How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

21 minutes ago, pintere said:

From telegram

https://t.me/pilotblog/6054

A drone captures the moment a Russian soldier pulls the pin on his own grenade in order to avoid capture by the Ukrainians (video is blurred out).

It‘s interesting how (compared to the Ukrainians) Russians are simultaneously more likely to desert and also more likely to commit suicide when all seems lost. This isn’t the first video I’ve seen of a Russian soldier self-deleting, but I haven’t heard of any Ukrainians doing this. 

Captured Russians told, their commanders and Russian propaganda brainwashed them, that Ukrainins will violently torture them if they get captured. So, to avoid of cruel tortures and painful death, they have a fast solution - suicide. Also they brainwashed that to be captured by "fascists" is a shame. Also some Russians kill themselves, because in some cases they morally broken and fell themselve in hopeless situation. Value of life in Russia, especially in their outbacks is so low, that soldiers often without hesitation pull the pin in order all this tortures to finish quilcly. And their death will bring milliions for their families and kids.  

Not blurred video. GRAPHIC! 

https://twitter.com/Gulli_ver_sn/status/1691144193068904452

Edited by Haiduk

Russian TG told in result of yesterday missile strike on Yuryivka village between Berdiansk and Mariupol was killed colonel Viktor Kovaliov. So, some HQ or officers deployment was still hit

Also became knowingly in yesterday crash of Russian L-39 tarining jet in Adygeya Republic was lost comamnder of 627th Guard training aviation regiment (airfield Tikhoretsk) Vadim Gurov. The second pilot - senior glight instructir of Akhtubinsk flying test center Mikhail Lipatkin was injured. 

Edited by Haiduk

1 hour ago, Vet 0369 said:

In the U.S., a Major is the Executive of a Battalion.

Also true in Commonwealth-style armies. I think the point is that unless something has gone very wrong, a major wouldn't expect to be commanding a battalion or a brigade.

Video of destroying two Russian S-300V launchers and probably two damaged 9S32 guidance radars in rice filds near Pryvillia, Kherson oblast near isthmus between Kalanchak village and Armiansk town. Satellite OSINT showed this happened not later than on 23rd of July

1 hour ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

Cope cage on a Challenger? Sacrilege!

Hehe.  It's kinda ironic that Russia put cages on its tanks to stop top attack weaponry and that didn't work, but they are probably useful against drone bombers.  Side protection is the key to stop FPV drones, though protection for the top certainly can yield results.

Steve

Hypothetical: If NATO/US significantly reduced military support for Ukraine, could Ukraine go into defensive mode at the current borders and hold off any Russian offensive based on current and short-term (6-12 months) Russian capabilities?

If Ukraine was basically left to it's on devices, would this war turn into a stalemate?  (Let's HOPE they aren't left to their own devices.) 

Report that Surovikin is, indeed, relieved of command and under indefinite house arrest:

https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-general-armageddon-sergei-surovikin-removed-military-leadership-under-house-arrest-reports/

As far as I can tell this is the first confirmation of his status since he disappeared in connection with Prig's march on Moscow.

Steve

2 hours ago, Haiduk said:

Captured Russians told, their commanders and Russian propaganda brainwashed them, that Ukrainins will violently torture them if they get captured. So, to avoid of cruel tortures and painful death, they have a fast solution - suicide. Also they brainwashed that to be captured by "fascists" is a shame. Also some Russians kill themselves, because in some cases they morally broken and fell themselve in hopeless situation. Value of life in Russia, especially in their outbacks is so low, that soldiers often without hesitation pull the pin in order all this tortures to finish quilcly. And their death will bring milliions for their families and kids.  

Not blurred video. GRAPHIC! 

https://twitter.com/Gulli_ver_sn/status/1691144193068904452

Brutal video, but I wonder why there are two cuts in the video from the time he allegedly pulls the pin and till the grenade goes off? Not to save video time, because it should only be a couple of seconds.

