Join the Shock Force 2 Tournament now!

I assume round one is over and you all have moved on. How did you like or not like the Scenario I provided for round one. I always like feed back as to what I work on.

This scenario was one I had done for another event, So I  modified it to make it somewhat new and also to make it work better for the Tournament requirements that they needed.

On 6/6/2023 at 12:12 PM, slysniper said:

How did you like or not like the Scenario I provided for round one. I always like feed back as to what I work on.

I enjoyed it.  Working with small units is so much more challenging because you have no margin for error.  Losing a vehicle transporting a squad could mean losing ten percent of your combat force in a single blow!

I do tend to think that, when all is said and done, the Syrians have a decided edge here.  There are chunks of the US setup area that can be under Syrian observation from Turn One.  A clever Syrian commander who knows this can position rockets and tanks to strike a critical blow against the Americans within the first minute or two of the game.  I think that should be masked a little better.

a good point, it has been awhile since I have been in the scenario. I recall setup being pretty safe  with a expectation that the Americans were going to be on the move from the get go, but you are correct that they can move right into firing area on that first turn. And there might be a portion in the set up area that could be spotted also.

Edited by slysniper

On 6/6/2023 at 1:12 PM, slysniper said:

I assume round one is over and you all have moved on. How did you like or not like the Scenario I provided for round one. I always like feed back as to what I work on.

This scenario was one I had done for another event, So I  modified it to make it somewhat new and also to make it work better for the Tournament requirements that they needed.

I enjoyed it with the changes you made to it. Also liked the other version from your excellent Field Warriors blind tourney awhile back. It’s over at the few good men site for anybody else interested, Good times!

Roger that. My old *** got mugged by a pack of mangy uncons. I’m sure you are seeing what I am trying to do with my Americans ?  Not sure that worked.

I am really quite bad at commanding uncons. They have no skills, no marksmanship, low ammo and really nothing but big brass balls.  Yours OTOH, did quite well in CQB so I just learned a nuanced lesson with them. 

I still predict a lot of death before this is over.  It is my sincere desire to now kill everyone in this town.

1 hour ago, ALBY said:

Roger that. My old *** got mugged by a pack of mangy uncons. I’m sure you are seeing what I am trying to do with my Americans ?  Not sure that worked.

I am really quite bad at commanding uncons. They have no skills, no marksmanship, low ammo and really nothing but big brass balls.  Yours OTOH, did quite well in CQB so I just learned a nuanced lesson with them. 

I still predict a lot of death before this is over.  It is my sincere desire to now kill everyone in this town.

I was pretty happy that I had a uncon plan that worked. I got enough men able to provide covering fire while I moved in close and took out a couple of your teams. It felt nice getting in close and not taking any returning fire while I wiped them out. 

Your moves as Blue are a mystery to me because I can barely see anyone. I know you took out one of my teams but other than that I don't have a hard spot on anyone.

1 hour ago, ALBY said:

I also see that the leaderboard correctly moved our running score. You took out 1 man in each of the battles on my most recent exchange and I see that you got 6 points and I got 2.

On 6/10/2023 at 11:17 PM, slysniper said:

a good point, it has been awhile since I have been in the scenario. I recall setup being pretty safe  with a expectation that the Americans were going to be on the move from the get go, but you are correct that they can move right into firing area on that first turn. And there might be a portion in the set up area that could be spotted also.

I think it was the best scenario adapted for mirrored tournament so far :). Both scoring wise, no reinforcment inside LOS wise and both sides having several options as how to deal with the challenge wise. 

4 hours ago, ratdeath said:

Is it ok to surrender a battle or does that mess up the scoring?

You're better off trying to get a ceasefire, just from a score point of view. But a surrender will generate a proper CM score that will replace the running score. 

Your opponent does have a Battlefront forum account and was online as recently as 4 hours ago. @Fizou

Good news:  in Game 1 of Round 2, my unconventional forces apparently waxed a good number of my opponent's Amis. The plan I had seems to be working, and I saw a number of my opponent's pixeltruppen go down at the cost of a few overly enthusiastic guys I expected to lose anyway.

Bad news: I haven't received a turn back from my opponent in a week, and I have not even received the setup file from the other game in this Round.  I also have no way to reach my opponent - he is not active here or on Matrix's forum.  One tweak I would suggest is that the system either automatically share each player's email with his opponent, or, at the very least, make the "share email with opponent" option in-game to default to sharing the email, rather than withholding it.

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

You're better off trying to get a ceasefire, just from a score point of view. But a surrender will generate a proper CM score that will replace the running score. 

Your opponent does have a Battlefront forum account and was online as recently as 4 hours ago. @Fizou

Yes, we have a good pace and contact via direct message :)

I got the impression a cease fire was problematic earlier so best to ask before I mess something up, also no problem for me to do turns until the time runs out.

