How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

1 hour ago, akd said:

This is 100% not a Martian colonization thread. No, wait, 1000% not.

S̶a̶i̶l̶o̶r̶s̶ Warriors fighting in the dance hall
Oh man, look at those c̶a̶v̶e̶m̶e̶n̶ grognards go
It's the freakiest show
Take a look at the lawman
Beating up  t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶g̶u̶y̶ ̶ KevinKin
Oh man, wonder if he'll ever know
He's in the best selling show
I̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶f̶e̶ ̶ ̶ Are there panzers on Mars?

Edited by LongLeftFlank

More re Sevastopol strike - geo-locating is suggesting it's the dry dock that's been hit (may be too good to be true - wait and see).

Edit - Check this twit for more pics and explosions

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love

Edit 2 - Claims to be

Russian Ropucha-class LST on fire in the Sevastopol drydock

Edited by Fenris

Claims to be video of tonights strike in Sebastopol. If true either the Ukrainians put two hits on the same bullseye, or there was something on that dry dock to generate a large secondary explosion. Could the Russians have put that sub in dry dock without removing its missiles?

Edited by dan/california

3 minutes ago, dan/california said:

Claims to be video of tonights strike in Sebastopol. If true either the Ukrainians put two hits on the same bullseye, or there was something on that dry dock to generate a large secondary explosion. Could the Russians have put that sub in dry dock without removing its missiles?

I imagine a dry dock would have a lot of gas equipment in it, but from the video it certainly sounds like a second missile coming in with a bit of delay on the sound.

1 hour ago, Fenris said:

More re Sevastopol strike - geo-locating is suggesting it's the dry dock that's been hit (may be too good to be true - wait and see).

Edit - Check this twit for more pics and explosions

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love

Edit 2 - Claims to be

Hmmm... my guess is the Olenegorsky Gornyak, which was damaged last month.  I think the other two Ropucha class ships that were struck last year at Berdiansk have since been put back into service.  Though I could be wrong about at least one of them.

Whatever the ship and whatever the result, it looks like Russia's Navy is a little smaller today than it was yesterday.

Steve

What sanctions doing?

Russia buys sanctioned parts for aircraft through friendly countries

"Journalists analysed customs data and found out that from March 2022 to March 2023, more than US$180 million worth of original spare parts for Boeing and Airbus were imported to Russia."

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/09/12/7419552/

And we've already seen US ICs (e.g. Texas Instruments) in recent built Russian drones. Why aren't Western sanctions on Russia as effective as Swiss sanctions on Ukraine?

Nearly 100 Leopard 1 tanks stored in the open as Switzerland rejects transfer to Ukraine

"Almost 100 Swiss-made Leopard 1 tanks are being stored out in the open in Italy following Switzerland's refusal to allow their transfer to Ukraine, Swiss public broadcasting organization RSI reported on Aug. 26."

main-3.jpeg

https://kyivindependent.com/media-nearly-100-leopard-1-tanks-stored-in-the-open-as-switzerland-rejects-transfer-to-ukraine/

I'm waiting to see pictures of bread lines in Moscow.

https://t.me/mod_russia/30416

⚡ Tonight, the Ukrainian Armed Forces launched a strike with ten cruise missiles at the ship repair plant named after. S. Ordzhonikidze in the city of Sevastopol and three unmanned boats from a detachment of ships of the Black Sea Fleet on the sea crossing.

▫️Air defense systems shot down seven cruise missiles, and the patrol ship Vasily Bykov destroyed all unmanned boats. As a result of being hit by enemy cruise missiles, two ships undergoing repairs were damaged.

4 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Hmmm... my guess is the Olenegorsky Gornyak, which was damaged last month.  I think the other two Ropucha class ships that were struck last year at Berdiansk have since been put back into service.  Though I could be wrong about at least one of them.

Whatever the ship and whatever the result, it looks like Russia's Navy is a little smaller today than it was yesterday.

Steve

"Olenegorskiy gornyak" stands in the dock of Novorossiysk - she would't survive sailing to Sevastopol with such damages

Reportedly large landing ship "Minsk" and B-237 "Rostov-on-Don" submarine were hit. Also reportedly two workers were killed and 26 were wounded during the strike

image.thumb.png.a4dd8a246d4cb64030a0c806890197e6.png

Edited by Haiduk

17 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

That makes total sense.  But it does make me wonder if dragging a steel bar with some plates on it, suspended by crossed chains (to limit lateral movement), could be effective in detonating AP mines while on the move.  It's one of those ideas that might work in theory but in practice not, so I'm assuming that's why nobody does it.