Edited by Bulletpoint

5 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

don't think I've seen any footage of Strykers in combat at all!

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukrainian-stryker-seen-in-frontline-video-for-the-first-time

That we are finally seeing Stryker being used near Robotyne could be an indication that Ukraine is trying to seize on an opportunity to punch through Russian defenses that have been breached.

In the proper hands Stryker's are a new element on the battlefield. So I will back track from my post commenting that the UA has nothing "new" to project. Put these on good roads they could produce havoc on the RA communication nodes. Not sure there are enough in place to use on multiple directions. Keep an eye on these bad boys. 

Edited by kevinkin

As previously reported about advances southwest from positions east of Robotyne while back. Here is some more on that claim.

Also there is this one of unknown reliability but nevertheless can wait for confirmation elsewhere.

And finally some more stuff coming from Sweden with the most interesting being the air-to-air missiles. 

Edited by Teufel

5 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

The solution, of course, is to arm Lancets with a tandem warhead.  I don't know if it is feasible with the vehicle as is (could have carrying capacity maxed out), but at the very least it would increase the costs over what they are now.

Steve

Countermeasure to that would be, in turn, to simply drap every vehicle in mosquito or fishing nets ;) But seriously speaking, there was quite a discussion month ago here among experts, including those who were at the frontlines, trying to figure out why we don't see more and solid nets around every station, vehicle and car (without satisfactory answer; perhaps best was that it is passive "it won't be me" attitude). Muscovite loitering munition became such a problem in last months that it should be basic protection already 20 km behind the frontline.

3 hours ago, pintere said:

It‘s interesting how (compared to the Ukrainians) Russians are simultaneously more likely to desert and also more likely to commit suicide when all seems lost. This isn’t the first video I’ve seen of a Russian soldier self-deleting, but I haven’t heard of any Ukrainians doing this. 

I heard about such cases, especially early in the war among more edgy, nationalistic battalions and even one IL legionist in Severdonietsk cauldron. But didn't see any video, too; probably because worse video coverage on Russian side of the war at that time. Certainly some keeped "last granade" with them. Also unlike with Russians, the prospect of being captured alive by kadyrovites, dirlewagnerites or other barbarian horde was real enough to consider this. We all did see what they could do to prisoners.

1 hour ago, Billy Ringo said:

If Ukraine was basically left to it's on devices, would this war turn into a stalemate?

Good question. It might already be a stalemate. But no, the UA will needs NATO help for the foreseeable future. They can't replace the munitions at the burn this war requires.  

Although i have no time to play CM anymore with 2nd kid on its way and a fulltime++ job, i still like to come here sometimes for info on how the Ukraine war is going. It's often more recent and detailed than CNN/BBC, including better analysis and discussion lol. You guys should launch a news platform.

59 minutes ago, agusto said:

Although i have no time to play CM anymore with 2nd kid on its way and a fulltime++ job, i still like to come here sometimes for info on how the Ukraine war is going. It's often more recent and detailed than CNN/BBC, including better analysis and discussion lol. You guys should launch a news platform.

There is even some discussion about making a game, but it is all rumors so far. 🙃

Edited by dan/california

4 minutes ago, paxromana said:

Yep, Aussie Officer ranks command different levels than US Officers ... a Regiment (Battalion) is commanded by a Lt (Leftenant) Colonel rather than a Colonel as I understand is US practise.

A U.S.M.C. Battalion and Air Wing Squadron are commanded by a Lt. Col. A U.S.M.C. Regiment and Marine Air Group (MAG) are commanded by a full Col, which is equivalent to a Navy Captain.

5 minutes ago, Artkin said:

I think his initial thoughts were the same as mine. It appears that the young woman is wearing makeup. Her complexion looks unnatural. I could be wrong. 

Let me clear this up. My thought was the old spy movies where the spy uses their looks to disarm and kill the enemy. Hey, US air crews had famous paintings on B-17s. Good for moral. Probably the same as the video in question.