Join the Shock Force 2 Tournament now!

I got one turn, Syrian side. It's no longer in my "in progress" list.

Could it be a problem that I have created an account for pbem only? (I also have my main Slitherine account, but it's not on the same email address so it shouldn't cause any problems I guess). I use less secure password for my PBEM games that I have memorized for CM PBEM++ :)

8 hours ago, ratdeath said:

I got one turn, Syrian side. It's no longer in my "in progress" list.

Could it be a problem that I have created an account for pbem only? (I also have my main Slitherine account, but it's not on the same email address so it shouldn't cause any problems I guess). I use less secure password for my PBEM games that I have memorized for CM PBEM++ :)

no password needed/better not to put one afaik. But it sounds like all is well, everyone starts with the RED/Syrian side which only asks for a password (which should be left blank ideally) to send the file.

7 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

no password needed/better not to put one afaik. But it sounds like all is well, everyone starts with the RED/Syrian side which only asks for a password (which should be left blank ideally) to send the file.

I left the password blank for the battle. I meant the password for logging in to PBEM++ :)

6 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

@BFCElvis Is there more information about the running score? Not to complain as I seem to be #1 atm ;-), but I wondered how much a tank/IFV/soldier weighs in if there is a difference.

The player who causes the most casualties in a turn gets 3 points. The other player gets 1 point. The subsequent turns will add to those scores with the same 3 or 1 points. At the end of the battle, those scores will be replaced by the in game final score. This is why, unlike the last Cold War tournament you want to complete the battle now because the end score will be higher than the running score.

The point of the running score is to give a loose sense of who is causing more casualties and does not reflect any of the in game victory conditions. Combat Mission was not built to push running scores for in game victory conditions. It would take re-writing a MASSIVE amount of code for it to do that. An amount of programming time that we would not spend. 

2 minutes ago, Andrew Kulin said:

What happens if your opponent decides to surrender or not finish the game?  Or never shows up?

Surrender will give you the in game CM score for someone surrendering.

Doesn't finish, the running score will be the final score.

Never shows up, I believe is the same as if you don't have an opponent, 1,000 points for each battle. I will double check that on Tuesday. They are gone for the day and because of the holiday won't be back until Tuesday. 

No opponent because there is an odd number of players, 1,000 points. This tournament has an even number of players, so this shouldn't come into play.

No rush on my end.  I scored a quality opponent so I have no worries about any of that happening to me in round 1. Too bad the system cannot award 1,000 points to someone whose opponent disappeared, or that one of you guys cannot go into the oppenent's game file at or just before end of tournament round and surrender.

19 minutes ago, weapon2010 said:

I've signed up for the tournament and im on the list with my selected partner, in options do i nedd to fill out the pbem++ login?.....................i'm a lil confused about all this

You're in. Go the the Saved Games area. Select the In Progress option from the dropdown menu. If you're not already logged in you will be prompted to log in. You'll see 1 or 2 files ready to be played. 2 if your opponent has already played their first turn.

3 minutes ago, weapon2010 said:

ok that worked , its the first turn asking for a PW, i just make one up or use my matrix PW..................................there is one file , why would there be more than that? are we playing both sides ?

Yes. You are playing both sides of the same battle.

The bit that prompts for your user name, password and email address is your Matrix login. The other one can be left blank.  PBEM++ is cheat proof. 

1 minute ago, weapon2010 said:

wow , in my challenges , i see 8 incoming files , is that 8 players randomly challenging me that have nothing to do with the tournament? 

im so lost but ill learn

Nope. The Challenges are people looking to play someone. If it has an * next to it then it needs a password set up by the person who created the Challenge.  That's for things like if I said "Yo, Weapon2010,  wanna play a game? I'll set it up with this password ". The Challenges without that are for people looking for a game and don't care who they play. 

Also, you don't have to check for your turns. You'll get an email notification when your opponent has sent their turns. 

ok so the normal game pw , the one Ive been using for years, can be left blank?

It can be. The funny thing is that I have left mine blank for a decade or more. I figured if some cheater tried to guess my password they may not guess no password. Also, no one needs to cheat to smoke me. I'm the easiest win that exists.  🙂

or maybe that's why your getting beat , they are looking at your forces...........................................so there is no point to add a PW if no one can get in anyway

Could be.....I may change that.

Correct, with PBEM++ they can't get the file.

21 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

The player who causes the most casualties in a turn gets 3 points. The other player gets 1 point. The subsequent turns will add to those scores with the same 3 or 1 points. At the end of the battle, those scores will be replaced by the in game final score. This is why, unlike the last Cold War tournament you want to complete the battle now because the end score will be higher than the running score.

The point of the running score is to give a loose sense of who is causing more casualties and does not reflect any of the in game victory conditions. Combat Mission was not built to push running scores for in game victory conditions. It would take re-writing a MASSIVE amount of code for it to do that. An amount of programming time that we would not spend. 

Thanks for the info! I think it's an improvement over the previous scoring system, might not be perfect for reasons you mention but let's see how it turns out :).

2 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Thanks for the info! I think it's an improvement over the previous scoring system, might not be perfect for reasons you mention but let's see how it turns out :).

The best would be if the game was capable of pushing out the score you would see in a ceasefire each turn. But CMx2 will never be able to do that. I think this may be the best workaround. Lord knows we talked about enough options while it was being coded.