Poll: Newcomers, where do you get to know CM?

Hello!

Welcome to the domain of "Combat Missions: Beyond Overlord"!

Now, let's introduces yourselves and tell everybody how you get to know CMBO.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

I found it while browsing the web for WWII games.

I played the demo, and was hooked from the start.

I have several e-mail games in progress. I never play any other games except Rogue Spear and Counter-Strike.

Well, I *do* play an e-mail game of Talonsofts EFII with a friend, but I cant hardly stomach it anymore!

I'v been ruined by CM, no other game company will get money out of me for some time to come. smile.gif

(cross posted to another thread, but relevant)

I actually saw an overwhelmingly positive review in KenzerCo's half-comic, half-game magazine "Knights of the Dinner Table". Being published by a bunch of real gamers (and not corporate flacks) who's opinion I trust, I downloaded the demo and ordered it immediately. So yes, there are probably a pile of us newbies here. Don't think of us as newbies, just think of us as...cannon fodder smile.gif

My only disappointment is that some of those great websites that I was surfing while anxiously wating for the game to arrive in the mail are now shut down (Wild Bill's, Combat Missions, etc.) I was looking forward to checking out a bunch of scenarios and mods.

I'm not really a *new* newcomer anymore (got the game in November) but I'm definitely still a newbie :P

I read a blurb on the game in PcGamer about a year ago, promptly forgot about it, and then for some insane reason around October I remembered, downloaded the demo, promptly peed myself and sent out the order biggrin.gif

Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention, I'm not a wargamer. Wargaming scares me. All I know about WWII is that it was a very neat period in history smile.gif

I play CM because it's one of the greatest games I've ever seen... but it has started me into some light research on WWII, now I'm thinking of centering my Senior Project next year around interviewing local WWII veterans.

[This message has been edited by Mikhael (edited 03-06-2001).]

Been a lurker for some time here.

------------------

"Alla Keefek" is a Brit soldier's corruption of an Arabic phrase. It

means "couldn't be bothered". A Firefly of the 4th County of London Yeomanry had it painted on the rear of the turret. This Firefly was knocked out by a

Tiger from 501st SS.

We heard about it in the Mutha Beautiful Thread. Yes, we can remember quite clearly now, some imbecile said he wanted to kill us and we asked, 'with whats?' and he replied, 'With tanks and guns and such' and we replied, 'But tanks and guns and such are expensive' and he said, 'No sir, just 53USD to BTS.' and we said, 'Really?' and he said, 'No, just kidding.' and we said, 'Oh drat, because 53USD is a resonable price for tanks and guns and such.' and he said, 'Actually I was just kidding about just kidding.' and we said, 'Oh joy and rapture!' and promptly purchased CM.

I too saw a beaming review of this game in Kenzer Co.s KOTD. While many of my friends pooh-pooh the demo, I say go ahead because they're buying 1-2 games a month and never seem to be playing the same ones when I go over there the next time. Oh well, they can build up there "games I'll someday play" pile for yrs.--gimme me CMBO anyday!

------------------

This is difference between the American and the Japanese point of view in World War II

Japanese: "We'll kill you even if we have to run into you to do it"

Americans: "We'll kill you, and we don't even have to run into you to do it."

I found out through the CC2 chat room on da' zone. Not very interesting, is it? Okay, lemme tell you how I got my CC2 buddy, Homba involved...

Homba was a CC2 addict. He would play as much as me and I'd always see him on...that's right, da' zone so I told him of a new WWII game he has to check out. I told him it was half turn-based and half real time.

Him: "But it's not full real time like CC2."

Me: "No, but you play turn-based board games, don't you"

Him "Well, yes."

Me: "Ok, then. Try it out and see what you think. I know you'll love it."

Him: "Hmmm...maybe after I get bored of CC5."

Me: "Try it now. You won't be disappointed."

------------------------------------

Flash forward one month later after he gets the game....

