Frequently Asked Questions answered by cesspoolers from the Peng Thread(tm)

AAhh, much better now, thank-you-very-much.

I just had to go, ahem, discuss some things in the Cesspool.

Where was I? Oh yes, this is where we act civily and pose reasonable responses to the rest of the world.

Now, go forth, play the game, and Die Alot Now<sup><smallest>TM</smallest></sup>

------------------

To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee...

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well either this is an incredibly stupid question or a really hard one. Or maybe I smell, but nobody answered my post on the board and I did do a search so here it goes.

I was wondering something about FOW. While playing a PBEM game I hit my opponents armor and I saw a "Gun Hit" message. Does my opponent see the same? Or does he get a more detailed message because it's his armor. Like "Gun Hit Damaged" I guess I could play both sides in a hotseat battle but what's the chance that I'll get a gun hit.

Ok got another question. If my opponent can spot a squad and fire on it one turn if I hide the squad the next turn will he still be able to see it? Or does the AI act out some hide maneuver?

I'm just curious as to what I'm seeing different than what my opponent sees. Thanks.

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joeski:

Well either this is an incredibly stupid question<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Probably, but then we are often incredibly stupid as well. Remaining in the confines of the pool does have cognitive and developmental implications <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Or maybe I smell, but nobody answered my post on the board and I did do a search so here it goes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> If you do smell, do you REALLY think WE'd notice it? <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I was wondering something about FOW. While playing a PBEM game I hit my opponents armor and I saw a "Gun Hit" message. Does my opponent see the same? Or does he get a more detailed message because it's his armor. Like "Gun Hit Damaged" I guess I could play both sides in a hotseat battle but what's the chance that I'll get a gun hit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Not totally sure here (how's that for being insightful) as I do not see what my opponent sees.....duh! (sorry) But I believe that they either see nothing or simply gun hit. In an ongoing pbem my Hetzer took a gun hit knocking out my main gun. Seanachai didn't realize it till I blabbed about it in the pool (doh!) So he may have not seen anything about gun hit. I got no further info and thought the Hetzer was useless, only to discover (as did Sean!) that the MG was still functioning. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Ok got another question. If my opponent can spot a squad and fire on it one turn if I hide the squad the next turn will he still be able to see it? Or does the AI act out some hide maneuver?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I do not think so. By hiding you tend to break LOS. Sometimes I hide and crawl a short distance and remain out of LOS as well. However, if the opponent has "area fire" going the unit will continue to fire into that piece of ground, and you will risk taking further cas. If theAI or your opponent does it to you you see the generic marker appear.

Too add to what Berli said. The computer when picking units on defense can be really bad. In fact they only time I see worse units pick for defense..is if I pick my own.

During a meeting engagment, This isn't as bad. As the points are even and The AI picks for both sides (usualy no advantage).

During an attack, the AI picking isn't that bad. Due to the fact that any bad choices are usually offset by the extra units you recieve anyway.

That being said. I do like to let the AI pick now and again. It is one way to force yourself to play with and learn to use units you might otherwise pass over.

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

Combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX

joeski,

I don't think I'm wrong about this...

You're in the woods. You're seen and fired at. You give a "hide" order. Your unit for a brief time is still seen and then becomes a symbol (depending on nationality). After an even longer period of time and assuming the units stealthily (is that a word) moves out of its previous position it because completely hidden again.

I hope this answered your question...now stop asking questions and send the damn turn file you owe me.

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng

Why did jdmorse lose his surname?

Is he being punished for transgressions in the Cesspool by losing his family heritage?

Or does he want to be a singular name personality like "Cher", "Elvis", "Hillary", "Peng", etc?

If so, is the lower case "jd" similar to "kd lang" in indicating a disturbing coming out message to us all?

Inquiring minds want to know.

------------------

Only the Lawyer knows what Evil lurks in the minds of men....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lawyer:

Why did jdmorse lose his surname?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Standback, I'll handle this one. Since you are going for cheap thrills lawyer boy - sorry Jake, the rules of this thread forbid a total cesspool response. As I informed you on 1/2/01 in our pbem <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Nah...everyone has these clever nom de guerre, thought I'd adopt a really distinctive one......catchy huh?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So the answer is straight forward. Just a change. As to the lower case: 1) I can't type and it's more keystrokes and 2) I am lazy and and it's more keystrokes. smile.gif

Now on to tonights turn....

------------------

If frogs had uzi's, snakes woudn't mess with them so much. - Hiram

[This message has been edited by jd (edited 01-04-2001).]

Lah,

That was a nice try. But you really need to be a little more cryptic in your responses.

Being just you will have an open mind.

With an open mind you will be open-hearted.

Being open-hearted you will act with grace,

you will attain the divine.

Being divine, you will be one with the Lorak.

