Join the Shock Force 2 Tournament now!

My game against @meyertal (not sure if he is here) has been finished. It was a good game, his turn rate was great (there was always a turn ready in my limited PC time and they would keep coming as long as I was behind PC :)). GG!

He went for an aggressive approach as both the Syrians and the US forces, while I chose to defend from the reverse slope as the Syrians and prepared for an attack into my setup zone as the US. 

The aggressive approach didn't work too well for his Syrians, as my Javelins took out all of his AFVs in a couple of turns. After that I could use the Strykers firepower and mobility to fix and flank his remaining infantry. 
On my Syrian battle I had my 120mm mortars on a harassing mission on the other side of the slopes, adjusting targets now and then. They proved very deadly (20+ casualties), especially because I had some other units on overwatch forcing his troops to hug the slope and then take 120mm airburst :).

@BFCElvis the scoring issue indeed corrected itself in the end (after showing up a few times). One thing I noticed though, is that only my Syrian battle AAR is available. My US battle ended with my opponent surrendering with 5min left, after which I send the last turn/save. I had expected the AAR to come in after that?

Edited by Lethaface

1 hour ago, Lethaface said:

@BFCElvis the scoring issue indeed corrected itself in the end (after showing up a few times). One thing I noticed though, is that only my Syrian battle AAR is available. My US battle ended with my opponent surrendering with 5min left, after which I send the last turn/save. I had expected the AAR to come in after that?

Wow. You got a perfect score in one battle. Well done!

You should definitely have seen the end game AAR for both battles. All of the testing I did resulted in getting them both. I suppose that it's possible that he didn't complete the last turn that would have generated it for you. It's the surrender game that you didn't get, correct? I'll make sure to check that as well. Thanks.

19 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

My man over at Slitherine/Matrix is planning to reach out to the tournament "no shows" tomorrow. He has access that I don't have.

perhaps we can have some type of deterrent or punishment for "no shows" , now I know execution is a bit extreme , but maybe we can find a middle ground , like your banned from signing up for any tournament for 6 months

5 hours ago, Lethaface said:

I have only experienced PBEM++ with tournaments. The file always disappears after I send it, afaik that's how it's supposed to work? 
I had an issue once when other people got the login problem this week, probably there was some server issue when I send in my turn (although I didn't get an error message) as it was still there next time I logged in. But after that things went back to normal.

Yeah oddly enough regular PBEM++ seem to work differently than tournaments. For tournaments the turns disappear from my list once I play them. For a regular PBEM++ match they remain but the Fight button (or is it continue I don't remember) is greyed out.

2 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Wow. You got a perfect score in one battle. Well done!

You should definitely have seen the end game AAR for both battles. All of the testing I did resulted in getting them both. I suppose that it's possible that he didn't complete the last turn that would have generated it for you. It's the surrender game that you didn't get, correct? I'll make sure to check that as well. Thanks.

To be clear (maybe I wasn't): I did see the surrender screen with AAR but how I understood it is that it's supposed to keep that turn for a number of days? 
After I got the surrender screen there was still a last save/turn to send to my opponent, after which I think the score was updated - but no AAR/last turn saved. 

30 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

To be clear (maybe I wasn't): I did see the surrender screen with AAR but how I understood it is that it's supposed to keep that turn for a number of days? 
After I got the surrender screen there was still a last save/turn to send to my opponent, after which I think the score was updated - but no AAR/last turn saved. 

Not sure if this applies in this case, but my regular PBEM opponent and I had a couple of CMCW games where he asked for and initiated a ceasefire.  When I obliged, the games completely disappeared from his side (seems like they were erased) and neither of us got to see an AAR Screen.  I can still see the outgoing game files unplayable by me on my computer.  Thought it might be a bug and we tried to replicate by opening up two small games (one each in CMCW and CMSF2) that we immediately cease fired, but those two worked out (AARs were sent).  With the two games that remain in limbo, the cease fires were separated by a couple of week in real time, so we had figured it wasn't some sort of short-term server glitch or whatever it is that causes some of the funny turn management stuff we see on occasion. 

