Frequently Asked Questions answered by cesspoolers from the Peng Thread(tm)

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scott Clinton

Move to contact is a move until the enemy is sighted (ie contact with the enemy is established).

In essense the order would work for infantry exactly the way the "HUNT" command works for tanks and AFVs.

The problem is that AI (artifial intel.) is a bitch to program. It takes a lot of time to write the code and a lot, lot more time to play test and tweak the code to get it just right (I know I have done wee bit of it myself).

According to the BTS company line it is so much work that it will not happen until CMII. That is not until after CM2, CM3 and CM4 (if they all come to pass). In other words several years and several games from now.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Dear Denizens:

Like, there's this rilly cute girl in my 3rd period History class and, like, I think she's cute and stuff, but she, like, completely ignores me and stuff, but like now that we're studying WW2 (ya know, that war Saving Private Ryan was about), I was thinking that if I, like, told her about Combat Mission she might think I was cool, and stuff.

So waddya guys think?

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by von Lucke:

So waddya guys think?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The presence of Kitty and other female CM players notwithstanding, there are few women who will be impressed by your PBEM record, or your ability to quote on a moment's notice the various armour values of a King Tiger. Best don't mention it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Hi Mom!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You had better stuff your "Hi, Mom's" in a sack mister!!

As for the movement to contact, BTS should include the tip-toe, meander, and waltz moves.

tip-toeWil-E-Coyote started this one. Sneak up on the enemy and them pummel him with a large anvil.

meander This is a John Wayne move. Mostly done with hands on hips and hat cocked to the side. Enemy sees you coming but wants your autograph.

waltz A bluffing move that makes your troops seem more important than they really are. A squad of 3 men can seem to be like a squad of 12. Helps to have bandolaroes. (sp?)

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Ok I have a couple of questions? And some 6th grade taunts.

1. What is the best German infantry platoon overall? Of course everyone has a different opinion and SMG platoons, and rifle platoons, are better in different situations, but can you rate on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) Heer, Security, Mt. troops, etc.. (you know the names, I won't butcher them with my inferior spelling)

2. What's the best use for any engineer platoon? Mine get cut up pretty bad no matter what I do with them.

Thanks for any replies you pink panty wearing, boney girl arm, cheese eaten surrender monkeys.

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

Seems this thread could become an offshot of the Peng thread at this rate. Be that as it may... a serious question... from your immense Cesspooling experience how the hell do you use bloody M10 a.k.a. Wolverine's effectively? No matter if I purchase veteran crews, hunt them up a ridgeline with an enemy tank already targetted, sneak them around my opponents flank- they ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS die horrible deaths whilst doing s.f.a. to the enemy. Perhaps the simple answer is simply not to purchase them despite it being a poor mans way to get hold of mobile 76mm AT guns as it seems to me they fire slowly and never seem to hit their mark whilst the Axis units invariably hit them by the 2nd shot at the latest.

Your thoughts anyone?

Regards

Jim R.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

Seems this thread could become an offshot of the Peng thread at this rate. Be that as it may... a serious question... from your immense Cesspooling experience how the hell do you use bloody M10 a.k.a. Wolverine's effectively? No matter if I purchase veteran crews, hunt them up a ridgeline with an enemy tank already targetted, sneak them around my opponents flank- they ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS die horrible deaths whilst doing s.f.a. to the enemy. Perhaps the simple answer is simply not to purchase them despite it being a poor mans way to get hold of mobile 76mm AT guns as it seems to me they fire slowly and never seem to hit their mark whilst the Axis units invariably hit them by the 2nd shot at the latest.

Your thoughts anyone?

Regards

Jim R.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The simple answer is to use the M18 instead. The hellcat has two big advantages, fast speed and a fast turret, both of which are invaluable for obtaining flank shots on axis armor. Since most German tank guns will take out any American TD, the Hellcat's thinner armor is not much of a drawback.

Also, especially in larger battles, the M18's speed allows you to shift your armor and concentrate your firepower fairly easily.

Historically, the M10 was only a stopgap measure until the M18 was available anyway.

------------------

This message brought to you by

Marlow's Salvage and Wrecking Service,

Proud Sponsor of The Cesspool

aka The 'Meeks currently exists as Polar Bear excrement' Memorial Thread

[This message has been edited by Marlow (edited 12-28-2000).]

As far as tactics for TDs, operate them it pairs, and if you have enough, in teams of pairs. For paired TDs, keep them close together so that they have basically the same line of sight. Then when you have one enemy tank in line of sight, chances are that you will get off two shots for every return shot. keep your TDs in locations that they are exposed to at most one enemy tank at a time if possible

If you have more than one pair, or if you only have 2 TDs and you find yourself up against German armor that can't be penetrated from the front, attack from more than one location (i.e. one pair from the front, and one from the side). Try not to expose yourself until all your tanks are in position to shoot.

