Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

9 hours ago, billbindc said:

Come on now, brother. She is part of the administration and party that's been supporting Ukraine and she just vociferously committed to continuing to do so. Let's be happy about it in an entirely bipartisan fashion.

Ok, I’m not going to pollute this thread any further, but yes, she supports Ukraine, but she is also working to strip me of one of my rights under the Bill of Rights, “Shall not be infringed!”

1 hour ago, Vet 0369 said:

I’m not going to pollute this thread any further, but yes, she supports Ukraine, but she is also working to strip me of one of my rights under the Bill of Rights, “Shall not be infringed!”

Haha and you aren't worried about the way the Orange one has infringed the rights of others and the constitution and the working of Congress and absolutely doesn't support Ukraine.

I suggest folk get some balance and perspective...

On 8/23/2024 at 12:11 AM, Haiduk said:

Despite discission in twitter, alas, I tend to consider this was Ukrainian BMP-1 (not BMP-2). The matter not only in V or triangle mark. Russians post such photos, claiming that was a triangle, but one of it side was closed by a gun + quality losses of video = imagination of V. Also they claim their troops long time ago don't use V, but V in the squre. 

Our sources post, for example such photo of Russian UAZ as if from Kursk with clear V

But. The tent type of BMP is very similar on Ukrainian ones, which were spotted on meny vehicles. Russians mostly uses cope cages. And more - behavior of Kozak crew. They have much better spotting capabilities, but completely didn't react on approaching of BMP from front-left. So, they probably had seen it marks (triangle on the sidehull) and didn't consider coming armor like a threat. The video has obvious cutting between BMP came on crossroad and Russian BMP-3 opens fire, so hard to say what happened in this time. But only after first shots of BMP-3 Kozak's driver started roll back.

About shot in Kozak at 0:06 - I think BMP shot at some target forward, so commander and gunner watched the enemy forward, and too late had seen BMP-3 from the left, when the driver mistakingly has driven on open space, though some barn covered BMP-1, during it was moving along the road

A report from Ukrainian journalists about this battle. Ukrainian military clearly say that the BMP-2 was Russian.

In addition, at 6:00 minutes into the video, a Ukrainian soldier shows a captured Russian KAMAZ truck, captured at the beginning of the Kursk offensive, with the tactical V sign stripped off. This shows that the Russians continue to use the old tactical signs.

17 hours ago, danfrodo said:

Hi Aragorn Ol' buddy 😀

So is RU 'apathy' driven by selfishness and lack of caring?  Or is it driven by fear?  I bet lots of it is driven by fear like in your example above, which probably leads to self-interested thinking -- can't make a difference because will be punished so just look out for yourself.  Generation upon generation upon generation of this.

I bet you are watching the Kursk invasion with beer & popcorn every day 😁

Well, Dan, I agree with Steve that the large majority of the Russians are Orcs and  that Russia should be divided into as many small countries as possible. The 'Versailles' treatment, but this time with a lot more justification, combined with a Super Neurenberg trial, to cleanse that country of all war criminals and other thugs, from the past to the present day. Fear, indifference or whatever, for more than a century (in fact a lot longer) there's an evil wind blowing from the East and it's time we DO something about it.

As much as Ukraine's 'operation Citadel' amsuses me, I'm not sure what to make of it's use or effect yet. But hey, any way to kill Russians has my blessing. 🙂

Edited by Aragorn2002
Adding something

Zelensky confirms successful launch of new “Palyanytsya” missile

“Today, we witnessed the first successful combat use of our new weapon, the Palyanytsya drone missile. This is a completely new class of weaponry—our own Ukrainian innovation,” President Zelensky stated. He added, “This is our new method of delivering retribution to the aggressor.”

The “Palyanytsya” drone missile, named after a traditional Ukrainian bread, carries symbolic and practical significance. The word “palyanytsya” became a linguistic shibboleth during the Russian invasion of Ukraine in 2022, as it is notoriously difficult for non-native speakers, particularly Russians, to pronounce correctly due to the phonetic nuances of the Ukrainian language. The word has since taken on additional cultural resonance, symbolizing Ukrainian identity and resistance.

I'm curious what a drone missile is.

Kherson Cat speculates it was used on the Voronezh ammo depot

The SBU and the OGP reported in absentia about the suspicion to the Iranian general, who taught the Russians to strike with "Shahed" in Ukraine and personally coordinated 20 attacks .

"The security service has collected the evidence base on Brigadier General of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Sharif Molasarei Abbas Musa, who is involved in Russia's war against Ukraine.

According to the investigation, he directly helped the command of the occupation groups of Russia to carry out airstrikes on Ukraine using Iranian drones.