Thanks for that video!  High quality, crisp video of Leopard 1 is great to watch.  I admit that I find them quite sexy!

One thing that came to mind is that the Bundeswehr (and others) have still have very fresh institutional knowledge about these vehicles since they've only recently been retired by most nations.  Compare this to Russia rolling out T-55s where the instructors likely had to crack open some books to familiarize themselves with them.

A small detail to note.  The Bundeswehr provided the Ukrainians standard issue BW uniforms.  I've seen other training videos where the host country supplies uniforms.  They should have sprung a few extra Euros to also give them some Panzerkombi (coveralls) and not just the standard 2 piece uniform (one guy was wearing a parka without liner, which I found odd).  Sorry, I'm a uniform grog so couldn't help mentioning it.

I only saw German officers and, briefly, the sleeve of a Ukrainian uniform.  A one star general shown briefly at the beginning wears the beret of the German-French Brigade. 

Steve

There is a second video form the press briefing. Sadly only auto generated subtitles are available. Made a short recap.

- German-French brigade is currently providing most of the instructors for the training hub north with Pz.Btl. 203 providing tank specific training
- Danish trainers had the most recent knowledge of the Leo1
- German and Dutch trainers had to reacquire their knowledge as the Leo1 was phased out earlier than in Denmark
- the press asked if Ukrainians would benefit from the delivery of such a old tank and Marlow repeats all the things that were discussed in this thread
basically the Leo1a5 is a 2a4 with thin armor compared to the Russian stuff the tank is able to reverse 😀, has a thermal imager, fully stabilized main gun and better crew ergonomics.
- until the end of May 15000 Ukrainian soldiers have been trained
- goal to train soldiers was raised to 30000 by the end of November 2024 but Gen Marlow is sure they will hit the mark much earlier

Looking at the AMX 10RC I'm under the impression the Ukrainians know how to employ Stug's on steroids.

12 hours ago, Haiduk said:

Probably the shield, changing trajectory of bullets, to protect legs of infantry, who follow behind IFV during attack. This feature has been using since ATO times. Often in front of BTR/BMP were mounted multiple chains. 

As @holoween and the @The_Capt said on Bundeswehr vehicles they are for camouflage reasons, mostly made of rubber or some sort of natural fiber like burlap.

9 hours ago, danfrodo said:

I wasn't saying we should never go to mars.  I am saying we shouldn't be 'colonizing' it anytime soon or even sending humans.  we need better technology before we do that.  And it would cost an insane amount of money to send even a research team there & back.  At a time when we use drones to do lots of dangerous dirty work why would be send humans to mars for research right now?  I am all for sending 'drones' until we get better propulsion & survival tech.  Mars is a radiation soaked hell hole w low gravity and very little air, why would we 'colonize' that in near term?  It's a death sentence and would cost a trillion dollars.   And why would we try to send people to mars on 7-9 month trip, each way, when we don't even have a base on the moon, 2-3 days away.  (note, I do think we should put a station on moon and use that to learn). 

Edited by Splinty
Irrelevant

4 hours ago, Sojourner said:

Nearly 100 Leopard 1 tanks stored in the open as Switzerland rejects transfer to Ukraine

"Almost 100 Swiss-made Leopard 1 tanks are being stored out in the open in Italy following Switzerland's refusal to allow their transfer to Ukraine, Swiss public broadcasting organization RSI reported on Aug. 26."

main-3.jpeg

https://kyivindependent.com/media-nearly-100-leopard-1-tanks-stored-in-the-open-as-switzerland-rejects-transfer-to-ukraine/

I'm waiting to see pictures of bread lines in Moscow.

Germans are working on a deal where Greece sends 100 of their Leopard 1 to Ukraine and Germany buys and refurbishes these 100 ex-Italian Leopard 1 for Greece in return.

win-win? or something like that...

Local Sevastopol TG claims, refering to sources in administration and Black Sea Fleet, that according last information there were 2 maritime drones and 8 missiles. UKR aviation resource hints there was airstrike, so Storm Shadow/SCALP were used. Russians initially reported about combined strike of converted S-200 and Storm Shadows. According to last info (unofficial for now) only two drones and two missiles were intercepted.

Number of victims of workers raised to 11 killed and 31 wounded. Landing ship and submarine allegedly destroyed, two more ships damaged, but level of damage is unknown.

More, after the strike, there was information about UKR diversion group operates in Sevastopol,so police and Army patrols were directed to find them. Police passed one of army patrols as sabateurs and opened fire. In result of skirmish 3 soldiers and  1 policeman were killed.

image.png.0b8eab4c204a7682281369f90ecb57fd.png

Edited by Haiduk