------------------------------------

Me: "I see by looking on the ladder you haven't played much CC2 lately."

Him: "Yeah, been playing this instead."

Me, trying hard as hell not to say, "I told you so." biggrin.gif

I hope he's not reading this right now. smile.gif

------------------

Youth is wasted on the young.

My mum read the review in the New York Times, figured I'd like the game and got it for me for Xmas. Good thing too -- I was getting a bit tired of East Front II.

I wonder if the Talonsoft (ex-AH) designers are secret admirers of this game.... wouldn't be surprised.

Thanks, Mum! (no, she's not on the board, at least not as far as I know).

I've been lurking around the edges of this game ever since BTS was affiliated with Avalon Hill (I've played ASL for 7 years now). This game is, in my humble opinion, THE FIX for those of us ASLers who don't have enough time, money, or FTF opponents to participate in our hobby to the fullest.

Besides, having the computer keep track of things sure beats having a debate on rout mechanics or motion/non-stopped status... (Those of you who play ASL know what I'm talking about, those of you who don't should realize that the above paragraph only has 1/3 the density of cryptic acronyms contained in an average section of ASL rules). :)

BTW, I've actually created a little scenario that I feel is now upload-worthy. Who-what-when-how info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg "Big Red" Redeker

One of my evil chums said "Hey, have a look at this".

Wommwommmwommminstall.

*watch*

*gag*

*giggle*

*twitch*

*order*

I hate him for pushing me towards the kind of social life only a leper would welcome.

------------------

"Woof!Woof!"

That's my other dog impression.

One evening I downloaded 2 demos : Close Combat 5 and Combat Mission . I deleted the CM's demo after a few hours ( what the hell did the reviewers find so great in this crap ?? ) and the next morning I ran to buy CC5 .The same day found in some site a positive review of CC5 which ended like that : " ... CC5 is a game that is fun to play with , but if you have to spend your money one only one Wargame...buy Combat Mission

I said to myself that I surely missed something and downloaded CM's demo again and after a few hours made my order.

I played the demo until I received the full game.What about CC5 ?.I have completed only 5 missions ( still installed in my hard drive ) but since I received the CM's disc I forgot about CC5 or other games ( except BG2 !! )

I used to work at abcnews.com, and therefore had a nice computer and a fast connection. this was supposed to speed me in the efficient completion of my assignments. ButI spent most of my time on the CC2 site posting and reading.

Anyway, back in early 1999 or late 1998, someone posted there about a new game called "Combat Mission" that was making waves in grog circles. Every couple months or so I would check in on the site to see how things were going, and, well, you know the rest of the story....

Although I had *heard* of CM, I had never looked into the game until I read the posts of vehement CM fans on the BBS of a Talonsoft game which is in development right now, "GI COMBAT". The CM fans were representing that CM was painstakingly crafted to reflect unit capabilities, so I looked into it a little more, downloaded the demo and ordered the CD. BTW, I can tell right now after two weeks of play, I will wear the disk out so I purchased a second CD yesterday :). The game is absolutely AWESOME!!

I heard about in the NYT article. Of course, I doubted it could be as good as they said it was, but luckily BTS proved me wrong. I also appreciated the fact that they made it for both PC and Mac platforms. It has surpassed all my childhood memories of Squad Leader in sheer satisfaction.

I played the Over the Reich and Achtung Spitfire demos 100s of times each. They lead me to CM through BTS's website.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Mods, Scenarios, and more!

Back in 99 one of the guys that I was Beta testing Rising Sun with left the group to Alpha a new type of game. In time there were pics posted and a little discussion. I never gave it much thought until the end of last year I started reading the posts on CDMag and decided to try it out after E-Mailing a couple of the guys who had the game.

Got the game in January.... cool.gif

------------------

Order, Counterorder, Disorder. - von Moltke

[This message has been edited by CJMello (edited 03-06-2001).]