The first war game? (Poll)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I already spoke, but I wanted to bring up a couple other games:

"Up Front" by AH - 1986 Anybody play this Squad Leader card game? Nice artwork, but it was way too abstract for me

"Air Force" by AH -1982 Used to play this WWII plane-to-plane along with SL for HOURS while I was in CAP eons ago. Great game that used charts for aircraft data. Had Dauntless, the gamette as well

I think one of the best designed games out was "Ace of Aces". Anbody remember this book based game? Each player had a picture book. With the viewpoint out of your airplane, you read off a page number corresponding wih a maneuver listed at the bottom of the page. Great game that was. The only problem was that if you played it too much, you ended up knowing each maneuver by it's page number, So, when your opponent read his out, you knew exactly which one he did, and promptly shot him down....

By the way, I still have those "flat" army men to this day with the box!! I would scan them if they were here with me, but they are at my parent's house (I'm stationed here in the UK with the USAF) Boy was I one VERY sad kid when I got them.....

Thanks for listening, hehe

-Ski

"

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

Originally posted by Teamski:

Yeah I already spoke, but I wanted to bring up a couple other games:

"Up Front" by AH - 1986 Anybody play this Squad Leader card game? Nice artwork, but it was way too abstract for me

"Air Force" by AH -1982 Used to play this WWII plane-to-plane along with SL for HOURS while I was in CAP eons ago. Great game that used charts for aircraft data. Had Dauntless, the gamette as well

I think one of the best designed games out was "Ace of Aces". Anbody remember this book based game?

I played Up Front in high school; even conned some friends into playing. I had BANZAI as well. I knocked up a half-assed version of the game in Basic (no graphics, all text) - I think on a CoCo 2.

I remember seeing Ace of Aces in game stores but never had the money to shell out on it.

One of my faves was B-17 Queen of the Skies (now that you mention Dauntless). The solitaire game that consisted of you sitting there and rolling dice endlessly for hours and hours?

I hear that Microprose's B-17 II is actually making Avalon Hill's board game treatment look GOOD! LOL!

------------------

<A HREF="http://wargames.freehosting.net/cmbits.htm

http://members.home.net/canuckmain/

http://highlanders.freehosting.net/" TARGET=_blank>http://wargames.freehosting.net/cmbits.htm

http://members.home.net/canuckmain/

http://highlanders.freehosting.net/</A>

Well, okey --

First board war game: Avalon Hill's D-Day ca. 1968.

First computer game: some C64 dealie from SSI that took 8 minutes to load (literally) and involved individual vehicles and guns. My, but we've come a long way since them.

Ace of Aces by Nova Games (btw, the original developer of a huge Stalingrad Game, which was also most enjoyable) was very cool. We got together several guys on several occasions using book markers to enable multi-player. I lost my copy, but a few years ago found the 2 WW1 sets for 50c each at a yard sale, still in the sleeve box and not too worn.

It was my first "online" game. Me and another guy actually played it over the phone several times

Another game I enjoyed, but it took a lot of patience to learn and play, was SPIs Air War.

For tactical land games, I really enjoyed SPIs CityFight IMHO a lot better than Squad Leader. This game was the first to employ a workable 2-player blind system (though you needed to really trust your opponent). First game I ever played that took into account sound for spotting.

Another great double-blind game was Operation Crusader by GDW. It was my

"grand tactical" favorite along with its cousin Suez '73.

I wish I had some boardgame opponents...have not done any boardgaming since World In Flames about 10 years ago.

When will the world be blessed with a BTS quality near perfect Computer Strategic WW2 game?

[This message has been edited by Wilhammer (edited 01-23-2001).]

I wish I didn't sell my Ace of Aces sets. I even had a set that featured an anti-aircraft gun defending a balloon against an allied plane. Interesting stuff......

I spent hours playing B-17 Queen of the Skys. It was that game that caused me to get "Patton's Best" and "Raid on St Nazaire" solitare wargames. Never could find an opponent, so I sold my whole collection of games about 8 years ago..... frown.gif

-Ski

ps: Now I get to spend some big $$$ to get 'em back, hehehe.........

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

[This message has been edited by Teamski (edited 01-23-2001).]

Originally posted by Teamski:

I wish I didn't sell my Ace of Aces sets. I even had a set that featured an anti-aircraft gun defending a balloon against an allied plane. Interesting stuff......

I spent hours playing B-17 Queen of the Skys. It was that game that caused me to get "Patton's Best" and "Raid on St Nazaire" solitare wargames. Never could find an opponent, so I sold my whole collection of games about 8 years ago..... frown.gif

-Ski

ps: Now I get to spend some big $$$ to get 'em back, hehehe.........

I might have a near mint copy of Patton's Best I should get rid of. If you're interested, email me off forum. madorosh@home.com.

As opposed to emailing me ON forum...doh....

Originally posted by wadepm:

PanzerBlitz - 1972. I still have it and I can't wait until my son is old enough to play it with me!

I know how you feel. My son is 4 (youngest of 3 kids). I am also looking forward to sharing some of my old war games w/him. Until then I'm enjoying kid games with all three of them. I did convince the wife to play "Axis and Allies" with me once, just once.

------------------

Semper Fi.

Originally posted by Slapdragon:

In every post, I have never seen anyone who played tractics. It was, with a bunch of 3rd party mod packs (sold as bunched photocopies at conventions), the best tank game in 1978-79 and led me to squad leader. Any one else play this?

I played it a lot with my buddies on two pieces of plywood painted green. It was a lot of fun. My friend was an expert miniatures maker. He actually made molds that allowed us to make tanks and other vehicles (N scale) from plaster of paris (of course we painted them after they hardened.) We also built miniature trees, houses, hills etc... We spent a lot of weekends and summers playing. I remember that even a small battle could take hours because of the measuring and chart checking plus you had to have an umpire so it took three people to play. Ah, the good old days when I was young...sigh...

[This message has been edited by StellarRat (edited 01-24-2001).]

Originally posted by Radar:

Aces of Aces! How could I forget?

Still have my Rotary and Powerhouse WWI books. Great game. Remember when it came out. First time I played it was at (I think) Origins '80 when they took it on the road to the west coast. I think half the con bought books. Saw everyone playing it. Even during other games.

Or maybe it was the year after when the con went back to being Pacificon... Gads I'm getting old!