Hello Gentlemen. Playing with a human Combat Mission in this tournament for the first time, what a joy. Request for Battlefront, please keep tournaments coming, Battle for Normandy, Black Sea should be next. A little bit worried about fact that about 60% of the tournament members stood at zero points (= no turns at all?), we need some kind of system to punish people not playing.

33 minutes ago, Paladin333 said:

Hello Gentlemen. Playing with a human Combat Mission in this tournament for the first time, what a joy. Request for Battlefront, please keep tournaments coming, Battle for Normandy, Black Sea should be next. A little bit worried about fact that about 60% of the tournament members stood at zero points (= no turns at all?), we need some kind of system to punish people not playing.

That's the plan. The next will be Normandy. Before we start it we want a good idea how the new scoring system is working.

1 hour ago, Paladin333 said:

Not to match with the people actually playing the game. Time is an investment. Each user which was inactive shall get minus score and matched with the same minus score users only.

Half of them are probably waiting for their opponent to wake up. Myself included. 

I think if there was a way to get your opponent's e-mail that would be a good first step.  I had a ghost player in the first beta tournament (CMCW) and it was frustrating.  Could not contact them in any way to find out what was going on.  Even tried looking up their names on the Battlefront, Matrix, Slitherine forums but no luck.  Mainly, if I recall correctly, there were no ways to look up a forum member by name on any of the forums in order to check out their profiles and DM or email them.

4 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

That's the plan. The next will be Normandy. Before we start it we want a good idea how the new scoring system is working.

The scoring system sure behaves oddly.  Like for my two games so far:

Game 1:

• turn 1 - no shots fired - me up 3 -1 (??)
  • turn 2 - I take out Striker, nothing for him - 3 - 1 for me (makes sense)
  • turn 3 - I take out a second Striker, he wounds one soldier - 3 -1 for him (??)

Game 2:  3 turns, no shots fired other than some arrant spotting rounds hitting empty desert - Game shows 0 - 0 after 3 turns.  So that could make sense if tournament gives out interim 0 - 0 scores for ties

Then I look at Lethaface scores. 

He finishes up one game.  Shows 700 - 0 in Game2, with Game 1 )ongoing) something like 42- 26.

Next day scores in his games are like 642 - 587 (Game 2) and 587 - 642 (Game 1) for an overall tie (I do not recall the exact scores but I do recall they were opposites and added up equally)

Next day his Game 2 score is 2000 - 69 and Game 1 is 1228 - 476

Tournament scoring is certainly a mystery.  I bet it is driving BFC Elvis nuts.

1 hour ago, Andrew Kulin said:

Game 1:

• turn 3 - I take out a second Striker, he wounds one soldier - 3 -1 for him (??)

Game 2:  3 turns, no shots fired other than some arrant spotting rounds hitting empty desert - Game shows 0 - 0 after 3 turns.  So that could make sense if tournament gives out interim 0 - 0 scores for ties

@IanL as the person who is seeing the battles from the other side......Is this how it has played out with what you see on your end? Or are you seeing casualties that maybe Andrew isn't?

Driving me nuts? It's a short drive to drive me nuts.

15 hours ago, Andrew Kulin said:

I think if there was a way to get your opponent's e-mail that would be a good first step.  I had a ghost player in the first beta tournament (CMCW) and it was frustrating.  Could not contact them in any way to find out what was going on.  Even tried looking up their names on the Battlefront, Matrix, Slitherine forums but no luck.  Mainly, if I recall correctly, there were no ways to look up a forum member by name on any of the forums in order to check out their profiles and DM or email them.

On BFC forum at least you can search for members, IIRC also slitherine but not sure. 

I agree that a way of contact with opponents would be a good thing. On discord I read someone had issues with their slitherine account / PBEM++. 

15 hours ago, Andrew Kulin said:

Game 1:

Then I look at Lethaface scores. 

