Frequently Asked Questions answered by cesspoolers from the Peng Thread(tm)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hiram_Sedai:

How do I effectively deploy my infantry?

The Y formation was suggested to me by dog-face boy but that has not worked that well.

When you attack, how do you move your infantry closer? Do the Axis have better long range and the Allied have better close range?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first point about formations....great for medieval and short range engagements, slightly passe' for modern weapons. When swords and bows were de rigour, formation was important to allow the most "steel on target" in the confines of hand to hand combat. A Lee Enfield .303 at 400 yards doesn't give a fig if your are square dancing, a Y chromosone or an X marks the spot. BANG! WHIZZZ! SMACK! Mein bein!

The individual squads represent up to 13 individuals, with a variety of weapons. The formations within that squad are abstracted. However, the relative positions of squads to each other can be established using the following two criteria...

1) Staying under command and control,

2) Ability of each squad to bring weapons to bear on a threat to any one of the squads in the formation. So if squad A begins to take fire from an enemy squad, ideally sqad B & C will be in a position to return fire as well as squad A. Not always possible, but an ideal.

Another point is....don't lead with your platoon HQ. The AI is a gamey bastard about targeting the HQ as a high priority, so keep 'em behind at least the front squad.

Any formation is fine, Y, V, whatever, so long as the squads are close enough to support each other, stay under commmand & control, and not get wiped out with one artillery burst.

As for moving closer....scout first to see what's out there. But in any event, move your boys from cover to cover...use the terrain to stay out of LOS as much as possible. If you *have* to move across the open, put smoke down first, and get the lads across as quick as possible. But weigh the cost of reducing their time in the open by running, against their combat effectiveness when tired. In addition, if you are moving in on known enemy positions, lay down suppression fire on those positions, using HMGs', artillery / mortar fire and SP guns if possible. And don't feed the lads into the final assault in dribs and drabs. Together they (might) stand, divided they get the crap shot out of them.

Ipso facto, viz a viz, post hocta proc, QED

SirMacOberGruppenBloodyStompinSicFeuhrerBastardABCD

[This message has been edited by OGSF (edited 01-13-2001).]

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa!!!!

Bottom of page 2...time for CPR

While I'm at it, anyone know which Schwere

Abteilungs were equipped with JagdTigers towards war end?

Mace

------------------

If their culture is to be judged by the general standard of education and the arts among the population, once again it must be said that Australia has little or none. Indeed, there is a terrifying crudity in the manners and pursuits of the masses

John Pringle, Australian Accent

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

[bWhile I'm at it, anyone know which Schwere

Abteilungs were equipped with JagdTigers towards war end?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My version of von Senger und Etterlin only shows the first 48, but over at www.achtungpanzer.com he's got...

"Production Period: Number Produced:

July - December 1944 49

January - April 1945 36

"The number of Jagdtigers produced was adequate to equip two units, schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 653 and schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 512. sPzJagAbt 512 was formed in the Summer of 1944 and was composed of two companies (1st company was commanded by Albert Ernst and became Kampfgruppe Ernst, 2nd company by Otto Carius) and was commanded by Major Scherf. Elements of sPzJagAbt 512 took part in the Operation "Fruhlingerswachen" in Hungary (part of VI SS Panzer Army), and then in the defence of the Fatherland on both Western and Eastern Front. sPzJagAbt 653 was formed in the Spring of 1945 and probably was not more than an understrenght company. It probably took part in Ardennes offensive and then was employed on the Western Front (Rhein and Karlsruhe area)."

Your friend and docent,

Mark IV

Working together for sub-continental literacy.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Extremely useful info on the JagdTigers usage snipped.....

Your friend and docent,

Mark IV

Working together for sub-continental literacy.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark IV,

Thanks for the info, mate!! biggrin.gif

One suggestion though, can you avoid words that require me having to go to the dictionary please.

