How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

14 minutes ago, amadeupname said:

So I guess the work on every CM title has just stopped so we can pretend we're defense analysts now? 

I have read everything in this thread from one crackhead schizoposting about crisis actors and ancient alien bullsh*t to several of you speculating about the possible deployments of WMD's and other such nonsense. 

Can we please get back to creating more content for the game? 

Please take this to a different thread to discuss, it is just disruptive here and there is a discussion with more info elsewhere.  Just a week ago Elvis posted an update.

3 minutes ago, FancyCat said:

According to this article, Operation Mars was intended as a false flag: https://www.rbth.com/history/332003-most-successful-soviet-intelligence-operation

Looks like future access to Soviet archives in Russia is gone again.... 

Read this. It is worth it:

"Mars cost the Soviets an estimated 335,000 dead, missing, and wounded men and over 1,600 tanks. But in Russian history books, it was a battle that never happened—a historical debacle sacrificed to Stalin's postwar censorship."

Amazon.com: Zhukov's Greatest Defeat: The Red Army's Epic Disaster in Operation Mars, 1942 (Modern War Studies): 9780700614172: Glantz, David M.: Bücher

411iczhXQ-L.jpg

10 minutes ago, Elmar Bijlsma said:

For over two decades, Steve has found time to mix it up with us grognards. Far from taking away from development, I think it only improves the end product.

Who do you want to make your wargames for you: someone that watches CNN and thinks himself up to date, or someone voraciously doomscrolling and discussing events here?

F&R would disagree with you. Everyone went silent for the most part ever since this war broke out, call me a troll all you want, at the end of the day we're here to play a game and I'm concerned about the future of my favorite game series.

25 minutes ago, amadeupname said:

you speculating about the possible deployments of WMD's and other such nonsense. 

A country devastated, dead people in the tens of thousands and all you think about is to play a game? 
Are you serious?

7 minutes ago, Desertor said:

A country devastated, dead people in the tens of thousands and all you think about is to play a game? 
Are you serious?

Erm, where have you been for the past 20 or so odd years? Have you seen Iraq and Syria? Congo? Mali? This isn't anything new. And last I checked This is a forum about a game.

43 minutes ago, amadeupname said:

So I guess the work on every CM title has just stopped so we can pretend we're defense analysts now? 

I have read everything in this thread from one crackhead schizoposting about crisis actors and ancient alien bullsh*t to several of you speculating about the possible deployments of WMD's and other such nonsense. 

There is a World War going on at the moment, some of us find this more interesting to discuss than the actual game. It's history in front of our eyes and we try to decode it with our, truth is, limited knowledge. For the developers I'm sure they are studying and absorbing all the insane amount of info that will make the game engine even more realistic in the future. 

I also personally don't feel like playing the game right now, when we have seen so much grim real world footage...

Edited by panzermartin

1 minute ago, panzermartin said:

There is a World War going on at the moment, some of us find this more captivating to discuss than the actual game. It's history in front of our eyes and we try to decode it with our, truth is, limited knowledge. For the developers I'm sure they are studying and absorbing all the insane amount of info that will make the game engine even more realistic in the future. 

I also personally don't feel like playing the game right now, when we have seen so much grim real world footage...

I can only speak for myself here but I registered on this forum because the way this war is covered in this topic is better than any other place I have seen on the internet or on mainstream media for that matter.

I have never played a CM game in my life but I will definitely be getting into the series in the future now that I see how passionate people in this community are about letting people understand the realities of warfare.

In the mean time I wish the Armed Forces of Ukraine all the luck in the world!

4 minutes ago, Harmon Rabb said:

I can only speak for myself here but I registered on this forum because the way this war is covered in this topic is better than any other place I have seen on the internet or on mainstream media for that matter.

I have never played a CM game in my life but I will definitely be getting into the series in the future now that I see how passionate people in this community are about letting people understand the realities of warfare.

In the mean time I wish the Armed Forces of Ukraine all the luck in the world!

Welcome and you are in for a treat when you do finally get into the games.  They are superb and unique and there is nothing else like them!  I've been playing them for 20 years and have never grown tired of them in any iteration.  That's value for dollar spent if I must say so myself.

And as you see, there is nothing else like our little community here either.  

And same goes for you @Huba!

Edited by Phantom Captain

Just now, Kinophile said:

Tsk tsk, Game, singular. CMBS FTW!

Fight me, WW2 dweebs.

(On a different thread of course...)

Hey now!!  I have expressed many times and in various places here my preference by far for all the modern titles!  CMBS FTW, yesss!  However, all this real world nastiness has had me spending more time back in the mid 20th century for a change of pace!

1 hour ago, Haiduk said:

@sburke @Kinophile

+2

Mayor Alexey Martiushev. Killed 30 of March. No other information. Lived in Transbaikal region, maybe served in one of units of Eastern military district

Lt.colonel Denis Mezuyev, commander of 1st Guard motor-rifle regiment of 2nd Guard "Tamanskaya" MRD. News from 13th of April, but he can be killed earlier. 