He finishes up one game.  Shows 700 - 0 in Game2, with Game 1 )ongoing) something like 42- 26.

Next day scores in his games are like 642 - 587 (Game 2) and 587 - 642 (Game 1) for an overall tie (I do not recall the exact scores but I do recall they were opposites and added up equally)

Next day his Game 2 score is 2000 - 69 and Game 1 is 1228 - 476

In my game the running score (1-3) seemed to work fine from my pov, I don't think there was any turn without casualties. The 700-0 was actually a temporary glitch, the battles weren't finished yet. The 2000-69 / 1228-476 are the final scores from the CMSF endscreen (not running score) and are correct.

18 hours ago, BFCElvis said:
19 hours ago, Andrew Kulin said:

Game 1:

@IanL as the person who is seeing the battles from the other side......Is this how it has played out with what you see on your end? Or are you seeing casualties that maybe Andrew isn't?

Pretty much. I was not paying strict attention to which turn was which score but on turn 3 that I caused a couple of soldier casualties he set a striker on fire I cannot imagine how that gave me points but I am not really sure if we can tell when the turn we watched maps to the score. There was a turn where I had a guy get wounded and no other shots were fired. I honestly don't know if that was turn 1 but it was early and so it could have been.

3 minutes ago, IanL said:

I honestly don't know if that was turn 1 but it was early and so it could have been.

That makes sense. Does the score go out as soon as both people watched the movie? Or after 1 person has watched the movie? Or the turn after both people have watched it? I don't know. The thing that I can the absolute most about is that the end game AAR screen scores match what the leaderboard has once a battle is completed. The rest is only a loose idea of who is causing more casualties than the other. And that rarely is a reflection on who wins a battle, once other victory conditions are added at the end.

20 minutes ago, IanL said:

Pretty much. I was not paying strict attention to which turn was which score but on turn 3 that I caused a couple of soldier casualties he set a striker on fire I cannot imagine how that gave me points but I am not really sure if we can tell when the turn we watched maps to the score. There was a turn where I had a guy get wounded and no other shots were fired. I honestly don't know if that was turn 1 but it was early and so it could have been.

We are now currently both tied for 4th place after 4 minutes of game play in each battle.  Ian's Syrians just put a world of hurt to my US forces in the last turn.  Attached is our current scoring.  Very odd to say the least.4minutesin-2023-04-1412PM.JPG.2fca0706cff75f7e0949952c9979c202.JPG

15 minutes ago, Andrew Kulin said:

We are now currently both tied for 4th place after 4 minutes of game play in each battle.  Ian's Syrians just put a world of hurt to my US forces in the last turn.  Attached is our current scoring.  Very odd to say the least.4minutesin-2023-04-1412PM.JPG.2fca0706cff75f7e0949952c9979c202.JPG

That's the same glitch I had with the 'running score'. But don't worry it will correct itself and when you finish your games it will be the final score.
Now just get on with suppressive fires and take those objectives! 😉 

Edited by Lethaface

10 minutes ago, Andrew Kulin said:

Yes, that is the glitch that Lethaface saw and Probus and GeorgeMC saw in the Cold War tournament. That will (should) self correct. Maybe tomorrow ...maybe when the next turns are played. We're looking into it but I'm not super concerned about it at this time. My #1 concern is that the in game end scores are what appear on the leaderboard when a battle is finished. My #2 concern is that, during most of the tournament, players have a loose sense about who has dealt out more causalities.

The glitch that you're seeing could be somefink that the game is pushing out or could be somefink that the Slitherine servers aren't processing correctly. There have been a couple sightings of it but in all cases it's fixed itself.

On 4/12/2023 at 4:24 PM, weapon2010 said:

perhaps we can have some type of deterrent or punishment for "no shows" , now I know execution is a bit extreme , but maybe we can find a middle ground , like your banned from signing up for any tournament for 6 months

$1000 in escrow, you get it back with the last turn :D

• 2 weeks later...