Join the Shock Force 2 Tournament now!

On 4/14/2023 at 12:29 PM, BFCElvis said:

Yes, that is the glitch that Lethaface saw and Probus and GeorgeMC saw in the Cold War tournament. That will (should) self correct. Maybe tomorrow ...maybe when the next turns are played. We're looking into it but I'm not super concerned about it at this time. My #1 concern is that the in game end scores are what appear on the leaderboard when a battle is finished. My #2 concern is that, during most of the tournament, players have a loose sense about who has dealt out more causalities.

The glitch that you're seeing could be somefink that the game is pushing out or could be somefink that the Slitherine servers aren't processing correctly. There have been a couple sightings of it but in all cases it's fixed itself.

Yeah getting that same temp scoring glitch as we finished one game. Expecting it to fix itself when we finish the other game shortly.

Looks like I might be knocking @Lethaface off his scoring pedestal! 😃

By the way whats up with the leader board, that anodia player should be 3rd place with his 2830 pts. But he's at number 1?

score.thumb.jpg.cbe3633ae1828e5b476db38effd73af3.jpg

6 hours ago, MeatEtr said:

Yeah getting that same temp scoring glitch as we finished one game. Expecting it to fix itself when we finish the other game shortly.

Looks like I might be knocking @Lethaface off his scoring pedestal! 😃

By the way whats up with the leader board, that anodia player should be 3rd place with his 2830 pts. But he's at number 1?

Hehe who else could it be ? 😉 Good job if you manage, I think I had a major Victory as Syrians.

I noticed the issue with Anodia too, seems something weird with his profile if you click on it the page doesn't exist. He's on top of the list but his trophy is bronze colored.

This may be my ADD again, but … I just received a turn from my opponent (who is already down by at least a platoon of Americans in exchange for one vehicle on my side!).  I clicked on “Automated PBEM++ in progress”, selected the turn (we are apparently only playing one scenario at a time), entered my  tournament password at the prompt and clicked “okay”. The screen froze for a second, then appeared to “return” the turn to my opponent without my having even seen the map. I have tried restarting the program, even shutting down the computer and restarting it.  

On 5/1/2023 at 11:25 AM, MeatEtr said:

The color of the cups indicates the true classification (temporary):

- Lethaface: yellow = gold

- lawran (me): gray = silver 

- Anodia: orange = bronze

Edited by laurent 22

8 hours ago, MrSpkr said:

This may be my ADD again, but … I just received a turn from my opponent (who is already down by at least a platoon of Americans in exchange for one vehicle on my side!).  I clicked on “Automated PBEM++ in progress”, selected the turn (we are apparently only playing one scenario at a time), entered my  tournament password at the prompt and clicked “okay”. The screen froze for a second, then appeared to “return” the turn to my opponent without my having even seen the map. I have tried restarting the program, even shutting down the computer and restarting it.  

It sounds like they (finally) sent the initial turn of your second battle. PBEM games for CM, both PBEM++ and regular PBEM battles, the first file each player gets is to only ceare an ingame password. 

On 5/3/2023 at 7:22 AM, BFCElvis said:

It sounds like they (finally) sent the initial turn of your second battle. PBEM games for CM, both PBEM++ and regular PBEM battles, the first file each player gets is to only ceare an ingame password. 

I thought more about the odd turn in my previous post.  I know I did the US setup; would I still have gotten that sort of a "password only" email)?  I ask because I still have not gotten a single US turn from my opponent.

Edited by MrSpkr
Because I was an idiot who forgot how PBEM worked…

Any plans to adjust the participants in the tournament?

24 players with 0 points indicate at least 12 players that can't play or have no intention to participate in the tournament.

Is the next round shuffled around or do the same people who played against each other now continue to do so with the remaining two scenariois?

On 5/10/2023 at 11:03 AM, ratdeath said:

Any plans to adjust the participants in the tournament?

24 players with 0 points indicate at least 12 players that can't play or have no intention to participate in the tournament.

I'd be interested in learning how the organizers will be able to sort through that and get rid of the people who did not respond at all.  But it could be difficult determining who of the people with zero points were frustrated in not receiving turns from their ghost opponents, unless they had been active in this forum, or communicated directly with the organizers, about their situation.

On 5/10/2023 at 11:03 AM, ratdeath said:

Is the next round shuffled around or do the same people who played against each other now continue to do so with the remaining two scenariois?

I believe in the next round, you are matched up against an opponent with a similar score.  So I am guessing 1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4, etc.

On 5/3/2023 at 7:22 AM, BFCElvis said:

A question about scoring (and I apologize if it has been asked - I read through this thread and the CMCW tourney thread and didn’t quite see this question answered). I know that, if I send a setup as the US side and never get a turn back, I get 1,000 points as a consolation prize.  But what about situations in which both sides have set up, but the opposing player never sends a file after the set up phase? Technically, he returned one file, so I am guessing the 1,000 points is no longer on the table; does that mean each player just gets zero points for that battle?  Or does the game automatically figure up the point spread when the tournament time runs out (which sort of screws the attacker because the defender will, at the very least, get points for holding each of the three geographic objectives)?

