Frequently Asked Questions answered by cesspoolers from the Peng Thread(tm)

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

Does this mean I will get in trouble from some authority figure or something? What would constitute a Cesspool authority figure?

Jeff Heidman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.'

------------------

This message brought to you by

Marlow's Salvage and Wrecking Service,

Proud Sponsor of The Cesspool

aka The 'Meeks currently exists as Polar Bear excrement' Memorial Thread

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I just thought of something. I answered someones question, but I am not a participant in that sophomoric inadequacy forum you guys call the Cesspool (I spend my time in other sophomoric inadequacy contests).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. many of the references in the pool would have most sophomors scratching their heads.

2. Poolers tend toward meglomania, so inadequacy is a poor choice of words.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Does this mean I will get in trouble from some authority figure or something? What would constitute a Cesspool authority figure?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Yes

2. Sorry, that's a secret

Oh thou (oops) great fonts of wisdom and knowledge, hear my pleas for illumination on the following subjects.

What is the most cost effective type of artillery for Germans, British, and Americans?

Is it better and more cost effective to select regular or expert infantry? Tanks?

When given the option, in most situations, would you spend more points than the average player on infantry, on tanks, on artillery, or on support units?

Have you found a good (and cost effective) use for German half-tracks against American forces that likely have .50 caliber MGs?

How do you beat a strategy under the rule of 76s in a meeting engagement where your opponent pushes forward to the objectives with an infantry screen with Panthers behind them in an overwatch position and hidden guns or hull-down tanks guarding the flanks?

Berli has mentioned Fionn, Tomcat, and Sgt Morgue as great CM players. Do the rest of you agree, and what other players do the Cesspool denizens consider to be the toughest CM opponents?

Finally, does anyone know a really good Italian restaurant in Salt Lake City?

[This message has been edited by kunzler (edited 12-28-2000).]

A general comment on armor use touched on by Marlow. When I stopped using AFV's (other than the Stuart-puma-recon roles) as singlets and paired them up [if I can employ a platoon together even better] I found my succss rate in the game went up. This is one of those "If you are going to do ONE thing, do this" type of things that can pay big dividends.

Of course to my PBEM fodder ignore what I just said. Also I reserve the right to ignore my own advice when conditions warrant. However, gentle reader starting to do things, even against the tactical s.o.p. is okay, if you have a really VALID and well thought out reason.

------------------

If frogs had uzi's, snakes woudn't mess with them so much. - Hiram

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kunzler:

What is the most cost effective type of artillery for Germans, British, and Americans? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

American - For smoke and suppression You can't beat the 81 mm. For something with a little bigger BOOM, the 4.2 mortars are an excellent choice. The fast response time for mortars, particularly American mortars, significantly increases the ease of use.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Is it better and more cost effective to select regular or expert infantry? Tanks?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For infantry, I prefer regulars. If you keep them in command, they are effective enough, and I personally don't believe that the cost premium for Vets is worth it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

How do you beat a strategy under the rule of 76s in a meeting engagement where your opponent pushes forward to the objectives with an infantry screen with Panthers behind them in an overwatch position and hidden guns or hull-down tanks guarding the flanks? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't play with the 76 rule, but I have not found any situation where the proper utilization of tank destroyers has not solved the problem of German armor, even heavies. M18s are my favorite unit in CM.

For enemy armor, see previous posts re: Tank destroyers in this thread.

For Panthers in particular, the key is to obtain a flanking shot either by ambush, or by presenting the Panther with multiple targets far enough apart that at least one can pop the big cat in its weak side armor.

------------------

This message brought to you by

Marlow's Salvage and Wrecking Service,

Proud Sponsor of The Cesspool

aka The 'Meeks currently exists as Polar Bear excrement' Memorial Thread

Guest Mirage2k

Oh! I've got a question!!!! Mr. Cesspooler, sir!!!

