I ever saw in a game... you gave all your corps movement orders and then they all executed at once each turn to the best of their ability.

first board game:SPI's four battle's in north africa quad soon followed by spi's "terrible swift sword" probably the holy grail of board wargaming for me (a total classic) so was "highway to the reich".."descent on crete"

"wellingtons victory"..."wacht am rein"..hell all the monster game's! anyone of you have...."streets of stalingrad"? rare an massive a collectors gem!

The first board wargame I made myself with a friend, based on Stratego but much expanded and with modern units.

The first "real" board wargame was SPI's Panzer Armee Africa. Great game, but I usually lost.

The first PC wargame was Steel Panthers (the first version). Played it for months - loved the campaign.

Well, let's see...first I played chess, then Stratego, then Risk, then came D-Day by Avalon Hill, then Blitzkrieg. My first computer wargame was StarTrek (all text based) on the mainframe at Willamette University.

But here's the real gem: My friend found a book in the library called "The Wargame" by Charles Grant. It had rules in it for Pre-Napoleonic combat with miniatures (Frederick the Great's era.) We spent months building miniature soldiers out of wood and wire, plus trees, houses, cannons, etc...and you had to have colored dice, special measuring sticks and wire patterns to figure combat results. Our battlefields were laid out on an expanded ping-pong table. It was awesome! Anyone else ever play minatures with Grants rules?

My big brother convinced me to play an air-figher hex-based game some 25 years ago (can't remember the name of the game though). Strangely enough I enjoyed it. Rules were not that hard, and in the cases they were, he explained them to me.

Besides, most of the times, I got to have the best fighters, probably so that I would stand at least some chance.

First war game on PC was IIRC "Art of War". You could choose different time-periods, for instance being huns, or Robin Hood types etc.

Either that one was first, otherwise it was "Gunship" (the original) from Microprose. A truly great game. I've played a number of helo-sims since then, but it still stands (after 12-13 years!).

Second war-game was original M1 Tank Platoon.

Originally posted by Panther131:

And before any of these, army men the real deal...playing with plastic army men with my friends.

Of course, how could I forget!! We used the 1/32 (or was it 1/35?) scale.

Basically we went into a sandbox, spent an hour or so building one fort each. After that we each had to turn away while the other placed out his soldiers, perhaps 10-15 of them.

Then the game starts... Find the biggest rock around that you could throw for at least 3 meters.

I throw once, he throws once etc.

The way to decide when a soldier was dead, was when he was all covered with sand, nothing left sticking up. When he did, you dug him out, placed him beside so we could keep acccounts.

Hmmm, thinking of it, I suppose I should have a box of these lying around somewhere... smile.gif

First wargame-

Homemade (to go with my Airfix napoleonic figures), featured such things as rolling a dice to see how far each troop moved smile.gif

First commercial wargame rules-

Bruce Quarries WW2 or Grants, I cant remember which came first.

First Commercial Boardgame-

Squad Leader. The best christamas I ever had. My parents had let me buy it a week earlier (because they rightfully thought they would buy the wrong thing) but I was not allowed to open it. I kept my word and didnt open it but read and re read the back of the box through the shrink wrap many times smile.gif

First Computer Wargame-

Eastern Front by Crawford.

I would take my Atari 8 bit with the cartridge around to my friends house and we would split the command between the north and south army groups. After maybe the 8th time playing this (and several days later) I remember clearly my freind looking up at the screen in surprise and saying "you know there dont seem to be many russians left". We were both shocked to realise that we were actually going to WIN, something we had just assumed was impossible smile.gif

_dumbo

Originally posted by Beer_n_Pretzels:

My First wargame was Terrible Swift Sword, 1st edition. I think it was released in 1977...

My first miniatures game was Warhammer 2nd edition.

My first Roleplaying Game was DnD 2nd edition

Not as grizzled as some of the Grogs around here smile.gif

Terrible Swift Sword was quite a wargame to start of with. I too bought the original edition and still have it as well as the second edition put out by TSR.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.