Combat Mission Cold War - British Army On the Rhine

The_Capt

I see the rabble are getting roused.  We all appreciate the enthusiasm, we really do. As to updates, well I can echo what Steve has already said - we are aiming to have this DLC out this year.  As to progress, well data and research are largely complete (few things left but not biggies).  Maps for the major campaigns are built (I showed off a few and one was used in that CM tourney).  Campaigns are essentially designed and waiting for the kit.  Equipment lists are done, we will likely be haggling these to the finish line.

So over all scope, scale and background are all defined.  What we are waiting for now is the second longest pole in any content creation tent - artwork/modelling.  This is where stuff gets drawn and actually put into the game.  Once we get enough of that we start rolling on really putting it all together, which in the case of BAOR should be pretty quick, but we still need to do testing and polishing.  We still have a features debate - what is in or out features-wise but that will be sorted quickly.

So the short answer is “sometime this year” and we are fairly far along.  Now it is a matter of getting very few critical people’s time to deliver their end and we can then pull it al together.  No Star Citizen, conspiracy or subterfuge, only limited resources available and waiting in line.

3 hours ago, Raging Al said:

Thanks for the update.  Really looking forward to this.  Is Swingfire in for the Brits?  And was it any good?

Swingfire is on the list.  Now whether we can get it developed for in-game is another question.   The good news is that its firing profile is not that different from a Javelin...but resources and time etc.

Do you plan to allow the Swingfire launcher to be separate from the control unit so we can leave it hidden behind cover? That sounds like a very different game mechanic and is tough to implement. If we get it, it will make a huge difference in survivability. 

1 hour ago, LuckyDog said:

Do you plan to allow the Swingfire launcher to be separate from the control unit so we can leave it hidden behind cover? That sounds like a very different game mechanic and is tough to implement. If we get it, it will make a huge difference in survivability. 

Honestly don’t know guys.  We have the system on the equipment list but BFC is not going to spend months of work on a single ATGM.  My bet is that we can get it vehicle mounted but the static control unit thing might be a feature too far.  But we will have to see.

Just off the top of my head, the Marder and the BMP-1 and -2 also had the ability to dismount their ATGM launchers to use them on foot, as well as the ability of at least some Soviet ATGMs to set their launchers up away from the control units. None of those things are modelled, so I would be (pleasantly) surprised if the Swingfire becomes more advanced than any other mounted ATGM already present in the series.

7 hours ago, Lieutenant Ash said:

If we get the ability to shoot atgm's around corners (swingfire) I'll be pleasantly suprised. 

Did you mean unpleasantly? 😆

Apparently they came up with a hack to get dismountable TOWs into CMSF2 (which I haven't seen for myself yet, since I just haven't found time to play CMSF2 yet), even though CM2 doesn't really have any way to account for dismountable weapons. Basically it just involved giving the vehicle crew its own TOW launcher and making the graphic for the vehicle TOW disappear when the vehicle was dismounted. Perhaps something like that can be done for Swingfire if being able to dismount it was such an important part of how it was used? I don't know how they could possibly hack together a way to have the control unit work at any significant distance from the launcher in CM2. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

10 hours ago, Halmbarte said:

Can't be worse than Dragon...

H

I'm convinced that in CMCW I've seen more AFVs die to Dragons than to US tanks (especially the non-TTH variants), so you wouldn't be in such a bad spot there. 😉

4 minutes ago, Butschi said:

I'm convinced that in CMCW I've seen more AFVs die to Dragons than to US tanks (especially the non-TTH variants), so you wouldn't be in such a bad spot there. 😉

CMCW definitely did a lot to increase my overall evaluation of the Dragon. Though I don't believe it has ever been the case that the biggest threat to a tank was another tank. 

3 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

Basically it just involved giving the vehicle crew its own TOW launcher and making the graphic for the vehicle TOW disappear when the vehicle was dismounted

Is this very recent?  When I played CMSF2 with TOW Humvees, the bug was that once dismounted, the TOW team could not move nor re-embark.  Tow teams that arrive on a transport could disembark and move and deploy.

28 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Is this very recent?  When I played CMSF2 with TOW Humvees, the bug was that once dismounted, the TOW team could not move nor re-embark.  Tow teams that arrive on a transport could disembark and move and deploy.

I don't actually know. Someone may have mentioned that it was bugged in one of the threads around here, so maybe it can't be done for Swingfire for the same reason that it may not be working for the TOW.

