Frequently Asked Questions answered by cesspoolers from the Peng Thread(tm)

This Sucks i leave the board for a few months and Peng has spread, is their no end to this pollution.Whatever ever happened to the pre-demo joys of 88mm velocity in mist, or will we be allowed to make our own gun noises.oh and 42 is a a brain cell count of someone whose name will not be said,benny.

Hamsters don,t ya just luv em

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so here's a real one. Let's say a guy who uses a Mac has been away in some foreign land for a couple of months and off the boil (so to speak) on all things CM. How about these mod-thingies?

Are they worth getting for the Mac? Who likes what and how easy are they do add on?

Your responses will be screened by your cessyness, so wannabes need not respond.

Joanna Mac user from 1985 and I believe my credentials and CV are appropriate.

Mods YES. Get both of the CM MacMod managers. They make handling the mods a snap. As for the mods, I hardly have any original textures left. Vehicles, terrain, uniforms all changed. If it has a mod available I have changed it, some several times. I use a iMac Dvd and have no slowing or CPU hit with high res, so except for grass I have high res if available.

Main decsion these days is whether to use subdued textures. They are cooler and darker. Frankly I prefer the brighter regular look. It's personal I suppose.

But load those puppies up. As we get our game going I'll be happy to run down what I have.

Cheers

jd

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Forever Babra:

42 is not the meaning of life. 42 is the answer to the question life the universe and everything. Clearly you've had one too many Ouisgian sodas. biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dang, you beat me to it. Of course, you must ask "what is the question" first. Have a Pan Galatic Gargle Blaster on me. wink.gif

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jshandorf:

Any old corpse - Corpse + 4 days = X

thus,

Any old corpse - Corpse = 4 days + X

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff,

Thanks for the quick response, and the time taken to answer my question. I appreciate it, mate! smile.gif

However, I can see why you chose a career in Law because, frankly, your use of mathematics suck!!!

The final formula should be:

Any old corpse - corpse = X - 4 days

That means the rest of your treatise is plain wrong, unless of course you're using lawyer fee charging mathematics?

Mace

Thanks counsellor, d/loading the mod managers now. Why both? Don't they do the same thing? Also, is there a place where I can preview some of the mods vehicles to see which ones I want?

Finally, where were we on our game prep? We were looking at a Rune map with units up to 1500 pts and me as the krauts, yes?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ironcross:

will we be allowed to make our own gun noises.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why, yes, you can:

Assuming you have a microphone and a sound input with your computer,

Open Start, Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Sound Recorder (in Win 98*).

The VCR controls will appear. Face the microphone squarely and press the red Record button.

Make a gun noise, or shoot a real gun. "GWEE-OOO-EW" with a falling gargly bit works well, but only for post-44 German 75s, as an example. If you choose to shoot a real gun, BE SURE to insert the muzzle into your mouth first. This will prevent damage to your mic inputs.

Save the file with the same name as one of the CM WAV directory gun-noise files.

Copy the file into that directory and select "yes" to replace the existing file.

Bingo (or should I say Bang!... confused.gif only with 37mm and below!)- you have a custom gun noise!

*If you have a Mac, it probably already came with cool gun noises made by professional mouth models and you only have to look at it right to substitute them.

Thanks for contacting the Peng Thread FAQ!

"Sludge... helping People!"

Goanna:

I use both mac managers. the CM MacMod (boplinger's) works with open windows and cursor drop & drag. It is my initial choice to install new mods. Select drag and drop. Then skip thru to see what they look like. It is a bit faster because it does less.

The Mac CM ModManager (aikidorat's) uses folders. Fine in it's way but as a mac user from way back, dragging and dropping icons is ingrained. The MCM3 handles more advanced features. Also allows sound installation (CM MacMod doesn't) and is elegant to restore or copy out picts from the graphics.

I find I use both depending on situation and between them takes care of what is needed.

Most mods have jpg files in with them. Both managers allow previewing of the individual bmp's although CM MacMod is faster at this. Some sites, notably Kump's http://www.gkump.com/cm/ has comparisons. CMHQ has screen shots of vetted mods.

I HIGHLY reccomend Deanco's gunmetal interface mod http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/ It replaces the buttons and symbols at the page bottom. Also the various flag mods for more historically accurate display, ie swastika.

Waiting on my isp to restore email. Parameter's are correct. I already talked to rune. He'll do a map. I trust you not to look, but then I am a lawyer, so better come up with my retainer to enforce my loyalty smile.gif

[This message has been edited by jd (edited 01-11-2001).]

Well if you jackasses don't know the answer to a question, just say so! You bunch of damned grog wannabes.

------------------

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Croda:

Here's an actual serious question, everyone: Using Allied armor, what's the largest range you would suggest engaging Axis armor at? I'm having problems where 2 Chaffees, 1 Super Pershing, 2 vanilla M4s, 1 Jackson, and a Sherm 76 can't hit anything smaller than Meeks' megalomania. I'm engaging Panters and MkIVs at ranges from 800 - 1500 meters, and while the Axis armor is hitting, my shots aren't anywhere close. Is this simply too far for Allied armor to engage from? or am I just having "one of those games" (or "all of those games" for me). Anyone want to tell me what a foo I am?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, what is their experience? You should get hits beyond 1,000m, I know I have. 1,500 may be a bit far out. Also, remember the old 'move it or lose it'. I have seen German tanks hit comfortably at 1,800 - 2,000m, but only stationary targets. Pedal to the metal, shoot smoke, close the distance, use available cover. Good luck.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Mod question for the big brained fellows:

I'm stuck with Christmas trees and snowmen. I was slightly inebriated when I installed that mod and now I can't show trees when its snows because of how distracting they are.