I haven't done any sort of in-depth test on the subject, but it seems like when any sort of vehicle goes over an antipersonnel mine, nothing happens. Were AP mines set to ignore any weight above a certain threshhold? Otherwise, wouldn't a commander just order a few heavy tanks to stay at the head of a formation as it moved through a corridor?

And is this thread really trademarked? What if I thought of it first?

-Andrew

------------------

"No, it's not that kind of relationship. We're just friends. We are together all the time, but I never touch her porcelain skin, her soft, red lips, like rose petals from the emperor's bathwater! Bathwater, I tell you, bathwateeeeeeer!"

Having tanks lead the way through AP minefields is actually an excellent idea.

Which is why it is SOP to always mix some AT mines into your AP minefield, making the idea not so good after all.

However, I do not think CM models any of that anyway.

Jeff Heidman

[This message has been edited by Jeff Heidman (edited 12-28-2000).]

IMHO leading with tanks in CM is dangerous to your health. I'd rather lose a guy or two to a mine than have a tank hit a mine. Also putting tanks out in front of infantry is asking for the old 'zook up the wah-hooter

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kunzler:

Oh though (sic) great fonts of wisdom and knowledge, hear my pleas for illumination on the following subjects.

What is the most cost effective type of artillery for Germans, British, and Americans?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Supplicant asks with appropriate humility, therefore We will answer.

Since no one has mentioned it, let me put in a quick word for the British 3" mortar on-board. I've had excellent results with it as both AP and light AT (HTs and opened tops) -- although I haven't used it since 1.05 came out and its anti-armor effectiveness may have been reduced. The 25 lber is also an excellent all-purpose artillery choice.

As has been said, you can't beat the US 81mm for suppression, accuracy, and cost-effectiveness. I have less to say on German artillery, because I almost never have any.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Is it better and more cost effective to select regular or expert infantry? Tanks?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is really a matter of taste. Some people prefer fewer, better troops; others prefer sheer weight of numbers. Personally, I would rather have the points equivalent of regulars over veteran, but I'd take veterans over masses of greens or conscripts.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>When given the option, in most situations, would you spend more points than the average player on infantry, on tanks, on artillery, or on support units?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no definitive answer to this question. This is truly, as they say in academe, a multi-factor system. More specifically, it depends on the side, the conditions, the mission, the opposition, the weather, the phase of the moon and how much bone creakin', trailer shakin', booty smackin', wake up the neighbors monkey love I'm gettin' at any given time.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Have you found a good (and cost effective) use for German half-tracks against American forces that likely have .50 caliber MGs?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Use their high-performance, precision-engineered, racing-tested power trains to drive your troops in leather-seated comfort

to a safe drop off point. Then get their asses out of there until you've suppressed Ma Deuce. Alternatively, bring up something that can go boom from a fair distance off and suppress the hell out of GI Joe.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>How do you beat a strategy under the rule of 76s in a meeting engagement where your opponent pushes forward to the objectives with an infantry screen with Panthers behind them in an overwatch position and hidden guns or hull-down tanks guarding the flanks?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two words, my friend: Ar-tillery. If you have the resources, cut off the vanguard from the overwatching armor with smoke and shell them to bits, or just open up on them with MG fire from cover. Smoke will also cover a move against his flank while you check his advance in the center. Do not attempt this without very good intelligence as to what your opponent has and where he has hidden it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Berli has mentioned Fionn, Tomcat, and Sgt Morgue as great CM players. Do the rest of you agree, and what other players do the Cesspool denizens consider to be the toughest CM opponents?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a bunch of panty-waists and you may tell them I said so. For a real challenge, try Hiram: he is an Eagles fan and gets what he deserves.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Finally, does anyone know a really good Italian restaurant in Salt Lake City?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no good food in Salt Lake City, unless you like pie.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

[This message has been edited by Hakko Ichiu (edited 12-28-2000).]