As evidenced by the proceedings, the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps handed over at least 1,500 Shahed-136 and Mohajer-6 combat drones to Russia in August-September 2022.

At the same time, in 2022, General Sharifi Molasarei Abbasu Musa personally came to the temporarily occupied Crimea and brought with him a group of Iranian UAV instructors.

It was under his leadership that specialized units of the Russian Armed Forces were trained on the combat use of the acquired drones on the training grounds of the peninsula.

In the future, the Iranian general, together with subordinate instructors, coordinated the actions of the Russian occupiers from the launches of "Shahed-136" and "Mohajer-6" on the civil infrastructure of Ukraine.

Only during September-October 2022, the aggressor carried out at least 20 series of massive attacks by Iranian UAVs on Ukrainian facilities.

On the basis of the collected evidence, the investigators of the Security Service and the prosecutors of the General Prosecutor's Office informed Sharifa Molasarei Abbas Musa in absentia about the suspicion under several articles of the Criminal Code of Ukraine:
▪️ Art. 27, Part 2 of Art. 28, Part 2 of Art. 437 (assistance in the conduct of an aggressive war committed by a group of persons in accordance with a prior conspiracy);
▪️ h. 2 Art. 28, Part 1 of Art. 438 (violation of the laws and customs of war provided for by international treaties, consent to the binding nature of which was given by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine).

Comprehensive measures are underway to bring the perpetrator to justice for war crimes against our state."

Iranian General who helped Russia use their Shahed drones has been sentenced in absentia in Ukraine. 

He might want to take a look under his car in the future before he gets in.

8 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

Ok, I’m not going to pollute this thread any further, but yes, she supports Ukraine, but she is also working to strip me of one of my rights under the Bill of Rights, “Shall not be infringed!”

You'll be stripped of a whole lot more if you let that blathering orange old fart back into that office. Just saying.

16 hours ago, FancyCat said:

What we can't see is all of the damage done by heat stress.  Sometimes a scorch mark is just that, but in this case I think it indicates effective need for replacement.  I bet that Ukraine was waiting until they had a confirmed ferry loaded with fuel before launching that attack for that very reason.

Given that operations in the south aren't all that central to the fighting, I don't think this will have any near term impact on the war.  Other than making things more difficult for Russians to maintain their forces and occupation.  Which is a good thing.

Steve

8 hours ago, Eug85 said:

A report from Ukrainian journalists about this battle. Ukrainian military clearly say that the BMP-2 was Russian.

In addition, at 6:00 minutes into the video, a Ukrainian soldier shows a captured Russian KAMAZ truck, captured at the beginning of the Kursk offensive, with the tactical V sign stripped off. This shows that the Russians continue to use the old tactical signs.

Yes, thanks for that.  I was going to say the same thing.  It appears some units have continued using the V symbol for the usual military traditions of wanting to look special.  I still see them from time to time, but I will say it's been a long time since I've seen "O" symbols.

Steve

6 hours ago, Offshoot said:

Zelensky confirms successful launch of new “Palyanytsya” missile

I'm curious what a drone missile is.

Kherson Cat speculates it was used on the Voronezh ammo depot

Maybe the cruise missile part is to cover a lot of ground fairly quickly then it either becomes, or perhaps drops off, a more nimble drone?  I mean, we have envisioned that sort of thing in this thread so it does seem logical.  More logical than a drone that becomes a cruise missile.

Steve

An entertaining review of a captured Russian 1P87 collimator sight with magnifier, part of the Ratnik system, from a foreign soldier in the service of the Ukrainian Armed Forces. Particularly curious is the extremely low quality of the optics, which makes aiming difficult due to the many glares.

2 hours ago, Blazing 88's said:

You'll be stripped of a whole lot more if you let that blathering orange old fart back into that office. Just saying.

Benjamin Franklin said, “He who would give up liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security.” It has been a long time since I read that, so my quote might be missing a word or two.

4 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

Benjamin Franklin said, “He who would give up liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security.” It has been a long time since I read that, so my quote might be missing a word or two.

And herein lies the great American inconsistency - liberty is a universal human right…or is it earned? If it is earned then it can be a commodity. If it is truly universal it should be free.  Based on how the US works the answer is really not clear which side they come down on.

1 minute ago, Vet 0369 said:

Enough with your gun cult propaganda, please.  Did you know the constitution has more in it than just guns?  yeah, who knew?  In general, gun cultists always conveniently leave out the first part of the single sentence that makes up the 2nd amendment, cuz it kinda muddies the waters about whether ya gotta be in a 'well regulated militia' to play with guns or not. And guns is fun to play with, they are a ton of fun actually,  but how about we stop equating these toys with 'freedom'.  Your assault rifles are just toys, they aint 'freedom'.  I aint saying you shouldn't have your toys, but I am damn sick of the gun cult acting like it's the end-all be-all of f--ing freedom.