Finished one battle as Syrians. I largely relied on a reverse slope defense, though the guys on the Syrian left made multiple cross-map shots to help out the other side of the battle.

Discovered the joys of calling artillery down on my own positions (partially, anyway) during the last four turns in order to prevent the flag rush I know he was preparing.  Won a tactical victory (poor placement of certain assets on my part kept my score down).

A very fun little battle.

1 hour ago, MrSpkr said:

A question about scoring (and I apologize if it has been asked - I read through this thread and the CMCW tourney thread and didn’t quite see this question answered). I know that, if I send a setup as the US side and never get a turn back, I get 1,000 points as a consolation prize.  But what about situations in which both sides have set up, but the opposing player never sends a file after the set up phase? Technically, he returned one file, so I am guessing the 1,000 points is no longer on the table; does that mean each player just gets zero points for that battle?  

I believe that once each player has sent a file for a battle that the 1,000 points is off the table. We'll find out soon enough. 

Or does the game automatically figure up the point spread when the tournament time runs out (which sort of screws the attacker because the defender will, at the very least, get points for holding each of the three geographic objectives)?

No, this won't happen. The only time the in game score is ever used if when a battle is completed and the final score is pushed to Slitherine. If a battle isn't completed then the running score is what will become the final score. At least that's what I have been told and saw when testing.........But we'll see on May 26th. 

On 5/17/2023 at 2:11 PM, MrSpkr said:

Discovered the joys of calling artillery down on my own positions (partially, anyway) during the last four turns in order to prevent the flag rush I know he was preparing.

As joyful as taking out one of your own Strykers with the 105 mm gun with your own Javelin?

15 hours ago, Andrew Kulin said:

As joyful as taking out one of your own Strykers with the 105 mm gun with your own Javelin?

Oh yeah I forgot to comment on that. Sorry but I had to laugh when that happened. To be clear the Javelin did hit the intended target but my guys in the pick up had driven right next to a Stryker (not my intended orders but hey **** happens). The detonation was large enough to take out both vehicles.

"Ooops" or "ha ha" depending on which side you are on.

2 hours ago, IanL said:

Oh yeah I forgot to comment on that. Sorry but I had to laugh when that happened. To be clear the Javelin did hit the intended target but my guys in the pick up had driven right next to a Stryker (not my intended orders but hey **** happens). The detonation was large enough to take out both vehicles.

"Ooops" or "ha ha" depending on which side you are on.

I got a little lucky with artillery.  At about ten minutes left, I dropped a 120mm shell right in the middle of three suspected infantry units (sound contacts) that had been forming up for an assault.  That caused him to delay his final assault on the Syrian right until about the five minute mark, when he advanced infantry and Strykers. I happened to have exactly ONE RPG guy on the lee side in good enough morale  to defend against multiple vehicle contacts.  He hit the first Stryker to emerge from the smoke one (though he did not destroy it) just about the time my adjusted artillery really started pounding the position.  At the two minute mark, the Americans tried to rush the objective 1 reverse slope, but a nicely placed rocket from a team on a rooftop knocked out his lead vehicle on the left, causing the others to fall back.  My adjusted artillery fire began firing for effect, dropping shells on his men (and my own - I'm pretty sure that's how the platoon commander died).  The artillery and the (very light) small arms fire from the remnants of the Syrian infantry on the reverse slope convinced his troops to drop in place just outside the objective as time expired.

The Syrian left (objective 2 reverse slope) was largely uneventful.  I was able to plink against his vehicles with some very accurate long range RPG shots, and had some fun with my tank ducking in and out of a hull down position to knock out his Strykers (until one of his Javelins nailed it.  He tried to rush the position in the last few minutes, but my infantry was in decent order and, backed by an unconventional truck, I was able to break his attack fairly easily.

One lesson learned - I need to pay much more attention to the impact of slight terrain elevation changes on LOS.  I had a pair of ATGM units that were largely useless due to undulations in the terrain.  Had I placed them better, my tanks might have lasted longer because I would not have needed to expose them to enemy fire as often.  I also learned that, despite their having a 5200m maximum range, SAM units need to be much closer to the area under attack to be effective.  Mine were on a roof in the town.  They had a great view of the Longbow tearing up my vehicles and strafing my men, but did not fire a single shot.  ☹️

I think the US had the tougher tactical problem than the Syrians.  The Syrians win or lose the game in the setup phase.  The US forces have to attack.  Had I played it, my plan for the US side was to move somewhat aggressively with my infantry units on the left while keeping the Strykers in hull down positions (as best as possible)to protect against incoming Syrian fire from reverse slope Objective 2, and play for time until teh Longbow arrived.  After that, I intended to try and inflict maximum casualties rather than seize objectives in the hopes of getting his men to surrender.  But, infantry attacking across open ground is risky.  It would have been interesting to play.

