Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Big announcement... Battlefront is now Slitherine

6 minutes ago, Jeff Cronick said:

If you think about it, high fidelity war gaming is also a pretty small niche market in the overall gaming marketplace as well but none of us want to see that market and especially CM go away because it's not as popular as Fortnite or RPGs and such.

I know... damn, CM is the only game I play.

10 minutes ago, Thewood1 said:

Not many graphic designers play tactical wargames.  There are some, but not many.

WTF??

Do you imply that all Mac users are graphic designers? I'm not, and neither are any of the Mac users I personnally know! 🤣

Edited by PEB14
Trying to write in correct english language…

5 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

While I can't say this Forum will remain here forever (because that's a long time!), there are zero plans for closing it.

Yay. This forum software is so much nicer to use than Slitherine's. Honestly their forum sw is really not good and the way announcements are made over that it is super frustrating. 

What would be great would be if Slitherine transitioned to use this  forum sw for all their stuff.

Fingers crossed - but I'm not holding my breath :D 

3 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:
4 hours ago, Redwolf said:

Would hate for the Unity move coming with RTS mode only.

What I will say is that the core of what made CM2 special/unique isn't going away.  Made better is our goal :)

Yikes. I was not concerned about WEGO until reading this response that was mean to be reassuring. You are making me nervous Steve.

I haven't seen a response from BFCElvis or Battlefront.com in regards to my question about if/how we can purchase Mac OS versions of the current CM2 titles.  There are a couple that I hadn't purchased yet, since I didn't expect Battlefront to go away any time soon.

Will the activation codes that are received from purchasing on Slitherine or Steam work with the Mac OS installers that are still on the Battlefront site for the existing CM2 products?  Thanks.

Cheers,
Jeff

21 minutes ago, A Canadian Cat said:

it is the same code so yes. As long as you are using the same or newer versions of the products it will all just work.

Who is the real "Owner" of the games and modules, BFC, or Sithlerine, are the original game not from BFC, imself gave it only a " Copy" of theirs produces ?

saw this announced on Steam and I was like, 'what?!?' and rushed here to make sure it was correct. Steve is from my home state so I always looked at BF as a 'local' company, and I have been a tester for Matrix/Slitherine for years and years so I am also familiar with some of those folks. I see this as the best for all involved, especially the consumer. Anyone who has been around for a while knows the difference between what BF would like to produce in a year and what is actually completed. I am of the mind this move will make that scale favor the side of completed. 

Congrats you guys, it was a great run flying solo. Now for what's next!!!

25 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

Who is the real "Owner" of the games and modules, BFC, or Sithlerine, are the original game not from BFC, imself gave it only a " Copy" of theirs produces ?

I am not sure I follow what you are asking. Let me try to answer two possible things you might be asking.

From a business point of view:

BFC is now owned by Slitherine so all their stuff is too.

From a program binary point of view:

BFC had the source code and produced the executable code from that. Some how a version of each product was built and one stored at BFC, one given to Slitherine and one given to Steam. The same game code was used to create all three. They did have a different licensing library and a different install script but the code that read, ran and wrote files was the same therefore the scenario files and saves are the same.

* Now, it sounds like Slitherine will use their source code to product an executable for themselves and one for Steam. Pretty much just like now except there are only two licensing libraries and two install scripts. 

* Note: that is my impression so far from reading the public posts. While I am sometimes an insider, on this topic I know nothing more than anyone out here in the public forum land.

24 minutes ago, JM Stuff said:

This is a little what I am affraid, the future of the forum

!

Hey JM it'll be fine if they keep it going as has been said. 

Also with a new, sexy game version we may have lots more people on the forum.  Hopefully 😉.

If it isn't fine we can set up our own forum (or maybe just chat together, or get together at a tank museum somewhere 😂).

2 hours ago, sttp said:

That would be the end of cm for many players, and it's such a fundamental aspect of the game that it almost couldn't be called Combat Mission without WEGO. 

Just imagine... no TESTING, even... or at least it'd be much more difficult.