Being one with the Lorak is eternal.

The body will die

But the Lorak will never pass away.

Lorak the loathed

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

Combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX

and for Kitty's sake

=^..^=

Elvis I'm stepping on your blue suede shoes. IIRC which I do. We played a network game which you hosted and you saved the game. So you owe me a turn. I just figured after I toasted your two Hetzers in 10 seconds or less you'd claim a blackout episode from a new years drinking binge. But if you want to remember the horror that is your troops then press the send button on yout email. I will Pontificate and prognosticate your demise. smile.gif

Or I'll get my ass kicked. But I did smoke those Hetzers.

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

What the hey. I'll throw one out.

What is the best length (as in number of turns) for a 5000 pt QB? I think 50 works well for 3000 pt but I'm not sure about 5000.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV

Nice Lorak confused.gif

What I meant is that some people post questions without bothering to do a search, I think they just want to do a post.

But I'm a fool as I just wanted to post that biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Lah (edited 01-05-2001).]

Lah, are you saying the answer I gave to joeski is wrong. If I was I would like to be corrected.

(joeski, you were right about the file...Sorry..I know New Years eve is amatuer night and I turned pro about 8 years ago but I put a pretty good load on anyway. Sorry for the delay. And also, I would not just bail on a game, I've had it done to me and it sucks.)

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorak:

Being just you will have an open mind.

With an open mind you will be open-hearted.

Being open-hearted you will act with grace,

you will attain the divine.

Being divine, you will be one with the Lorak.

Being one with the Lorak is eternal.

The body will die

But the Lorak will never pass away.

Lorak the loathed

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, yes, the Ten Thousand Things grow and flourish, then return to the source...

Lorak, you are a sad excuse for a plagiarist... And since Peng isn't around, wink.gif

------------------

To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanir:

What the hey. I'll throw one out.

What is the best length (as in number of turns) for a 5000 pt QB? I think 50 works well for 3000 pt but I'm not sure about 5000.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vanir -

What I've started doing in the ultra-large games is to set the number of turns to 50+, but never really expecting to get there. Chances are that if you get that far without one person calling "Uncle," then neither of you are in fighting shape any more and a cease-fire is probably appropriate.

There comes a point in any game where the advance stagnates and hasn't enough firepower to gain the impetus to attack again. This typically is the point late in the game where both sides are shooting at each other from houses or treelines, there's no armor or arty left, and those squads that remain all show their ammo as LOW. My personal feeling is that the game should end here. Running debilitated squads at flags just to get victory points is kind of a crappy way to win.

So the short answer to your question: Enough to make sure that you allow ample time for the battle to be decided, but understand that you don't necessarilly have to get to the last turn if the game is really already decided.

Hope that helps.

------------------

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by saru3000:

I present to you the Meeks Memorial Mod.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is wrong with you people, do I have to explain, again, the difference between the arctic (most of Canada) and the antarctic (where Meeks allegedly went).

------------------

"With cat-like tread, Upon our prey we steal;

In silence dread, Our cautious way we feel." -G&S

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jshandorf:

Actually if I recall correctly before Meeks left he mentioned that the trip to the South was off and that they were now going to the Artic.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who cares really?!

The best part about where Meeks is reside in him being away wherever that might be.

Meeks if you can hear us in Heaven, sod off...

biggrin.gif

------------------

I just told a Cesspooler to do a search.

I feel like Jeff H...

Hiram Sedai

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Roborat:

What is wrong with you people, do I have to explain, again, the difference between the arctic (most of Canada) and the antarctic (where Meeks allegedly went).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Allow me!

The Antartic is closer to where I live than the Artic!

I think that suitably explains it all.

Thank you

Mace

Herr Oberst,

Obviously I didn't write that myself.

What really suprises me is that someone like you with the intelligence of blind fruit fly would actualy know the Tao.

Lah,

My post was ment in jest.

Lorak the loathed

follower of the ten thousand things.

------------------

Cesspool

Combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX

and for Kitty's sake

=^..^=

No no no no no no!

damn good topic idea Elvis, sidetracked now...*cough*

Ok a question:

Does the other player see the same victory score as I would, I'm sure this gives different scores to each player from banter with my opponents..?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lah:

[b

Does the other player see the same victory score as I would, I'm sure this gives different scores to each player from banter with my opponents..?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The victory score which you see is based solely on what you can see. For example, say you advance a platoon to a point 100m away from a VL which is, as far as you can tell, undefended. The VL will change to reflect the fact that you seem to have taken it, and the score will change.

If, however, your opponent has a hidden platoon right smack on top of the VL which you can't see, the VL will still belong to him in reality, and the "correct" score will reflect that.

The only time you'll ever be presented with a completely accurate score is at the AAR screen.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super