BTW I think Berch mentioned earlier that the (Mot)Pioneer platoons have 4 squads, which is correct, but you should keep in mind that these squds do not have a lot of firepower. They are a good reserve platoon or security platoon but nothing else really.

And for all this mumbo jumbo on what to do with your Allied armor, it really all depends on how you want to use it. And for the poor bastard that always loses his TDs I would suggest hunting in groups. Safety in numbers I always say....

As for that talk of wether veterans are better than regulars... Etc... Well, I find that that if you have purpose for more experience troops you will need them but if you are just planning on sending them into the grinder regulars do just find.

Jeff

------------------

I once killed a six pack just to watch it die.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What is the most cost effective type of artillery for Germans, British, and Americans?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, this is entirely dependent on what you want to use it for. 81s are an obvious choice if you like to toss about the occasional smoke round. The German 21cm gun gives god bang for the buck. US 105s and 155s depending on how much hitting power you need. As for the Brits... I avoid playing the Brits, so I really don't know. Oh, one more thing... the German 75 is not worth even its small cost

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Is it better and more cost effective to select regular or expert infantry? Tanks?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, it largely depends on the mission. Elite infantry are great, but if you're defending, you won't have enough to defend with. With tanks, regulars (or worse) are fine in a purely infantry support role... against enemy armor, you want vets or better

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>When given the option, in most situations, would you spend more points than the average player on infantry, on tanks, on artillery, or on support units?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always go infantry heavy... armor is an after thought

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Have you found a good (and cost effective) use for German half-tracks against American forces that likely have .50 caliber MGs?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, don't buy them. Trucks are cheaper, and about as survivable.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>How do you beat a strategy under the rule of 76s in a meeting engagement where your opponent pushes forward to the objectives with an infantry screen with Panthers behind them in an overwatch position and hidden guns or hull-down tanks guarding the flanks?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Repeat the mantra... smoke is my friend

As much as it pains me to say it, this thread actually has a frighteningly high level of lucidity and useful information...that said riddle me this Batmen:

What is an time tested 'Pool approved method for getting FO's forward enough to call in effective fire? Mine always seem to be in the wrong place, ie. too far back to see what needs the gentle ministations of my arty.

by THumpre:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What is an time tested 'Pool approved method for getting FO's forward enough to call in effective fire? Mine always seem to be in the wrong place, ie. too far back to see what needs the gentle ministations of my arty.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That really is a matter of player choice. When on defense I usually try to determain what the enemies main line of advance will be and place my spotters with LOS to that area. Also don't forget the value of markers. If your pretty sure of the line of advance place your FO where they can cover the most ground and fill in the small areas out of LOS with targeting markers. (like the middle of that big patch of woods your sure they will use as cover).

When on the attack or during a ME, it is a little more difficult. Treat them much like you would a flame thrower team. scout the terrain and find a good place for them to post up and support your attack. move them forward (usually one turn behind your force) until your attack force is in position and has cleared out the FO's area of operation. When getting FO's into position it is better to be a little slow than to be spotted. I usually use sneak and crawl until he has posted up.

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

I'd second what Lorak said. Pay attention to lines of movement that can get you to where you will think they are useful with minimum of chance of being spotted. Do not run them across wide open spaces. Sneak them. In a recent game the location I wanted to get them to was a hill crest outside of the setup area. Only trouble was there was an open area to the trees. I spent two turns having him crawl to the woods, then sneak to the edge.

Also placing FO's in obvious places like the large 2 story building overlooking the valley can be risky and asking for trouble. Perhaps the woods a little over may not have as good a view, but less likely to attract shelling.

Another trick I use with sneak is to be sure to have FO's sneak into houses or thru woods towards the edge. Using "move" can give away their presence.

As for high levels of lucidity, well that is only a relative function, if you can understand us, be afraid, very afraid.

------------------

Thumpre,

It may be silly to post just to say this but jdmorses words could not be more true. Listen to them and you will improve your game immediately. I learned the value of what a difference having your FOs positioned with an LOS can be. Fionn schredded me one game with arty so bad it still hurts and that was a game played in August.

