Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

7 minutes ago, Sgt Joch said:

Well not really, Ukraine is unfortunately of no strategic importance to the EU or USA whatsoever. Even if the Russians should win and Ukraine is occupied for say 10, 20 or 30 years, it will have no impact on the ROW. It will be a tragedy for the Ukrainians of course, but so was the Vietnam war to the Vietnamese, Iraq war to the Iranians and the Afghanistan war to the Afghans. 

Does anyone think it would have been worth starting a nuclear holocaust over the Vietnam war, Iraq war, Afghanistan war or any of the other Cold War conflicts since 1945. This war is not any different.

Definitely disagree. The proof is in the pudding, the fact that unresolved border issues from 2014 have gotten us to a situation where Russian nuclear forces are on heightened alert, Putin's previously ironclad regime is shaking, and the world is guessing what will come next all adds up to Ukraine being of vital interest to the US and Europe. 

I once read an article about Afghanistan. It tried to explain why Afghanistan became such a focus of US policy when really it was of no strategic interest to the US. Why bother with the Taliban, with occupation, with regime change? Why not kill Osama and leave? The article argued that 9/11 proved one overriding thing to Washington: any country can become a strategic threat to the US overnight even if in a geostrategic framework the country may seem of marginal importance. Any country can launch a terrorist attack, or precipitate a regional war which threatens to upset the global order, to which the US has to respond. 

It is now in NATO's interest to at least neutralize Ukraine and permanently answer the 'Ukraine Question.' Personally I think the push is going to be integrating Ukraine into the European system some how rather than let it remain neutral, and thus a potential flashpoint. Though I respect that some, including @Haiduk, disagree. Because Ukraine has brought us to the brink of a major war, potentially a nuclear war, it is of strategic value. 

5 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

Yesterday we already had one POW from signal unit of 2nd MRD. Now large Russian forces is concentrating in Bakhmach area, on the east of Chernihiv oblast. Reportedly 75 tanks and other armor

Sorry just looking for clarification, was the POW taken from 2nd GMRD yesterday or was he taken previously and announced yesterday? That is do you think the division was committed yesterday or had been lurking in the area for a while?

I've noticed that very little information has come out of Kharkov or the Donbas front, excepting from the Sumy and Kharkov city itself. I wonder if thats because the fighting has been in the countryside by regular forces, or because of some other reason. I mean it seems like most news and footage has been civilian driven. 

7 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

Now large Russian forces is concentrating in Bakhmach area, on the east of Chernihiv oblast. Reportedly 75 tanks and other armor

Those tanks filmed there are marked with the symbol "O". Does anyone know what it stands for? Axis of advance? Army/Front command?

Ukraine invasion: People try to stop Russian tanks from advancing in Bakhmach | World News | Sky News

16 minutes ago, Sgt Joch said:

Well not really, Ukraine is unfortunately of no strategic importance to the EU or USA whatsoever. Even if the Russians should win and Ukraine is occupied for say 10, 20 or 30 years, it will have no impact on the ROW. It will be a tragedy for the Ukrainians of course, but so was the Vietnam war to the Vietnamese, Iraq war to the Iranians and the Afghanistan war to the Afghans. 

Does anyone think it would have been worth starting a nuclear holocaust over the Vietnam war, Iraq war, Afghanistan war or any of the other Cold War conflicts since 1945. This war is not any different.

But we don't start a nuclear holocaust, do we? We're just helping a country to fight against unjustified aggression and trying to discourage that aggressor from doing it again. Let's keep things in proportion.

2 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

Those tanks filmed there are marked with the symbol "O". Does anyone know what it stands for? Axis of advance? Army/Front command?

Ukraine invasion: People try to stop Russian tanks from advancing in Bakhmach | World News | Sky News

I suggested before it might mean 'license to kill", but that's double "O". 😃

3 minutes ago, BeondTheGrave said:

I've noticed that very little information has come out of Kharkov

As I can recall, he was captured yesterday near Kharkiv, alas I already can't find the video in huge massive of information. About todays probe on Kharkiv there was many information in the morning. On Donbas LNR seized Stanytsia Luhanska, Krymske and Markove. In Donbas sector DNR forces with Russian support two days heavy shelled and than assaulted Volnovakha, but it still in our hands. 

On the south Russians from the west and DNR from the east semi-encircled Mariupol, but 10th mountain-assault, 503rd battalion of 36th Marines brigade, Azov special detachment and National Guard regiment is fighting for the city.

Kharkiv direction defends 92nd and 54 mech.brigades and 3rd National Guard brigade

13 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

Close up to T-80U

"4" on turret looks like 4th tank Guard tank division. The cameraman say the tank was empty of fuel and abandoned. As a real Ukrainan he searches what of tank parts can be useful in his economy :)

The group in Bakhmach, I suppose, will atatck on Pryluky direction and further on Brovary and Boryspil, and further to left-bank districts of Kyiv

1 minute ago, Haiduk said:

"4" on turret looks like 4th tank Guard tank division. The cameraman say the tank was empty of fuel and abandoned. As a real Ukrainan he searches what of tank parts can be useful in his economy :)

The group in Bakhmach, I suppose, will atatck on Pryluky direction and further on Brovary and Boryspil, and further to left-bank districts of Kyiv

One regiment (forget which) of 4th Guards Tank Division is only unit that operates T-80U.

Just now, Commanderski said:

If the Russians are retreating en mass from Kyiv could that also mean they are getting out of the way for a possible tactical nuke or other very large conventional or chemical weapons?

Well, if Putin choses for that, we know we have to stop him. It will confirm that he is the pariah we already assumed.

I wonder whether one of the reasons to the success of the Ukrainian defenders can be that many Russian soldiers don't really want to be there and shoot at defenders that can be viewed as almost the same people as themselves.

The report in media about Russian soldiers that avoid shooting at Ukrainian defenders in Kyiv and prefer to run away when they spot them could maybe be based on that some of the Russian soldiers feel that they shouldn't be there although they as soldiers try to do what they are expected to do.

It will be interesting to hear what Russian soldiers say about this conflict after a couple of days or weeks when it hopefully has ended.

Edited by BornGinger

Hi,

former CM1-Player here. 

I just wanted to inform you about an possible paradigm shift in the German politics: 

In Berlin some hours ago a special session of parliament ended. Subject of the discussion was the situation in the Ukraine. 

Weapon deliveries to this country are now possible. The Bundeswehr gets this year 100 Billion Euro for additional spending. That's twice the annual budget. The military spending will be raised until 2024 above 2% of the GDP. Several NATO missions will be extended and joined. The Eurofighter as ECM, German-French aircraft and tank projects, the Heron drone and possibly the F-35 will be procured. 

Dependence from monopolised recources will be reduced by making use of varied means of supply. Two LNG terminals will be build in Wilhelmshafen and Brünsbüttel. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI7e-sVZfuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wnRxZu7_Qw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_DMcayCtnA

6 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

I wonder whether one of the reasons to the success of the Ukrainian defenders can be that many Russian soldiers don't really want to be there and shoot at defenders that can be viewed as almost the same people as themselves.

From what I was able to gather from Twitter most of the captured russians (mostly conscripts?) did not even know where they were geographically. I wouldn´t be surprised if we sooner than later see events of mutiny and surrender from the russian troops. Let´s see what the upcoming week will be all about.