I actually haven't played CMSF2 at all yet. I played CMSF all the time back in the day, but by the time CMSF2 came out life was making it difficult to find time to play any CM games. When I finally got time again I was mostly playing CM1 (for the early-war content that hasn't made it into CM2 yet), then mostly CMCW and CMBS, and recently (a few months ago) I decided to do a comprehensive playthrough of all of my CM2 games starting with CMFI (I'm going in chronological order, which unfortunately puts CMSF2 towards the end of the line).

The same system exists in CMCW already with the TOW jeep.
But it's not correct, they can dismount an mount again without problem.
The think is just, the TOW in the vehicle, and the TOW used dismounted by the crew are in fact different TOW launchers with their independent ammunition, which can't be interchanged.

So, if all missiles of the TOW jeep are fired, they can dismount, and fire 5 more missiles with their dismounted launcher.
But it's not very useful for the Swingfire, because the dismounted team can not shoot the TOW launcher of the vehicle, while dismounted.

11 hours ago, Butschi said:

Against the T64 & 72 Dragon & M60A1s can get kills from the rear or sides. It's just arranging that setup that gives me problems. The Sov, not being completely drink addled, frequently avoid providing flank shots, the buggers. 

H

About that...
I would think the best way is fooling the Soviet tanks, if one of your units Dragons, M150s or M60s gets a chance and has a line of sight on them while your opponent's armour is distracted. That could still be workable and score a hit. Yet, you should always be aware that your enemy will try to deploy their troops to sweep around and attack, they will backed up by APCs and IFVs, or bring in additional they might just send with tanks to deal with you, let alone to mention the potential threat of enemy fire support might already be called, which you should better be trying to keep your units alive longer enough before it's got the perfect opportunity to take a shot.

Edited by Alternativeway

7 hours ago, Alternativeway said:

About that...
I would think the best way is fooling the Soviet tanks, if one of your units Dragons, M150s or M60s gets a chance and has a line of sight on them while your opponent's armour is distracted. That could still be workable and score a hit. Yet, you should always be aware that your enemy will try to deploy their troops to sweep around and attack, they will backed up by APCs and IFVs, or bring in additional they might just send with tanks to deal with you, let alone to mention the potential threat of enemy fire support might already be called, which you should better be trying to keep your units alive longer enough before it's got the perfect opportunity to take a shot.

My problem is I frequently run short of distractions to entertain the enemy with as they my distractions seem to get big holes punched in them and/or explode. 

Playing the US w/early M60s kinda sucks. They are huge, the ammo struggles against anything better than a T62, the armor is vulnerable to RPG7s from the front, and they are slow. 

I'm Playing Meet & Greet right now and my best anti-armor weapon is TOW, but even those struggle to get thru the T64 from the front. My M60A1s have not had a great day of it, but you use the units you've got, not the ones you wish for. 

To be honest, I'm expecting Centurion and Chieftain to be similar to how the M60 plays, although I hope that the 120mm can actually get thru a T64 from the front. 

H

Edited by Halmbarte

On 3/13/2024 at 9:10 PM, Halmbarte said:

although I hope that the 120mm can actually get thru a T64 from the front. 

I don't think so. The Chieftain hasn't gotten its newer better L23 APFSDS ammunition yet in the game's timeframe, so it's still using the L15 APDS that it had when it first entered service in 1965. I believe that performs better than the M728 at certain ranges, but not better than the M735. In practical terms the chance of hitting a point on the T64 that it can penetrate should be exactly the same as for the M60, though it may be more accurate than the M60A1.

On 3/13/2024 at 9:10 PM, Halmbarte said:

Playing the US w/early M60s kinda sucks. ... and they are slow. 

They aren't that slow. Their mobility certainly doesn't stack up well compared to a modern tank. But I really don't think modern standards are the right standards by which to judge Cold War equipment. The M60's mobility feels about on par with a WW2 medium tank to me.

6 hours ago, Centurian52 said:

I don't think so. The Chieftain hasn't gotten its newer better L23 APFSDS ammunition yet in the game's timeframe, so it's still using the L15 APDS that it had when it first entered service in 1965. I believe that performs better than the M728 at certain ranges, but not better than the M735. In practical terms the chance of hitting a point on the T64 that it can penetrate should be exactly the same as for the M60, though it may be more accurate than the M60A1.

They aren't that slow. Their mobility certainly doesn't stack up well compared to a modern tank. But I really don't think modern standards are the right standards by which to judge Cold War equipment. The M60's mobility feels about on par with a WW2 medium tank to me.

If I think the M60 is slow I'll have a new low point when we get Chieftain? At least drivetrain reliability isn't modeled in CM. 

I do find it interesting both the Sov and UK arrived at opposed piston MBT engines, although they oriented them differently. 

H