Mace

------------------

If their culture is to be judged by the general standard of education and the arts among the population, once again it must be said that Australia has little or none. Indeed, there is a terrifying crudity in the manners and pursuits of the masses

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

While I'm at it, anyone know which Schwere

Abteilungs were equipped with JagdTigers towards war end?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jagdtiger-Abteilung 512 which saw action on the West front. Send me an e-mail, and I will send you the actount I have.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

Perhaps the entire CM community knows all there is to know about Combat Mission and the Frequently Asked Questions ANSWERED by Cesspoolers is not needed.

Which amounts to: I should be able to kick each and every one of your butts in PBEM.

Refute my conclusion if you dare.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yoo-hoo, Hiram. You best go peek over in the real cesspool...

------------------

Slayer of the Original Cesspool Thread.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

Which amounts to: I should be able to kick each and every one of your butts in PBEM.

Refute my conclusion if you dare.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do believe that I have refuted that conclusion several times already smile.gif

Nope. Not even close, Berli. You missed my point entirely. I give up.

nevermind

Is a bored Hiram a dangerous thing?

Inquiring minds (and I) want to know!

Mace

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

The "real cesspool" was locked up months ago.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I slew the original cesspool with my bare hands (and my web browser), but there has been a continuous cesspool presence ever since (as you well know), and you ought to get yourself back in it and duck your head into the murk before we send meeks after you.

------------------

Slayer of the Original Cesspool Thread.

Hiram, ye poor wee bairn, cam back aintae tha dank, wet, stankin' 'Pool laddie - wrap thas hankie aroond yer shiverin' shoulders and warrrm yersailf bah thas roarin' candle.

SirMacOberGruppenBloodyStompinSicFeuhrerBastardABCD

[This message has been edited by OGSF (edited 01-16-2001).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lutz:

Why can't the AI use assault boats?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am afraid I am unable to answer that, best dial Charles for that one. I guess the coding would have been very difficult to do and just not worth the time, seeing that there are few instances where you would want the AI to use assault boats (it is better on the defense anyway).

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lutz:

Hm, I've been waiting for over an hour now, and still no answer whatsoever.

Maybe I have to rephrase my question:

Why can't the AI use assault goats?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Goats aren't feline. The AI can use Panthers, Pumas, Tigers, Lynxes, and the occasional HellCat.

I would insert a smiley face if I were so inclined, but I'm not; so I won't.

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

when was zimmerment first used? and second anyone have a good site where there is alot of photos (colour would be nice but most likely not avaliable) of StuG's and StuH's? I am looking for a better reference to paint up my StuH/G and maybe even personalize it more, anyone??

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mensch:

when was zimmerment first used? and second anyone have a good site where there is alot of photos (colour would be nice but most likely not avaliable) of StuG's and StuH's? I am looking for a better reference to paint up my StuH/G and maybe even personalize it more, anyone??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This site has info and photos of zimmerite patterns for the StuG and other tanks: http://www.panzerdiesel.com/eng/e270.php

This site is spotty but it has color photos: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/2173/page2.htm

If you don't mind using models as a reference: http://www.track-link.net/gallery.php?sub=list&cat=Germany%20WW2&so=&cp=8

Here's a list of links that you can comb through: http://www.buffnet.net/~tonym/armref.htm

Forgive me if this was no help what-so-ever.

I need to find out where I can buy some quality zimmerite. I am a paranoid psychotic and I beleive the neighbours have placed magnetic mines in my driveway. Their kids hide behind the rose bushes with sticky bombs and I need to protect the Opel Kadett MK4 from their attacks. I fitted a neberwerfergezoonthite thingey but the smoke canisters shoot over 3 doors away....I have to go now, my hand is talking to me again...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

when was zimmerment first used? and second anyone have a good site where there is a lot of photos (colour would be nice but most likely not avaliable) of StuG's and StuH's? I am looking for a better reference to paint up my StuH/G and maybe even personalize it more, anyone??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Menschy, be careful with the zimmerit pattern! Stugs had what was normally called a "waffle" pattern zimmerit, so dont go putting on the sort of pattern that the Tigers or the Panzer IVs had.

As for sites...try these, as they should have some completed Stug Models on display:

Missing Lynx

Track link

Hyperscale

Mace

[This message has been edited by Mace (edited 01-16-2001).]