Finally, as most German tanks have a slow turret, try to distract the enemy with another target (e.g. bazooka team) before exposing your TD. This should give you time to get at least one unreturned shot.

------------------

This message brought to you by

Marlow's Salvage and Wrecking Service,

Proud Sponsor of The Cesspool

aka The 'Meeks currently exists as Polar Bear excrement' Memorial Thread

[This message has been edited by Marlow (edited 12-28-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joeski:

1. What is the best German infantry platoon overall?..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have developed a personal fondness for the PzGren (mot) squad. It's ten (10) men and usually has a good allotment of panzerfausts, I try to get veteran if I can. I think the extra experience can make up for the extra pts. It has a mixture of rifle, smg and lmg's inheent in squad strength. So if it requires a good squad for all conditions this is what I go with. For in close work, like woods, I look to go with SMG/HMG platoons. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

2. What's the best use for any engineer platoon? Mine get cut up pretty bad no matter what I do with them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah that happens. Depends on scenario. Picking up FT's on defense can surprise the other side, at least briefly. But in a wooded engagement fires can occur that act as defensive fortifications. In Meeting engage. I avoid getting them as I figure no mines. Other than to have them for the sake of having them I usually avoid them. With a scenario with 2-3 tanks, they won't help much for mine clearing as you lose a tamnk to discover it. However on the attack/assault actions you need them to take out pillboxes etc (with satchels as your FT is both slow and prob dead at this point!). Here smoke can be your best friend. I use them as follow on troops. Discover the obstacle, suppress surronding troops, smoke pillbox, bring in engineers. For my money, generally not worth the expense usless specically needed for scenario <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Thanks for any replies you pink panty wearing, boney girl arm, cheese eaten surrender monkeys.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No that's Hiram you are speaking of. The rest of us are lumberjacks and we're okay

------------------

If frogs had uzi's, snakes woudn't mess with them so much. - Hiram

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>1. What is the best German infantry platoon overall? Of course everyone has a different opinion and SMG platoons, and rifle platoons, are better in different situations, but can you rate on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) Heer, Security, Mt. troops, etc.. (you know the names, I won't butcher them with my inferior spelling)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Barring special circumstances, the Fallschirmjagers are the best. Next on the list would be Moterised Pioniers (4 squads per platoon). Gebirgsjagers and Volksgrenadier Fusiliers are best when you can be sure of close ranged engagements.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>2. What's the best use for any engineer platoon? Mine get cut up pretty bad no matter what I do with them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I expect that if this is true, your other squads are getting cut up also. As with all infantry, they survive best if used in ambush (defence) or leap-frogged forward (attack). The flamethrowers should be used in ambush, or use covered approaches if on the attack. It would be easier if I knew what you were doing with them now... then I could tell you what you are doing wrong.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Seems this thread could become an offshot of the Peng thread at this rate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oddly enough, we are serious about this thread. The intention is to actually provide a service.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Be that as it may... a serious question... from your immense Cesspooling experience how the hell do you use bloody M10 a.k.a. Wolverine's effectively?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, Marlow has the right of it. I'll only add that its best to identify the enemy armor threat before revealing your TDs. Hold them back until the enemy tanks are committed, then try to approach to give yourself the advantage. A useful trick is to hunt forward then reverse. This way, the TD will hunt forward, engage and then reverse back into cover (also effective with StuGs)

Berlichtingen: Actually I do ok with other infantry. I play some TCP/IP games where we let the computer buy. And of course I get engineer squads. They get ate up against any other infantry squad they face. Should I keep them back or move them in close??? I figured I had to move them in or be outnumbered. Which I was anyway. But just looking for suggestions which you provided!

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

Guest Germanboy

1. What is the best German infantry platoon overall?

2. What's the best use for any engineer platoon? Mine get cut up pretty bad no matter what I do with them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Difficult to say - if you have few points (e.g 1000 pt ME), security companies are a pretty good investment I find because you get a whole company at a low cost with some support thrown in. If you are concerned about value for money, buy according to terrain.

2. Close-quarter infighting. Flamethrowers are deadly in woods when in ambush, and can area target houses with OPFOR in them. Demo charges make for a nasty surprise when hand-delivered in close combat between two squads. I have seen a German squad reduced from 9 to 7 when a US engineer squad hit them with one (!) demo charge in a building.

On TDs - Wolverines are not very useful, although they look impressive IRL. Since you can not use them as they were used a lot historically (but against doctrine) in an infantry support role, due to their low ammo load-out, I would utilise them in an overwatch role, guarding your infantry from behind against German tanks. The threat posed by them could be enough to deter the German player from using his tanks in a close-support role, thereby giving your infantry breathing space. If that fails, gang up on single German tanks with three or four of them. With the low turret rotation of German tanks you may lose one, but the German player will also have some scrapmetal.

