What will be the next CM Eastern front game?

On 8/17/2022 at 12:08 PM, BornGinger said:

If Battlefront want to get busy with something related to Combat Mission, I'd rather have them busy with making a new game engine. When that one is done and ready to be used they could release a Barbarossa game with it.

Well, they should be working on engine v5 right now, which is adaptions for modern PCs.

I agree, let's go for 1943 Kursk, and you would have all you need for the Cherkasy Battles, I almost forgot, why is there NO STURMTIGER in the Fire and rubble game, it broke my heart not seeing it and the only time I saw them in battle was when they were shelling apartment buildings during the Warsaw Uprising in 1944.

In the "bones" thread I suggested that BFC pump out something I called an "Early War Scenario kit" module for CMRT, CMFI and CMBN. They could go ahead and make it "triple expensive" to try and capture their desired margin over less sales if that strategy helped them get it made. As far as I am concerned, it could be a module that skips the stock scenarios and campaigns, it could skip QB maps, etc. I would really just want the game-coded toys to make my own battles. I rattled off the various weapons they would need 3D modelled and game-coded. 

BFC COULD even make the same basic module just slightly tailored for each CM. High level of overlap. A CMRT version, a CMFI version and a CMBN version.

They could crank up the cost and give us all a good squeeze for our money. I see fans of the early war and I think many folks would buy all 3 of the modules so they could have their fun. IF sales warranted it, then a "Official Scenario Packs" could be sold to again squeeze the customer base who were inclined to buy them. 

If someone writes an early war scenario for CMFI, then the scenario cannot be played unless the CM fan HAS that new module. right? Most of Charles's code work or parameters or whatever gets used 3 times for efficiency. 

I tried to find my post in the bones thread but had no luck...

16 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

BFC COULD even make the same basic module just slightly tailored for each CM. High level of overlap. A CMRT version, a CMFI version and a CMBN version.

They could crank up the cost and give us all a good squeeze for our money. I see fans of the early war and I think many folks would buy all 3 of the modules so they could have their fun. IF sales warranted it, then a "Official Scenario Packs" could be sold to again squeeze the customer base who were inclined to buy them. 

If someone writes an early war scenario for CMFI, then the scenario cannot be played unless the CM fan HAS that new module. right? Most of Charles's code work or parameters or whatever gets used 3 times for efficiency. 

I tried to find my post in the bones thread but had no luck...

A few years ago i would have agreed with this suggestion....Today i'm not so sure that the community would be able to produce enough scenarios and campaigns to make such a product work.

1 hour ago, Glubokii Boy said:

Today i'm not so sure that the community would be able to produce enough scenarios and campaigns to make such a product work.

Of course I don't know for sure what others might create. I do know that I already have a few scenarios for this time period in my goody box. They use workarounds and substitutions. Once given the actual toys I would really enjoy making more. 

Just now, kohlenklau said:

I would really enjoy making more. 

I would to...but two guys (or a handful more 😎) does not make for a very productive community...The activities around here has gone from low to close to non existant...

If a possible buyer expects very few scenarios to be made he might not be all that intrested in a product without playable content...

Personally i would buy a CMBB unit roster pack this minute if it was released...even at double or tripple the cost of a new basegame....No problem at all...

But i fear the demand for such a product might not be all that high any more (if it ever was...)

1 hour ago, Glubokii Boy said:

But i fear the demand for such a product might not be all that high any more (if it ever was...)

Yeah, but it sure is fun to fantasize we would even get something. 🙂

I believe that BFC in 2022 now works with various nations for selling CM as a tailored military training product. That is their main focus.  Best wishes to them.

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

That is their main focus.  Best wishes to them.

Yeah...We all need to get paid somehow...

It's a bit sad though that CM seems to be slowely dying...

Newer games like Warno or Regiments doesn't even come close to what BFC provides with CM...

Hopefully CM3 is not just a dream 😋

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

Yeah, but it sure is fun to fantasize we would even get something. 🙂

I believe that BFC in 2022 now works with various nations for selling CM as a tailored military training product. That is their main focus.  Best wishes to them.

Don't forget we were told that we wouldn't be abandoned, and we were the main focus. Sigh. Then came CMPE after officially lying (Pretty sure) about its existance. 

It's been a really slow past few years.

19 minutes ago, Glubokii Boy said:

Newer games like Warno or Regiments doesn't even come close to what BFC provides with CM...

They are the same crap. Wargame, wargame airland, wargame red dragon, steel division, divison 2, warno, and now regiments. 

Give it up Eugen, it's crap. Men of war failed with the same business model. No innovation, just a new texture pack. 

It honestly makes me sick seeing all the youtube sellout channels bragging about how good the game is. It's dog****. 

Regiments isn't Eugen, and it's actually pretty innovative. I do enjoy Eugen stuff too. Biggest complaint is that you're gonna be replaying the same 3 maps.

MoW really hit rock bottom, but Gates of Hell breathed some life into the franchise.

CM is its own genre and nothing has clenched my sphincter, as hard. I stream it from time to time, we-go is cool for replays. I own all the games + DLC, and intend to keep it that way.

I'd like to see CM Eastern Front content that features non-German, non-Soviet armies. Ie. Winter War, Continuation War, Fall Blau, Budapest Offensive, Nomonhan Incident and Invasion of Manchuria.

I guess I prefer modules for Red Tide, as that would gimme more QB maps and factions! Speaking of which, where's Poland People's Army?

36 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

nothing has clenched my sphincter, as hard

Love it ❤️.

36 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

I'd like to see CM Eastern Front content that features non-German, non-Soviet armies. Ie. Winter War, Continuation War, Fall Blau, Budapest Offensive, Nomonhan Incident and Invasion of Manchuria.

Totaly agree.  Now what incident was that 😆

Some of these things need a bit of development though and might not be an easy East Front add-on (i.e. Japanese/Chinese).

Oh it's not Eugen? It looks like it's the same engine. As far as I know Eugen rents that game engine to produce games with. I actually saw they created the game R.U.S.E. back in 2011 on seemingly the same engine. 

I really didnt look into regiments besides their trailers, which looked like an Eugen game clone

BFC had an idea way back to make their games have "modability" and sent along the rezexplode and rezpack utility programs. The game manual explained where to put mods. Then at some point the modtag feature was introduced. I can't say if this was really an offering to modders or just an internal feature that helped them and ALSO benefited modders. Either way, it is great. Hey! Whoever thought of modtags, maybe not even BFC?---Thank you! Now, in September 2022, I can't think of anything since modtags that has increased the modability of their games. AI group increases and such do help with writing scenarios but not modding. Modders have limits that BFC could help them overcome but taking on to solve and implement is not on the BFC list of things to get done. I wish modders had a small module that would just be a huge pile of workarounds for modders. For FREE, the modders try and create content. I wish BFC would help modders do more. I guess several of the BFC insiders seem to somewhat like and often support the fringe modder work but at the very top it is a BFC business decision to focus elsewhere. Best wishes

Edited by kohlenklau

Hey Koh... I could do with some help with renaming some of the weapons graphics from CMA, CMSF and CMBS so one can get full-color graphics in CMCW (with range and caliber etc).

I looked at the CW exploded bmp file and tried renaming relevant files in several ways.  But, they still do not appear in CW.  Eg: The M16 with the under barrel HE launcher.  

m16a1-m203 green; or m16m203 m16 green, or...?