How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

2 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

I am even going to un-ignore you because I am going to be first to rub your unruly mop of hair and just smile at your incorrigible rapscallion ways.  Your are a stump thumping looney kevinkin, but you are our looney.  Try not to get banned because then we will have to find another.

Man, did I win this one. Maneuver warfare baby. 

23 minutes ago, Holien said:

Yuk!!!! I have just had my dinner!

Book a room you two...

ARE WE THERE YET????

Don’t sully a wonderful thing.

No we are not there yet but ISW dropped its daily:

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-september-10-2023

Interesting comment here:

Ukrainian Main Military Intelligence Directorate (GUR) Head Kyrylo Budanov stated on September 10 that Ukrainian forces will continue counteroffensive operations into late 2023.[4] Cold and wet weather will affect but not halt active combat, as it has done in the first 18 months of the war. Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley stated on September 10 that Ukrainian forces probably have 30 to 45 days of “fighting weather” left.[5] Seasonal heavy rains and heavy mud in late autumn will slow ground movements for both sides, and low temperatures impose a variety of logistics challenges. The start of such seasonal weather is variable, however.[6] While weather considerations will affect Ukrainian counteroffensive operations, they will not impose a definite end to them. A hard freeze occurs throughout Ukraine in the winter that makes the ground more conducive to mechanized maneuver warfare, and Ukrainian officials expressed routine interest in exploiting these weather conditions in winter 2022–2023.[7]”

I was wondering at this last winter - what are the UA winter warfare capabilities?  A winter breakout offensive once the ground freezes would be awesome.  The RA likely struggles the most in the cold due to logistical strain so the opportunity could be there but there are definitely challenges.  We assumed the offensive would pause with the weather but maybe the UA has other plans?

17 minutes ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

Please don't write another love interest fan fic like your Putin Prig love story. I don't know if we can handle it.

Hey man don’t knock it.  I personally think that Prigy is at the lake house trying on different beard and wig combos until Vlad makes weekend getaways.  Now it is truly a forbidden love that must be kept away from the world, spiced with a hint of danger.  It will be fun for awhile but it is doomed.  Prig will get bored and Putin will eventually have to let him go…likely into the lake with a cinder block to keep him warm.  But for now:

Well, this turned sour quickly.

I was about to say how I admire the way most people on this forum give room to people who, let's say it gently, have "a different outlook" on one or more discussed items. That is, as far as my pretty extensive experience with discussions on all kinds of topics with all kinds of people goes, pretty rare.

Even when posters repeatedly showed factual ignorence, persisted in refusing to corroborate their unsubstantiated claims or statements, shied away from being reasonable, the average Battlefrontforum-poster stayed civil and patient. The administrators on this forum showed an even more lenient attitude towards "dissident" posters; also when those posters ignored CLEAR warnings that they were becoming a disruptive presence.

This forum is one of the most democratic and most reasonable "places of discussion" I have ever experienced.

If one poster gets multiple posters this annoyed, then there is no other conclusion that this poster wants to antagonize. Usually there is an underlying reason that has to do with things like loneliness, lack of self-esteem, unresolved anger, mental issues and what not.

But whatever the reason is, disrupting a perfectly decent and exceptionally high-leveled forum in this way, is reprehensable.

What a shame.

1 hour ago, kevinkin said:

Man, did I win this one. Maneuver warfare baby. 

No, you lost.  You did not do as you promised (I didn't think you would) and you instead went out swinging.  And once again, at me personally.  Not surprising, since people who believe they are superior to everybody around them rarely understand when they are called out on their behavior.  I know it is a defense mechanism so you can maintain your concept of self in the face of challenge from those you interact with.  I'm sure everybody here is fine with that arrangement.

To the rest of you lot, there is no need to discuss this further.  Chapter closed.

Steve

11 minutes ago, Kinophile said:

I feel like I stepped in something and it just won't come off my shoe. 

@Battlefront.com can we please close the door on this silly immature nonsense?

Before @The_Capt starts posting AI pics visualizing their relationship... 

Immature?!  Meow.  How about a highly satirical theory that 1) attempts to lighten the mood of a pretty brutal war, and 2) highlights the total absurdity of what actually happened, or appeared to happen during the whole Putin-Prig drama.  The events were so bizarre that we are reduced to Taylor Swift in trying to explain the levels of dysfunction within the Russian power hierarchy.

It is ludicrous but also probably the best theory I can come up with for that whole insane chapter.

Ok, as a long-time member of this board I have an amazingly small post count, of course I was a victim of the great general forum flush many years ago, but my count is still paltry compared to others of my longevity.

Why?  I very seldom post my opinion unless I have taken the time to do the research to back it up, I learned from painful experience that if I don't take the time, I will get my a$$ handed to me by those who do. So now if it is important to me I will do my research and share it along with my post.  Simply screaming that the sky is actually bluish purple over and over will not convince anyone.  Now if I provide some reasoning or at least a link to support my opinion I know that I have at least attempted to provide the bare minimum out of respect to others on this board.