By the way, for you foreigners, what the 2nd amendment of the US constitution actually says (yeah, this is the entirety of US constitution on guns):

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

11 minutes ago, Vet 0369 said:

Yeah, and it still has nothing to do with our discussion here. So let's just drop it before we (once again) have people reminding you that the traditional threat to liberty in the US has always come from the right.  If you don't understand why a historian (and I am one of those) would say such a thing, then go to Wikipedia and do a quick skim of The Red Scare and McCarthyism to get a feel for what history can teach us.

EDIT - too late, already happened while I was typing :)

Steve

It would be interesting if Russia sends signals that U.S weapons fired from Ukraine into Russia are not a red line, or not a big deal, prepping the population for remaining apathetic when it does happen. Indicates softening on the part of Russia. 

If Washington did allow Ukraine to strike military targets deeper within Russia with U.S. weapons, it would dash yet one more taboo, but Sergei Markov, a pro-Kremlin analyst, suggested that Moscow had already factored this in.

“In Russia, there is no doubt that such permission will be given,” he said. “Russia already considers that the decision has been taken by the U.S.”

“Russia tried to clearly draw these red lines, but the U.S., which is a participant in the conflict, decided that ‘We’re not going to cross any big red lines but only small ones,'” he said “They decided we are going to cut these red lines into dozens of small thin red threads, to cross them bit by bit so that there was no big event which could become a” cause of war.

A Russian academic with close ties to senior Moscow diplomats said the Russian leadership was taking the use of U.S. and Western weapons deeper in Russia “very seriously” but said it wasn’t clear whether a decision had been made on how to respond. He spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss deliberations in Moscow frankly.

Russian authorities have been seeking to downplay the significance of the Ukrainian incursion and failure of its military leadership.

The presence of Ukrainian troops in 15 to 20 “little known” villages in the Kursk region was of “little significance” compared to Russian advances in Donetsk, Markov said. But if Ukraine occupied all of Glushkovsky district in Kursk or took the regional capital, Kursk city, “this would be a very big loss” that could force Putin to change his approach, he added.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/08/24/putin-red-lines-war-ukraine/

"A cover story was also hatched. Ukrainian officials began to warn in mid-summer that Russia was building up forces across the border from the Sumy region, implying Putin may seek to extend a “buffer zone” to protect Russia’s border regions from Ukrainian fire. But the warnings were in fact a ruse to trick Russian reconnaissance as Ukraine moved equipment and troops into place.

Several western officials and foreign military attaches in Kyiv were also baffled. Why was Ukraine signalling that Russia was amassing forces to potentially invade Sumy when intelligence, including satellite imagery, suggested no such build-up of forces?

The first actual movements began in late July and the first days of August. Ukraine quietly redeployed brigades to the northern Sumy region from across its 1,000km frontline, including some of the hottest areas of fighting."

@ChristopherJM

@NastyaStognei

https://ig.ft.com/ukraine-incursion/

"Electronic warfare units jammed radios and mobile phone service, making it impossible for the Russians to communicate and call for help. But the jammers also affected the Ukrainians. 'Walkie-talkies didn’t work. Our phones didn’t work,' said a senior Ukrainian soldier in a unit using western fighting vehicles. The Starlink satellite internet systems that have aided operations in the past also didn’t work, because Elon Musk had disabled their use in Russian territory. 'We were all in the dark, totally dependent on our instincts and the trust that all our guys were doing at the same time what was planned,' said a lieutenant."

4 minutes ago, FancyCat said:

That's really funny.  Putin thinking he's drawing UKR forces away from other areas due to UKR fear of Sumy offensive.  Then there actually is a Sumy offensive, except it goes north, not south.  Very clever by UKR. 

Meanwhile, I saw today that 115 for 115 prisoner exchange today.  UKR gets back some soldiers who've been held since early in war, while RU got back some young conscripts, possibly very recently captured.

34 minutes ago, FancyCat said:

Several western officials and foreign military attaches in Kyiv were also baffled. Why was Ukraine signalling that Russia was amassing forces to potentially invade Sumy when intelligence, including satellite imagery, suggested no such build-up of forces?

Quote cut from the above referenced article.  I know a few of us here were also baffled.  I thought Ukraine was either overreacting or was trying to use it as leverage to get more support from the West.  I never once thought it was cover to build up an invasion force.  Sometimes I like being fooled 🙂

Steve