I don't think this is the best scenario adapted for mirrored tournament so far. If you do the setup first with the Americans, you have essential information: the arrival time of the US reinforcements. Also when you setup the Syrians after you can focus all your forces on the trapped Americans from the start. If you do the Syrian setup first, and therefore you don't have the information on the arrival time of the Americans, you will probably be more careful, and I'm not saying that because I lost all my Americans from the first 2 rounds while my opponent only half ... Même pas mal/not even badly 😭

5 minutes ago, ratdeath said:

@Fizou I initiated the surrender as it will give a proper CM score, isn't that the final score the battles are supposed to have @BFCElvis?

And I had nothing left, just one unused bomb :)

Hope I didn't mess anything up for Fizou

No worries if thats the case @ratdeath. But is this something that is being looked into @BFCElvis? As I understand it a regular battle with pbem++ cant be ended with ceasefire if you want to see the end result? 

I still prefer to run the old fashioned way with pbem helper or some other software because of this. 

I also wonder what happens in the tournament if the opponent doesn't reply at all. In my first game I didn't get a single turn. 

2 minutes ago, Fizou said:

No worries if thats the case @ratdeath. But is this something that is being looked into @BFCElvis? As I understand it a regular battle with pbem++ cant be ended with ceasefire if you want to see the end result? 

The scoring should be straightened out with what we are currently using. Regardless of how a battle ends, time runs out, surrender, ceasefire, the final end of game score should be reflected on the leaderboard. It looks like that is the case with @ratdeath's surrender.

One of your battles shows that you received 2,000 points and he received 518. That would make sense in a surrender. You got the maximum amount of points for the battle (2,000) and he got what he got based on in game casualties caused. 

You should be able to see the end results though, through the game. No matter how the battle ends. 

I also wonder what happens in the tournament if the opponent doesn't reply at all. In my first game I didn't get a single turn. 

I had the same thing in the first round. What happens is that you receive points and the other player is booted from the tournament.

On 6/14/2023 at 12:55 PM, MrSpkr said:

Good news:  in Game 1 of Round 2, my unconventional forces apparently waxed a good number of my opponent's Amis. The plan I had seems to be working, and I saw a number of my opponent's pixeltruppen go down at the cost of a few overly enthusiastic guys I expected to lose anyway.

Bad news: I haven't received a turn back from my opponent in a week, and I have not even received the setup file from the other game in this Round.  I also have no way to reach my opponent - he is not active here or on Matrix's forum.  One tweak I would suggest is that the system either automatically share each player's email with his opponent, or, at the very least, make the "share email with opponent" option in-game to default to sharing the email, rather than withholding it.

I was on vacation until this past Monday, able to post initial turns (basically set password) beforehand and started returning turns on Monday.  As Syrian side, I was able to eliminate my opponent's US small force in about 4 minutes of game time by Wednesday.  As Americans, my side is holding up pretty good after 4 minutes.  But I have not received turns back since Wednesday and because there is no way to contact my opponent (as no e-mails provided) i have no way of knowing if they have bailed out, or if they are experiencing a real life situation (e.g., work, vacation, ...). I certainly could not let my opponent know that I was away at the start of this.

I feel the communication aspect of the Tournament system is a weak point and should be addressed.  Even if it has to be done in a manner that anyone wishing to join the tournament has to provide BFC with an e-mail so that there is a way for opponents to communicate.

1 hour ago, Andrew Kulin said:

I feel the communication aspect of the Tournament system is a weak point and should be addressed.  Even if it has to be done in a manner that anyone wishing to join the tournament has to provide BFC with an e-mail so that there is a way for opponents to communicate.

This was discussed at great length. And no. Email addresses will not be sent to people for tournaments.

However, your opponent does appear to have a Battlefront forum account and has been online in the past 7 hours. You can always send them a PM. @alwaysfish

We ended one of our games with a surrender and it worked as intended as far as I can tell. The other game was just ended via ceasfire and I got an error message when I ended the last "movie", I was then back on the order phase and saved after that as usual. When I look at games in progress the game is no longer there, so I never saw the end game screen. Too bad, I hope this can be fixed.

If you play longer battles that more often than not end with a ceasefire, and invest weeks if not months, you really want to see that end screen and tour the battlefield.  

On 6/17/2023 at 10:12 AM, BFCElvis said:

This was discussed at great length. And no. Email addresses will not be sent to people for tournaments.

Is there any possibility of a way to have the game automatically send a reminder to an opponent after X number of days, or to PM them through the game itself?  Or even to automatically send the final "victory screen" automatically when time for tournament play has expired? 

Just trying to think outside the box for a way to address the problem of a non-responsive player to either remind them to send a turn (or at least get that sweet AAR screen so you can see how your pixeltruppen fare).

Edited by MrSpkr

5 hours ago, Fizou said:

We ended one of our games with a surrender and it worked as intended as far as I can tell. The other game was just ended via ceasfire and I got an error message when I ended the last "movie", I was then back on the order phase and saved after that as usual. When I look at games in progress the game is no longer there, so I never saw the end game screen. Too bad, I hope this can be fixed.

If you play longer battles that more often than not end with a ceasefire, and invest weeks if not months, you really want to see that end screen and tour the battlefield.  

Disregard this. After this I got a new turn, the game was back in the "pbem++ in progress". After the turn i got the end screen. Great!