If they come back with a counter argument, I am willing to listen, debate and often be proven wrong.  That is how discussions work in a civil environment, and how we all grow.

By the way, "Technically, the short wavelengths that scatter across the sky correspond to the colours blue and violet, making the real colour of the sky a bluish purple."

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/space-science/why-is-the-sky-blue

13 hours ago, Fenris said:

Analogue armour

11 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

To the Russian's credit, these ancient tanks look to be in pretty good condition.  Not refurbished condition, just good storage.  Which begs the question as to how many they have like this vs. the outside storage with open engine decks and hatches?

If someone took this video back in time and showed it to all the 2022 people who were convinced Russia could afford its losses and were going to mount a big comeback there would be a lot of awkward conversations.  The good people who believed this would likely accept it, the bad ones (like Macgregor) would probably think it is a sign of how good the Russians are because only they have the guts to use 50 year old tanks against modern armed opponents.

Steve

Does no-one else think that this is one of the more sensible and right-headed decisions the Russians have made, during this war?  If the Russian expectation (practically their intention, as far as I can see) is that they will lose a large number of tanks, then surely your 50 year old tank stock is exactly the stock you should run down first?  What else is it for?

I'm not saying it doesn't expose various kinds of 'flaws' in the Russian way of working and I'm not saying they haven't lost embarassing numbers of modern vehicles but I really don't think the reappearance of T-55s in Russian frontline service is necessarily a sign of desperation, at all.

On 9/9/2023 at 9:00 AM, Haiduk said:

No. Each UKR soldier will tell you, that BTR-70 is a piece of sh...t in comarison with M-113/YPR-765

BTR-60/70/80 have too weak side hull armor, which can't maintain proper protection from 7.62 and often against 5.45 AP from close range, when M113 protects. Inner compartment of BTRs is too narrow for soldiers in modern equipment and body armor, because both and BTR and BMP series were designed in ColdWar era, when soldiers haven't such equipment and in design was put an avarage height of Soviet soldier in 1960-1970 as about 160-165 sm, this is one more answer, why RUS and UKR soldiers ride on the top of armor. Not only because if it hit, all will burn alive (it's enough exaggregation if it not 125 mm HE), but because of full squad of troops will waste value time, trying to disembark from narrow compartment under fire. So, UKR soldiers always ride inside M113 to enemy positions, because it much safer, and disembark time is much shorter, than from inside BTR-70

Enclosed turret of BTRs doesn't give enough protection, but instead strict natural LOS of gunner. M113/HMMMWV guneer can better to observe battlefield, when he gets targeting from comamnder or spot the target himself. 

One guy from "Azov" NG brigade wrote brigade try to get at least several dozens of M113 and he amazed, why it so hard. Even 3rd assault briagade "Azov", using M113/YPR, as he told indeed have very small of them and all M113, which you can see in their videos are the same several APC. 

Fair enough. That was not one of my better thought out comments. And I think some of the downsides of the BTR, such as cramped conditions for the dismounts, are things which tend to get missed by Combat Mission.

45 minutes ago, Seedorf81 said:

Well, this turned sour quickly.

I was about to say how I admire the way most people on this forum give room to people who, let's say it gently, have "a different outlook" on one or more discussed items. That is, as far as my pretty extensive experience with discussions on all kinds of topics with all kinds of people goes, pretty rare.

Even when posters repeatedly showed factual ignorence, persisted in refusing to corroborate their unsubstantiated claims or statements, shied away from being reasonable, the average Battlefrontforum-poster stayed civil and patient. The administrators on this forum showed an even more lenient attitude towards "dissident" posters; also when those posters ignored CLEAR warnings that they were becoming a disruptive presence.

This forum is one of the most democratic and most reasonable "places of discussion" I have ever experienced.

If one poster gets multiple posters this annoyed, then there is no other conclusion that this poster wants to antagonize. Usually there is an underlying reason that has to do with things like loneliness, lack of self-esteem, unresolved anger, mental issues and what not.

But whatever the reason is, disrupting a perfectly decent and exceptionally high-leveled forum in this way, is reprehensable.

What a shame.

Thank you for that.  It is always nice to hear, even though the standards elsewhere are so low it's not too hard to be better :)

I've been moderating this forum since 1999, or whenever it was we first formalized it from what it was before.  I am very proud of the community that has been built up over that time.  The disruptive personalities are, fortunately, relatively small in number.  It's important to give them enough room to either figure out what the rules before enforcing them.  For long time members who have, for whatever reason, taken a turn for the worse I try even harder to not hit the Ban Button.  However, as is obvious in this case, sometimes there's just no option and for the good of the community an individual has to go.

Steve