Which leads to another answer. I believe Fionn is unbeatable. He is inhuman. His sense of playing this game is unmatched. If you can get a game or two from him (which you will lose badly and quickly) you will learn a great deal about CM and tactical level WWII warfare. He is also very generous in his advise. And he is a an honorable gentelman. I have lost very few games since playing him...I don't say that to brag (this time) but to let you know how much getting spanked around by someone who is much better than you can improve your game. As far as pool players go I hear MarkIV is good but he avoids my, Germanboy is good, Peng is very good. Hiram, Berli, Moriarty and Croda are cannon fodder.

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng

1)How do my units get a sound contact on a concrete pill box at 600 meters?

2) when i tell a tank to hide does it try to find something big to get behind like a house?

3) my 105mm FO's take it upon themselves to call in arty on the enemy as i have infantry assaulting the line. now this happens in real life sure, but after a point i just want my arty guys to lay low but they keep showing bad judgement. i dont want to search for all my FO's and make sure they are just sitting still. i ensuered i canceled all arty missions prior but two turns later rounds came in AFTER i took the town

I have to agree with Elvis here.

Nothing will improve your game like playing against someone much better than yourself.

I was luckly enough to play Fionn when the Gold beta came out. Even managed to beat him (** Note: I was the americans in VoT, so the victory is very hollow. On an even map there is no doubt he would beat me like the red-headed child I am.**)

But in playing him, even in this lopsided scenario I learned a lot about ambushes, reverse slope defenses ect...

For the chance at playing those better than myself... I'll take losing and learning over a win any day.

This works really well if you work with the person up front and tell them you are looking for advice on game improvment. Just be man enough( when you get your butt kicked) to accept the advice that is given and learn to use it. Too many people take criticism of their playing style very badly.

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

1)How do my units get a sound contact on a concrete pill box at 600 meters?

2) when i tell a tank to hide does it try to find something big to get behind like a house?

3) my 105mm FO's take it upon themselves to call in arty on the enemy as i have infantry assaulting the line. now this happens in real life sure, but after a point i just want my arty guys to lay low but they keep showing bad judgement. i dont want to search for all my FO's and make sure they are just sitting still. i ensuered i canceled all arty missions prior but two turns later rounds came in AFTER i took the town

1) I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Are you asking how can your pillbox hear someone 600m away or how can they be heard.

2) Tanks hiding just means the idle lower to try to be quiter and thus not cause a sound contact.

3) I have never heard of or seen this happening.

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng

ok to clarify the first one... well my attacking men hear a sound contact that is really a pillbox "Pill box?" when i click the national marker.

and with the FO i must admit that it is quite possible that i just lost track of an FO but on tow occations i think they took initiative that wasted my men.

Couple of questions

1. I'm looking for advice on game improvement anyone (MarkIV, Germanboy, Peng, or anyone else want to take me to school?

2. If you melt dry ice can you go swimming without getting wet?

3. What do you add to powdered water?

4. If your driving at the speed of light and you turn your headlights on will they work?

5. If it zero degrees out today and It's going to be twice as cold tomorrow what will the tempature be?

Serious what about #1?

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Can you build a custom map in the editor and then use it in a quick battle?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, sort of. There are two ways.

1. This only works if you trust your opponent and there is only one setup zone per player. Open the map in the editor and buy the Allied troops. Send the file to your opponent and he opens it in the editor and buys the Germans. He then starts a new game using the completed scenario and plays the Germans.

2. Both players buy their troops (one buys them on map, the other writes his purchases down). Both are sent to a neutral third party to put the scenario together.

Either method works very well

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>When I post a reply to a question on the board I noticed that there is a spell check button at the bottom of the page. How does it work and why don't more people use it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it pops up a new window that spell checks your post. It probably gets little use as it is slow as molassas