As Berli said, we are serious about this thread, and we will ignore those who do not take us serious, they disqualify themselves in front of the board through their actions. To the others, just come and ask. This thread was borne out of Russell_MZ's FAQ thread that we tried to bump creatively and an idea by David Aitken.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-28-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

...from your immense Cesspooling experience how the hell do you use bloody M10 a.k.a. Wolverine's effectively?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another thing I've begun to do with TDs is to use them in overwatch positions. I try to find them a good shielded spot where they cannot be engaged from any direction except for their 12 o'clock. This position should also overwatch my advancing armor/inf. My goal behind this is to have the AFVs with better armor go forward with the infantry, and leave the more susceptible TDs in overwatch to pick off any enemy armor that shows itself. This method has worked fairly well in the limited use I've given it.

------------------

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

Yeh, thanks guys for your replies, I certainly will take it seriously. Just a couple of things on the suggestion to choose M18's instead... if you've got the British the only cheap alternative to a 76mm toting AFV is a Wolverine (c.f. a Firefly for instance and I'll certainly NEVER pick one of those god awful Archers)- which can be critical if you're playing a 1,000 point or less game.

The other point is that the suggestion to hunt up a rise then reverse can be a bit iof a Catch 22 if you also use veteran or better crew as this often doesn't leave enough time for the AFV to locate the target, aim & loose off a shot before it starts reversing again due to their greater efficiency. You see my frustration... but as they say... such is life.

Regards

Jim R.

Ok I just thought of another question Actually about a PBEM I'm in now. What would be the best course of action?

Here's the setting: Huge city map with many avenues of attack. I have a crack zook team hidden on the top floor of a building that sits at a corner where two roads cross. I kind of left him there on his own as a guess that my opponent would use that route for spotting. Seems he likes it more than that. Zook spots 4-6 armored vehicles coming his way (a mix of puma's and light to med tanks. there not fully id yet) Should I :

A) Wait till they pass and shoot them in the ass.

B) Let them go by unscathed. And move on them later.

C) Open fire and hope I get one before they destroy the zook.

I was thinking of setting an ambush for when they pass my zook but Once the movie starts you never know what will happen. He could stop 2 in front of the building and let the rest go forward. Any advice from the septic tankers?

------------------

1. What is the best German infantry platoon overall? Of course everyone has a different opinion and SMG platoons, and rifle platoons, are better in different situations, but can you rate on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) Heer, Security, Mt. troops, etc.. (you know the names, I won't butcher them with my inferior spelling)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without a doubt the best German infantry unit is the Sturmgrouppe. 13 men, lots of firepower, can lose 5 men and still have the strength of a typical German squad.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

2. What's the best use for any engineer platoon? Mine get cut up pretty bad no matter what I do with them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Engineers in CM are not much more useful than a regualr unit. The satchel charges can be devastating at very close range, but then, all short ranged combat is devastating. They are certainly useful for taking out fortifications, but, at the same time, in my experience by the time you can get infantry onto the flanks of a fortification, you can pretty much ignore them anyway.

Jeff Heidman

C) Open fire and hope I get one before they destroy the zook.

I was thinking of setting an ambush for when they pass my zook <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A very fortunate position to be in.

The ambush will guarantee that the zook takes a shot at the first one, and the rest of the AFVs will waste him, unless you place the ambush marker down the road past his building. Put it well past the building but still crossing the road.

Since he is Crack, he will probably maintain his Hide status until the first AFV has passed the building and is approaching the ambush marker. By then, however, he will have juicy targets right in front of him and his own AI may pick a better target. If the opponent stops just short of the building he will remain hidden, and you will have another decision to make next turn, but with better targeting possibilities.

I would want to let the softer Puma pass and go for the point-blank on one of the harder-to-kill mediums. Hopefully you are not in a light building, where the backblast may ignite the building... frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Should I :

C) Open fire and hope I get one before they destroy the zook.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry... its out of your hands. If the zook can see the intersection that the tanks are going through, the AI will decide what he does... there is no "hold your fire" command. The only way to let them pass would be to move the zook so he can't see the intersection. Quite honestly, you never should have left him unsupported in the first place.

I just thought of something. I answered someones question, but I am not a participant in that sophomoric inadequacy forum you guys call the Cesspool (I spend my time in other sophomoric inadequacy contests).

Does this mean I will get in trouble from some authority figure or something? What would constitute a Cesspool authority figure?

Jeff Heidman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

I just thought of something.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to hear it, Jeff. Thinking is good.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I answered someones question, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Once again, Kudos to you.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>but I am not a participant in that sophomoric inadequacy forum you guys call the Cesspool (I spend my time in other sophomoric inadequacy contests).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Jealous? Need a pool pass?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Does this mean I will get in trouble from some authority figure or something?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> No trouble Jeff. No trouble at all. Everything is A-Okay.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>What would constitute a Cesspool authority figure?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> We thrive on anarchy and laugh at authority figures. We tend to wave our hindquarters at those who try to "be in charge"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Jeff Heidman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have a Nice Day Jeff!!

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

[This message has been edited by Hiram Sedai (edited 12-28-2000).]