Combat Mission Cold War - British Army On the Rhine

The_Capt

33 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

Since the original plan for BAOR release was 2023, I guess that means somewhen this year (2024).

I don't see any mention of a planned release in 2023 in the original post. We definitely assumed 2023, since it was announced at the beginning of 2023. But I don't think they really "plan" to release in specific years. I think the plan is always to release when it's done, whenever that might be. But they do make guesses about when they expect to be finished. Those guesses usually seem to turn out to be wrong, but the final product always ends up being worth the wait.

To the other half of your comment, I'd guess that you're right that it will probably be finished in 2024. Though probably not early in 2024.

18 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

I don't see any mention of a planned release in 2023 in the original post.

2nd last sentence.

"As noted by Steve, we are well on our way and are planning for a release this year - content and full scope remains TBA."

On 2/13/2024 at 12:50 AM, JM Stuff said:

Well than will be soon probably added for the next CMCW module, let us hope, thank you to the infos.

Hey, sorry for the slow reply. I haven't been as active on the forum lately. I actually got stuck on the project, my skills with Photoshop and the mod tools took me so far, and then I ran into a technical hurdle that I never overcame. I was only ever able to cobble together something on CMBN and couldn't figure out how to get it across to CMCW. As mentioned the weapon functionality wouldn't behave true to life so I sort of gave up.

I've seen your stuff on JM's corner though, I could PM you or open it to the mod community and see if anyone can take it further with the stuff I just can't figure out on Blender.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, AtlasActual said:

When it's done 🙃

Sorry but this silly answer piss me off when I read it, this probably saying in a funny way or a strong answer but this bring me to jump, the day that some people's want to have an answer about something we will be also happy to recieve a correct answer.

...me also sometimes I want to have more unfos about things and is always welcome ! 

@Unremarkable Sunray was making a wonderfull mod thank you again boy, he gave me kindly a copy, from his Britishs and West German soldiers I recommand him to put on the CMMODs, available for everybody's, time to have the correct new module from BFC, that we are waiting.

Edited by JM Stuff

32 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

It's the best answer that's available. The people who are working on it genuinely don't know when it will be done either. But they're working on it.

Also, while we all want to know how long we have to wait, I'll take "when it's done" over a fixed release date at which the product has to ship at all costs every time if it ensures the product is properly finalized.

4 minutes ago, Butschi said:

Also, while we all want to know how long we have to wait, I'll take "when it's done" over a fixed release date at which the product has to ship at all costs every time if it ensures the product is properly finalized.

100% or the endless bitch session that would result here if the decision was made to delay and issue a new date was made. 

There are really only three choices with regard to this: 

1. Pick a date and ship whatever you've got - obvious downside is bugs and issues with content
  2. Pick a date and delay to a new date if things are not as you want them - obvious downside here is complaints and erosion of "trust"
  3. Don't pick a date (or I should say don't say one publicly because all projects have dates) and just repeat the mantra "it will be done when it is ready" - is there a downside here - I don't know one. Marketing people will say they cannot build the sales collateral - BS just have it ready and book the interviews and reviews in the final weeks or after release but what do I know? I only have 30 years of software development experience and no marketing experience - other than watching them do it and not make sweet **** all of a difference if the campaign starts before release or after. Customers say they cannot plan or rely on you - BS: buy the products that are available that fits your needs. If non are available you have to wait. Wouldn't you rather have a working product in some future time than crap now? If you say you want working product now that's just stupid because that doesn't exist does it? Hence this question.

You can end up in a combo of 1 and 2 that either turns into a death spiral: the product is not ready so we will delay it but that means you need to add feature X because the competition has changed which leads to more delays and feature Y needs to be added etc.; or you delay one or two times but piss off everyone and eventually you are forced to end up releasing early even though you tired to do the right thing and fix your problems.

I have worked in through all of these scenarios. The choices that BFC make are absolutely the best framework for managing projects I have lived with. I have worked for other places that get it right too BFC are not unique but doing this right is not the norm - sadly.

For an example of the "other way of doing things" look at "Star Citizen".  Raised $104 million in 2023, total of $644 million in crowdfunding, and still it isn't complete... and has changed its focus away from what early adopters wanted.  "The launch of the game was originally anticipated for 2014, but has been repeatedly delayed."

15 minutes ago, Artkin said:

The only problem people have is a lack of communication. That's it. Other developers share their progress, we're lucky if we get more than one update. 