Work has distracted me but Ill add these and others this evening.

Plus the Moskva!

1 hour ago, amadeupname said:

You know what they say about assuming, right?

There are military, ex-military, and importantly, residents of Ukraine posting here. I for one, have learned a lot, with the minimum (sure there is some) of extraneous weirdness. I confess I must have missed the part about ancient aliens.

Dave

2 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

I'm sure this is a problem.  However, eons ago (last week?) there was a video posted of a Stugna-P operating holding out for a better target because the missiles were so expensive.  They spotted something juicier (Buk IIRC) and fired at it.  Then some numbnuts started to break down the tripod after launch but before the missile reached the target.  I don't speak Ukrainian, but I could understand the gunner was just a little bit upset by this.  So they fired a second one and that did the trick.

Steve

I think it was a Buratino. Regardless, I think that most soldiers understand that the weapons they get are not infinite in numbers and that they'd rather have a NLAW on them when a Russian tank is driving toward them than to use it to film a video for TikTok. Stugna-P video also shows that Ukraine seems to have dedicated ATGM crews that have the best equipment and that those soldiers are quite professional in choosing their target. 

Hopefully Moskva news is true. I'd love to see a big loss like that. If the strike happened it means that Ukraine is starting to feel confident about their defense of Odesa. My theory was that Ukraine held back the Neptunes (kept them hidden) in order to make amphibious landing incredibly risky. Could be the reason why Russia navy did not do their "thunder run to Kyiv" by landing in Odesa early in the war. Will be fascinating to hear more about this when info becomes available.

From today's ISW report:

Russian forces continue to deploy damaged and ad-hoc units to Donbas.[9] The Kremlin introduced a ”yellow level of threat” in Russian regions bordering Ukrainian from April 13-26, likely to organize the redeployment of personnel and equipment to eastern Ukraine by imposing restrictions on civilian movement.[10] The Ukrainian General Staff reported Russia has formed five understrength Motorized Rifle regiments (the 103rd, 109th, 113th, 125th, and 127th) from forcibly mobilized personnel in Donetsk and Luhansk.[11] The Ukrainian General Staff stated these regiments are composed of up to five ”battalions” of 300 personnel each, and that only 5-10 percent of recruits have any combat experience.

That is up to 7500 forcibly conscripted former Ukrainians that will be added to the butcher's bill when committed. Going to be brutal. Or best case scenario would be 7500 newly armed conscripts refusing to fight or mutiny. Probably wishful thinking though.

10 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

You know what they say about assuming, right?

There are military, ex-military, and importantly, residents of Ukraine posting here. I for one, have learned a lot, with the minimum (sure there is some) of extraneous weirdness. I confess I must have missed the part about ancient aliens.

Dave

I’ll fess up…the ancient alien part was probably me. I was referring to the anti drone tech reportedly carried on the ship that was being tracked by strange object's-something that is quite common and NOTAMs have been posted about.

and said if anti drone tech is light enough for a human to carry then it’s easy to mount anti drone tech on a tank…

4 minutes ago, Saberwander said:

I think it was a Buratino. Regardless, I think that most soldiers understand that the weapons they get are not infinite in numbers and that they'd rather have a NLAW on them when a Russian tank is driving toward them than to use it to film a video for TikTok. Stugna-P video also shows that Ukraine seems to have dedicated ATGM crews that have the best equipment and that those soldiers are quite professional in choosing their target. 

Hopefully Moskva news is true. I'd love to see a big loss like that. If the strike happened it means that Ukraine is starting to feel confident about their defense of Odesa. My theory was that Ukraine held back the Neptunes (kept them hidden) in order to make amphibious landing incredibly risky. Could be the reason why Russia navy did not do their "thunder run to Kyiv" by landing in Odesa early in the war. Will be fascinating to hear more about this when info becomes available.

I had to look up the Neptunes after seeing the article. They way out range the Harpoons so I was scratching my head as to why they hadn't used them already but what you say makes sense. Now that there is no fear of a credible amphibious landing (sunk and damaged transports, offloaded combat units, etc) the UA can spend some to hurt the naval assets. Also knowing that the Harpoons or whatever ASM system is coming to backfill lets them commit what they have knowing the other assets will replace the used capability. 

1 minute ago, sross112 said:

I had to look up the Neptunes after seeing the article. They way out range the Harpoons so I was scratching my head as to why they hadn't used them already but what you say makes sense. Now that there is no fear of a credible amphibious landing (sunk and damaged transports, offloaded combat units, etc) the UA can spend some to hurt the naval assets. Also knowing that the Harpoons or whatever ASM system is coming to backfill lets them commit what they have knowing the other assets will replace the used capability. 

Honestly that's just my layman theory. I have no knowledge how many launchers were available at the start of the war and whether they have been destroyed. I've seen mentions that they were not ready.

But, the fact that Russian navy never really got close to the shore at Odesa does point to Russian Navy at least being cautious about potential of them being operational.