What will be the next CM Eastern front game?

The focus shouldnt be pumping out another CMx2 title IMO. Anything Eastern should be packed with CMRT. 

I would love to see Fall Blau to Kursk, when the Germans were just beginning to get crushed. I think 1942-43 will offer a bit of everything, and would be pretty balanced too. BT-5, 7 and KV-1, KV-1S, wide range of vehicles. T-60 and T-70 tanks. 

Germans would have so much good kit too. 37mm at gun? Let's go! 

3 hours ago, Artkin said:

Anything Eastern should be packed with CMRT.

I agree. 

Ideally CMRT would be expanded to cover the whole time frame but I'm not sure we'll get all (or any) of the missing years.  I know there's some good stuff coming for RT but not early stuff.  @kohlenklau was making a brave and skilled attempt at modding some of this but I think he's had to take a gardening break from the strain.  Come back soon Phil...

5 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Personally I hope for CM Kursk and beyond. The fighting from the Summer of 1943 until the spring of 1944 is extremely interesting.

I guess such a game will be ready for release just in time for the 100 year aniversity...That is 2043...😖

8 hours ago, Glubokii Boy said:

I guess such a game will be ready for release just in time for the 100 year aniversity...That is 2043...😖

Perhaps. But let's not forget BF is a company and the work continues, even now. And it wouldn't be the first time BF surprises us.

12 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

It will take less effort with equipment than Barbarossa, so 1943 will probably be the next iteration in the East.

I'm looking more forward to crap tanks™ in 1941 though.

After re-reading Balcks memoires and Barrats Zhitomir-Berdichev I'm really hoping for the second half of 1943 and the beginning of 1944, but yes, 1941/42 would also be great.

• 3 weeks later...

I would put down hard cash right now for a Barbarossa game even if it meant I wouldn't be getting it until a couple years into the future. Earlier this year I read Between Giants by Prit Buttar and even in the relatively small section of the book that dealt with Barbarossa there were multiple battles that he described that I desperately wished that I could have played out in CM. Even if the next game isn't Barbarossa I'm way too much of a sucker for the Eastern front to not buy whatever it is immediately anyway 😉

In the 46th minute of this great interview, you can hear why the developers need to be very careful where they place limited resources. I always wondered why some eras, that seem so obvious to almost all wargamers, are not part of the CMx2 family. They will not sacrifice the quality of Combat Mission (for example the art work and historical  research) to rush a title on the dime. So titles have to be selected very carefully and I defer to them and work with what we have to try to game eras not exactly covered. The Stalingrad project and winter mod were fun to work on. You can put together a pretty nice north Africa tank battle with CMFI. "A Lot Too Late" takes place during early 1944 and works pretty well with the winter Mod. Many gamers will still want 1941 east front and 1940 France. Or something in the Pacific. These are out of reach now. But we were all surprised by Cold War, so we can dream. 

https://www.spreaker.com/user/12799661/developer-dialogue-3-battlefront-intervi

On 8/17/2022 at 6:43 PM, Artkin said:

I agree they should be working on cmx3, but when they release it I hope it'll be a strong title like China vs Taiwan (+US), or something similar.

Vietnam and WW2 won't cut it I don't think.

Not for you, but I definitely think it should be Eastern front ww2 or North Africa ww2.

42 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Not for you, but I definitely think it should be Eastern front ww2 or North Africa ww2.

Well the problem with that is North Africa is something I would consider a weak title. It wont sell well. Eastern Front was already done too, with only one module so far. CMRT will probably get 2 more modules.

11 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Well the problem with that is North Africa is something I would consider a weak title. It wont sell well. Eastern Front was already done too, with only one module so far. CMRT will probably get 2 more modules.

Eastern front Kursk and beyond would be perfect. Either for CMRT or the new engine. Such an underrated and fascinating period of that war. 

For me, earlier WW2, so Poland, France/Belgium, Greece, Barabarossa for sure, etc.  And yes North Afrika would be great (even if it's a weak title - sorry @Artkin my friend 😉).

But I also recognise that BFC might be expecting more sales per effort elsewhere - not something we're likely to be made privy to I imagine.

What if a massively rich benefactor stepped up to fund another WW2 title?  I'm thinking of you Jacob @Aragorn2002 😆

3 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

For me, earlier WW2, so Poland, France/Belgium, Greece, Barabarossa for sure, etc.  And yes North Afrika would be great (even if it's a weak title - sorry @Artkin my friend 😉).

But I also recognise that BFC might be expecting more sales per effort elsewhere - not something we're likely to be made privy to I imagine.

What if a massively rich benefactor stepped up to fund another WW2 title?  I'm thinking of you Jacob @Aragorn2002 😆

Haha, that would probably mean Holland 1940, the five days war. 😂

9 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Eastern front Kursk and beyond would be perfect. Either for CMRT or the new engine. Such an underrated and fascinating period of that war. 

I'm currently dug into 1942, but 1943 is next. When I'm reading about that I'm sure I'll feel as passionate as you. :)

I would love a Fall Blau game, but I wouldnt consider it for Cm x3. 

I think CMCW would have made a good fit, but now, the only game that can truly slap the market in the face is a game which includes China and the US.

Steve said he would be more open to theoretical wars, since cmbs and cmcw were both theoretical and sold well. 

Edited by Artkin

12 minutes ago, Artkin said:

I'm currently dug into 1942, but 1943 is next. When I'm reading about that I'm sure I'll feel as passionate as you. :)

I would love a Fall Blau game, but I wouldnt consider it for Cm x3. 

I think CMCW would have made a good fit, but now, the only game that can truly slap the market in the face is a game which includes China and the US.

Steve said he would be more open to theoretical wars, since cmbs and cmcw were both theoretical and sold well. 

It's all good actually. But I don't see China vs US happen to be honest. Fall Blau would be great, I agree. Or something refreshing like the Winter  War 1939/1940 or Tunesia 1943.

Edited by Aragorn2002