Just give you right

Ok for the people who work on the mentioned project, it can become annoying to always repeat the same thing, but not for the people who are not concerned and who blurt out sentences at random just to say something, without taking the time to inform themselves of the release of the project.
No one is God as far as I know, knows everything about everything in all areas, and a question is always unanswered, it is always more pleasant to receive concrete and kinder information, this answer has the same meaning for me that "we know nothing about it at the moment" but in a sarcastic tone, to tell us this don t say nothing, appropriate would be

"have worked there or they work there", there are more polite ways to use,

Here, I have the impression that everyone works for BFC and that everyone knows everything but doesn't want to say anything, or in their own way, yes the lack of information is crucial, here and is lacking, so to a correct question an answer correct will be welcome.

I dare to hope that you yourself will one day be in this undecided situation and that you will ask yourself what stage a project is at, just to inform yourself, just to know and perhaps have the information you are looking for, like everyone does. .
I will be there to read again, when the sentence comes out just again to remind, politesse go out or don t exist more on a forum, with the time, and this is really sad. 

20 hours ago, Artkin said:

The only problem people have is a lack of communication. That's it.

I just don't by that. 

20 hours ago, Artkin said:

Other developers share their progress

Like what? Weekly statements "we have 8 scenarios started for the new module and 5 new models" and later "we still have 8 scenarios started and no no models". Or monthly the same. And again and again. I think it would start a whole new area of complaint "why aren't they working on <insert favourite project> nothing is changing what are they doing. They are just wasting time. 

LOL

19 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

I dare to hope that you yourself will one day be in this undecided situation and that you will ask yourself what stage a project is at, just to inform yourself, just to know and perhaps have the information you are looking for, like everyone does.

LOL every damn day man. I have several photo and video editing tools I use and have zero visibility into what they are actually working on until they release something new. I hit the odd bug. Some are annoying some bloody inconvenient. I never have any clue if or when they are going to be fixed. Hell only some of the time can I tell they have been confirmed.

I follow this advice - sound familiar?

21 hours ago, A Canadian Cat - was IanL said:

buy the products that are available that fits your needs. If non are available you have to wait.

Exactly and I do and I use them to edit my photos and videos and get work done as best I can.

21 hours ago, A Canadian Cat - was IanL said:

Wouldn't you rather have a working product in some future time than crap now?

Hell yes I would rather have working product when it's ready.

It's done when it's done, and no needless speculation.

Get into DCS and you'll see what a toxic PR nightmare you can end up in when you develop niche games like this and start making bad predictions about release dates. ED and their community looks damn near like an abusive relationship: large shares of the active community buys nearly everything right away, yet still readily admits that they'd be over the moon if a serious competitor turned up because they're ready to take their business entirely elsewhere if only an alternative existed.

Edited by Anthony P.

Hold your horse guys,

I salute and respects yours Knowledge and infos I'm not here to fight with any of you I have my point of view about answer and kind of words on the forum, but I maintain sometimes the lack of infos that we don't have when we are searching for, about a certains project or development or announces, 

Personly I never have a lack of respect for anybody and I try always to have a clear mind with polite form to express what I am talking about.
and let it know, I think this is allowed to talking about isn't ?

But here I don't want that this thread will be closed to a sentence that I said in a short moment, and hope will not be the case, this is why I stop the discussion.

Edited by JM Stuff

22 hours ago, Artkin said:

The only problem people have is a lack of communication.

How is this really a problem, though? I mean, it's not like we paid money up front or something. Sure, we don't get our curiosity satisfied but that is all the hurt that is done, right?

22 hours ago, Artkin said:

Other developers share their progress, we're lucky if we get more than one update. 

Some do, some don't. Communication costs money, either because the devloper can't spend the time used for communication on finishing the product or because a dedicated communications guy is hired. You invest the money if you think it pays off. You keep potential customers up to date to get the hype train started, to get feedback early on or to find investors, for instance. But this is a double-edged sword. The hype train, once going, is hard to stop or to steer in another direction and customers, especially in gaming, get hyped about what they want to hear not what was actually said. Feedback is rarely representative because it is usually a loud minority that demands X and claims to speak for the whole community. And then there is always the danger that people form a negative opinion based on a product they've never actually seen and won't buy it later when it is released.

I just develop a stupid little tool in my free time and I am very cautious about when and what to tell you guys. 😉

I think you all need to remember that BFC is on a US Department of Defense financial retainer. As such, they probably need to respond to whatever war narrative the Deep State wants to promote, which probably changes from one week to the next.

I write this with tongue only half in cheek. 🫢

7 minutes ago, Rob2020 said:

I think you all need to remember that BFC is on a US Department of Defense financial retainer. As such, they probably need to respond to whatever war narrative the Deep State wants to promote, which probably changes from one week to the next.

I write this with tongue only half in cheek. 🫢

Actually I believe the main CM Pro customer is the UK MoD, not the US DoD.