Edited by MrSpkr
Revise and extend my remarks.

Hi there , Cristi 21 opponent of @MrSpkr I am new into BT Tournaments, I have played mostly against AI ,was a nice experience and I have learned so much from our confrontation. According to Matrix Tournament Rules we should repeat the same battle but switching sides , I can't connect into PBEM ++ as Syria requires a password. I don't want to be disqualified as I am eager to participate into this tournament so if someone know how to proceed into my 2nd battle I am here for advise.

Thank you !

21 minutes ago, Cristi21 said:

Hi there , Cristi 21 opponent of @MrSpkr I am new into BT Tournaments, I have played mostly against AI ,was a nice experience and I have learned so much from our confrontation. According to Matrix Tournament Rules we should repeat the same battle but switching sides , I can't connect into PBEM ++ as Syria requires a password. I don't want to be disqualified as I am eager to participate into this tournament so if someone know how to proceed into my 2nd battle I am here for advise.

Thank you !

As long as you login to Matrix/PBEM+ successfully, then just click Ok at pw screen. Since passwords are blank. 

13 minutes ago, MeatEtr said:

As long as you login to Matrix/PBEM+ successfully, then just click Ok at pw screen. Since passwords are blank. 

Well I did that but It says wrong password. 1 st battle I have played as US and now I will be as Syria ...

2 hours ago, Cristi21 said:

Well I did that but It says wrong password. 1 st battle I have played as US and now I will be as Syria ...

The way tournament scenarios have to be set up, the Blue password is always filled in as blank before any player touches a file. But, when playing the Red side if the player enters somefink in the password field then it will have a password that isn't blank. In other words, before the file was sent to MrSpkr you entered a password. Try to think of what you may have entered. Otherwise, the battle is dead in the water and there isn't anything that can be done. This round ends in a couple of days anyway.......so there isn't much time to have played it.

Regardless of how that plays out, welcome to our forum! It has been hard for us when there are people we want to reach out to to see if there is a problem but they aren't on our forum (or they are but under a different name).

Which just gave me an idea...........Who here regularly posts on the Matrix forum? You have to have posted a certain number of times on their forum before you can send a PM. My account has all sorts of issues and has prevented me from posting there.....let alone sending PMs. But maybe someone here that posts there frequently can be a our "go to" person when we see players unresponsive.

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

The way tournament scenarios have to be set up, the Blue password is always filled in as blank before any player touches a file. But, when playing the Red side if the player enters somefink in the password field then it will have a password that isn't blank. In other words, before the file was sent to MrSpkr you entered a password. Try to think of what you may have entered. Otherwise, the battle is dead in the water and there isn't anything that can be done. This round ends in a couple of days anyway.......so there isn't much time to have played it.

Regardless of how that plays out, welcome to our forum! It has been hard for us when there are people we want to reach out to to see if there is a problem but they aren't on our forum (or they are but under a different name).

Which just gave me an idea...........Who here regularly posts on the Matrix forum? You have to have posted a certain number of times on their forum before you can send a PM. My account has all sorts of issues and has prevented me from posting there.....let alone sending PMs. But maybe someone here that posts there frequently can be a our "go to" person when we see players unresponsive.

Well i am 100 % positive that when this tournament started I have just started the round as US finished around 3 weeks later and now I have the 2nd game 1st round as Syria but never had the chance to enter any password. If I screwed up I am sorry , I will be more careful in the near future and thank you for the great experience of this tournament.

On 5/21/2023 at 1:17 PM, Cristi21 said:

Well i am 100 % positive that when this tournament started I have just started the round as US finished around 3 weeks later and now I have the 2nd game 1st round as Syria but never had the chance to enter any password. If I screwed up I am sorry , I will be more careful in the near future and thank you for the great experience of this tournament.

I accidentally entered my standard red password in the tournament and played it out successfully. If you have common passwords you typically use I recommend trying them out. If you ran on auto pilot and entered one you might be able to play. If you accidentally touched the key board I guess you are SOL.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:11 PM, MrSpkr said:

Finished one battle as Syrians. I largely relied on a reverse slope defense, though the guys on the Syrian left made multiple cross-map shots to help out the other side of the battle.

Discovered the joys of calling artillery down on my own positions (partially, anyway) during the last four turns in order to prevent the flag rush I know he was preparing.  Won a tactical victory (poor placement of certain assets on my part kept my score down).

A very fun little battle.

Good result. I also made use of the reverse slopes, crossfires by AFVs/heavy weapons and the airburst mortars switching between the approaches. These were particularly effective pinning and attriting the US infantry trying to crest the slopes.