What mod should I install to overwrite the snowmen etc? I also have the half track guys with permanant red helmits. hehe

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Here's an actual serious question, everyone: Using Allied armor, what's the largest range you would suggest engaging Axis armor at? I'm having problems where 2 Chaffees, 1 Super Pershing, 2 vanilla M4s, 1 Jackson, and a Sherm 76 can't hit anything smaller than Meeks' megalomania. I'm engaging Panters and MkIVs at ranges from 800 - 1500 meters, and while the Axis armor is hitting, my shots aren't anywhere close. Is this simply too far for Allied armor to engage from? or am I just having "one of those games" (or "all of those games" for me). Anyone want to tell me what a foo I am?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Use cover and smoke to get withing 600m. Unless you're facing MkIVs, chances are that you aren't going to do much beyond 500m. Problem is that the Americans have never developed a decent high velocity gun... even today (our guns are British and German designs).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

I'm stuck with Christmas trees and snowmen. I was slightly inebriated when I installed that mod and now I can't show trees when its snows because of how distracting they are.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hiram you DID save them didn't you?! Sigh, prob not. There is a list of bmp's posted at Manx's Combat Missions site at http://WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK/bmplist.htm try there to see what ones. Or just reload the bmp's from the orig mod download. I always keep a copy of the original downloads after I install them so if in a drunken spasm of mod mixing and alcohol I can restore them.

Here's an actual serious question, everyone: Using Allied armor, what's the largest range you would suggest engaging Axis armor at? I'm having problems where 2 Chaffees, 1 Super Pershing, 2 vanilla M4s, 1 Jackson, and a Sherm 76 can't hit anything smaller than Meeks' megalomania. I'm engaging Panters and MkIVs at ranges from 800 - 1500 meters, and while the Axis armor is hitting, my shots aren't anywhere close. Is this simply too far for Allied armor to engage from? or am I just having "one of those games" (or "all of those games" for me). Anyone want to tell me what a foo I am?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In all honesty Croda I was kind of cringing myself when I saw how many tanks of yours I wiped out last turn.

I would be watching one tanks perspective and then out of the corner of my eye I would see another one of your tanks gets whacked. Damn.

You want my opinion on what you should have done? Here it is....

1. Move like a raped ape.

2. Safety in numbers.

If you pull it off fast enough I won't have time to bring all my armor to bear on you so you will always out number me. Sure you will lose tanks but atleast you will get a few of mine in the exchange. And that is what matters.

I was thinking about our battle and in essence it almost exactly simulates what a typical American armored force faced when going up against German armor. Sucks doesn't it?

Another tactic you could have use is the "run and hide" tactic. That is...advance your armor so that I only see it for a few seconds while you move it from cover to cover.

If I were you I would have grouped those Sherman 76s with that Super Pershing of yours.

In our next big battle Croda I will attack with the Allies so that you can see what I am talking about.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jshandorf (edited 01-11-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

Jeff,

Thanks for the quick response, and the time taken to answer my question. I appreciate it, mate! smile.gif

However, I can see why you chose a career in Law because, frankly, your use of mathematics suck!!!

The final formula should be:

Any old corpse - corpse = X - 4 days

That means the rest of your treatise is plain wrong, unless of course you're using lawyer fee charging mathematics?

Mace<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I am not a lawyer, I am a computer programmer and in all truth I have a degree in Mathematics to boot. Now wonder I gave it up.....

Only you would have analyzed that formula. wink.gif

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jd:

Originally posted by wwb_99:

What is the meaining of life?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>iirc......44

Trust a lawyer to pad his numbers

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jshandorf:

Actually I am not a lawyer, I am a computer programmer and in all truth I have a degree in Mathematics to boot. Now wonder I gave it up.....

Only you would have analyzed that formula. wink.gif

Jeff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoops my apologies, Jeff. I had you confused with JD.

Also my apologies for the previous sentence, It must come as a large insult to you! wink.gif

btw, Given your obvious "expertise" in mathematics, you don't cut code for financial institutions do you?

Mace

Guest Hiram_Sedai

How do I effectively deploy my infantry?

The Y formation was suggested to me by dog-face boy but that has not worked that well.

When you attack, how do you move your infantry closer? Do the Axis have better long range and the Allied have better close range?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hiram_Sedai:

How do I effectively deploy my infantry?

The Y formation was suggested to me by dog-face boy but that has not worked that well.

When you attack, how do you move your infantry closer? Do the Axis have better long range and the Allied have better close range? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, the formation I favor is the wedge (center squad in advance of the flank squads with the platoon HQ in the middle. How to advance? Largely dependent on terrain. As a general rule, the best course is to scout forward. Break a platoon down into teams and move them in advance of your line, or have one squad move forward as the other two wait in covered positions.

A good rule of thumb is avoid close ranged firefights with the Germans. Many of their squad types are deadly up close.