If wego goes away then I’ll just stick to current versions. There are already plenty of rts games that cover same topics as well as mods for them.

wego and the ability to replay what took place is what make Combat Mission Combat Mission. There are also plenty, perhaps most of us who play h2h using wego. 

I would have zero interest playing rts h2h especially since it would not be something you could do at your leisure when you want. 

I really can’t see Slitherine/Matrix taking away wego but I don’t know the ins and outs of the unity engine so just have to wait and see.

I sincerely congratulate Charles and Steve for this outcome. Acquisitions are tricky but life is change and growth.

All the best guys and looking forward to what comes next for this franchise (I guess we can say that CM is now a "franchise").

Heh.  Well, it of course doesn't take long before people come up with something all on their own and run with it.  I'll help out by redirecting a bit:

1. I'm being cagey ONLY because if I start answering specific questions with specific answers there will just be more questions and more expectations of me answering them.
  2. WeGo = major feature of CM1 and CM2.  I said CM3 is based on the core of what has come before it.  It takes some skill on your guys' part to turn that into "oh no!  WeGo is dead!".  But you've had 27 years to hone those skills, so I guess it's good to see them being put to use :)
  3. I already said that we'll make an official statement about what's happening with the Mac stuff when we're ready to stay what's happening to the Mac stuff.  By definition that's not today, which means by definition I'm not going to answer everybody's Mac questions.
  4. Mac users definitely amount to a very small percentage of our customer base.  If we had to put in dedicated effort to make a Mac version happen we'd be foolish to do so.  Fortunately, we're neither fools nor forced to make a dedicated effort.
  5. CM1 had no upgrade path to CM2 because the games are entirely different in every way.  It wasn't even remotely technically possible.  I will remind you that it took us something like 8 months to "upgrade" CMSF1 to CMSF2 and that was using the same basic engine.  CM3 is not CM2, so you do the math on that one :)
  6. Yes, it is true that Slitherine now has two satellite offices in the great State of Maine.  Sakai007 didn't mention that MikeyD is from The County and returned to our fair state after a long stint abroad (aka Boston).

Steve

I suppose this was inevitable in the long run.
It's been a long time since I first saw that screenshot of some half-tracks in CMBO and fell in love with an actual 3D war game. The only other game in town at the time was Sudden Strike, or Close Combat.
It's been one heck of a ride, and I'm glad I was here for it.

1 hour ago, Jeff Cronick said:

I haven't seen a response from BFCElvis or Battlefront.com in regards to my question about if/how we can purchase Mac OS versions of the current CM2 titles.  There are a couple that I hadn't purchased yet, since I didn't expect Battlefront to go away any time soon.

Will the activation codes that are received from purchasing on Slitherine or Steam work with the Mac OS installers that are still on the Battlefront site for the existing CM2 products?  Thanks.

Cheers,
Jeff

I won't embelish (much) on what Steve said, other than to add that Slitherine/Steam keys 100% DO NOT work with the Battlefront versions of the game. If you were thinking of doing that, don't even try. Unless you want a Windows version of the game. 

1 hour ago, A Canadian Cat said:

I am not sure I follow what you are asking. Let me try to answer two possible things you might be asking.

From a business point of view:

BFC is now owned by Slitherine so all their stuff is too.

From a program binary point of view:

BFC had the source code and produced the executable code from that. Some how a version of each product was built and one stored at BFC, one given to Slitherine and one given to Steam. The same game code was used to create all three. They did have a different licensing library and a different install script but the code that read, ran and wrote files was the same therefore the scenario files and saves are the same.

* Now, it sounds like Slitherine will use their source code to product an executable for themselves and one for Steam. Pretty much just like now except there are only two licensing libraries and two install scripts. 

* Note: that is my impression so far from reading the public posts. While I am sometimes an insider, on this topic I know nothing more than anyone out here in the public forum land.

Thank you I was just wondering why there have to be more version of the game.

Changing codes or working with differents codes will make big difference in the game  for the modders, will they have problems to manage files i mean a .bmp is a .bmp but the others files ?