How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

Civil voluntreer Roman Donik about UKR troops control in Kharkiv:

A charecteristic feature of frontline city. It's doedn't matter who is in what structure [means Army, National Guard, SBU, TD, volunteers etc]. Everyone doesn't give a damn who is in what uniform/civil clothes that it's already embarassing. Everithing is coordinated by HQ to which no one has anything to do, no one knows who is there, but headquarter of defense works like a clockwork. The fu..k knows how it turns out. It all depends on the situation and from desired caliber and weapon for task. Then you start to ask who from what structure. Well, of course Armed Forces are rule - because of except 152 mm and MLRS they have an artillery of senior chief [means artillery/MLRS of Operative Command level] and Bayraktars. And the orcs still can't uncover our OOBs. Dig deeper, fools. At the depth of 2m everythins is for you 

Edited by Haiduk

12 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

When it all started something felt really "off" about the warnings.  A friend, who is still in Kiev now, and I started talking about it in detail.  We initially thought that the US intel was buying into deliberate misinformation from the Kremlin since it is normal for the Kremlin to try and mislead foreign intel from what it really is doing.  Part of the reason for us being skeptical was because we saw absolutely no chance of Russia gaining from a full scale war.  Upping the ante in Donbas?  Yes, but not a full invasion.

As the US intel releases got more specific and seemed more inline with verifiable facts it seemed more and more likely that some form of military adventure was in the works.  Again, we figured it was just a more aggressive move in Donbas.  And again, because a full invasion was likely suicide for Putin's regime.

Then a few days before the war a couple of subtle things happened and both of us thought "oh crap, Putin might really be planning a full scale war".  We double checked ourselves and felt that our assessment of Russia's chances of success were still zero, and so we hoped that Putin would decide at the last minute to go with something less than full invasion.

And then a few days later... nope :(

Steve

Another part that I think has been a big blow to Putin's plan by the intel community is the outing of the false flag operations. It pretty much scrubbed out a lot of the propaganda they would have hung their hats on and I think it was aimed primarily at lessening resolve and support from the NATO/EU countries. Exposure might have been a big reason Belarus wasn't drug in early as well. I know there are a lot of other factors involved but I do think that pointing out the false flag ops before they kicked off was way better than trying to disprove them afterwards.

15 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Then a few days before the war a couple of subtle things happened and both of us thought "oh crap, Putin might really be planning a full scale war".  We double checked ourselves and felt that our assessment of Russia's chances of success were still zero, and so we hoped that Putin would decide at the last minute to go with something less than full invasion.

And then a few days later... nope :(

Steve

Couldn't tell you how many conversations I had just before it all kicked off with DC folks who said "But it makes *zero* rational sense for Putin to do it!". My particular bias was to look at the capabilities he was stacking up that were way beyond what was needed for pressure but would be required for compellence. This time, unfortunately my bias turned out to be right. Your "reasonable" analysis had a lot of company.

6 minutes ago, DesertFox said:

Looks like they are scraping together everything they have...

Looks like they need additional fuel tankers for some reason. Can't think why they might've suffered losses in that department...

At least the tyres on those vehicles will get a good test before they have to attempt Ukrainian mud... That, or some new tyres fitted somewhere on the road between Azerbaijan and Ukraine.

12 minutes ago, womble said:

Looks like they need additional fuel tankers for some reason. Can't think why they might've suffered losses in that department...

At least the tyres on those vehicles will get a good test before they have to attempt Ukrainian mud... That, or some new tyres fitted somewhere on the road between Azerbaijan and Ukraine.

hope the plan wasn't to move them by ship.  I hear the dock there is still occupied.

2 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

Has anyone been factoring in the feelings and attitudes of the indigenous Formosians? Perhaps the anger and resentment from Chang Kai Shek “appropriating their island has diminished since they were invaded and displaced by the Nationalists, but they definitely weren’t happy about it at the time. I have also read that the Formosans are still being treated as second class citizens. I might be hand probably are) wrong about that, but it is something to consider.

The thing about Taiwan that doesn't get enough press is that they actually have a very strong and reciprocated affinity for the Japanese. It is literally the only place in Asia they treated decently from 1895 to 1945. There was a plan to incorporate them fully into the home Islands. This gives the Japanese more motivation to help defend Taiwan than is commonly assumed. Then the Nationalist Chinese treated them very badly for a few years until they had to reverse course move in rather hurriedly. There is still a fairly distinct division between Nationalists refugees from the mainland, and native Taiwanese. But real democracy has rebalanced a lot of things because there are a LOT of native Taiwanese.

The biggest factor in Taiwanese politics in the last ten years is that the Chinese wasted decades of trying to appear benevolent when they absolutely crushed freedoms in Hong Kong. Now nobody on Taiwan except a few bought a paid for shills believes anything China says. They know letting the Chinese in means Gulag in the tropics. What they haven't done is reorganize their military to reflect the last twenty years of lessons learned. We will know they are serious when they start hiring Ukrainian advisors.

2 hours ago, Artkin said:

Oh yes, that's what I'm talkin about B)

They're in Cold War!! 😁

I'm positive the module was all ready to go and be released in March but we know what screwed that all up.

Whaddya say @Battlefront.com, just go on and release it.  We all totally realize now that our beloved CMBS is just a fantasy game now!  🤣

Edited by Phantom Captain

19 minutes ago, Phantom Captain said:

They're in Cold War!! 😁

I'm positive the module was all ready to go and be released in March but we know what screwed that all up.

Whaddya say @Battlefront.com, just go on and release it.  We all totally realize now that our beloved CMBS is just a fantasy game now!  🤣

No modules for CMCW or CMBS anytime soon :(

And I was referring to T80U specifically. The one with the upgraded turret armor :)

1 hour ago, billbindc said:

Couldn't tell you how many conversations I had just before it all kicked off with DC folks who said "But it makes *zero* rational sense for Putin to do it!". My particular bias was to look at the capabilities he was stacking up that were way beyond what was needed for pressure but would be required for compellence. This time, unfortunately my bias turned out to be right. Your "reasonable" analysis had a lot of company.

A subtle difference, perhaps, is that my friend and I didn't dismiss the possibility of a full invasion as many did.  We just didn't see any evidence to suggest that Putin had gone senile so quickly :D

Another point you raised is that the forces arrayed around Ukraine were in excess of what was needed for intimidation.  I do not agree.  If his plan was to engage Ukrainian ground forces in the Donbas area he would need a credible invasion force to keep reserves pinned down along the regular border.  Anything less than that would allow Ukraine too much freedom of action to reinforce their side of the Donbas line.  Couple this with our assessment that the forces Russia amassed were about 50% of what would be needed to take over eastern Ukraine.

This is why for a couple of weeks before the war we weren't thinking full invasion but were thinking limited invasion.  The facts on the ground supported it, the playbook supported it, and lastly it was within Putin's usual calculus for big events.  Especially because a limited attack had multiple alternatives if things didn't go well, whereas the full invasion had none.

Sooo... this is saying that we put ourselves inside of Putin 2014 head and came up with limited attack.  It was only a few days before the war that we suspected that Putin 2014 was no longer in charge.

Steve