German mortar halftracks

Sven

Can you say which scenario and I'll give it a try?

I note that we are in the Red Thunder section, but I knew that the KG Peiper campign in Final Blitzkrieg has Sdkfz 251/2s so I loaded that up (as I was struggling to find them in the RT editor).  I can fire directly with the mounted mortar (using Target for example) and I can use a nearby HQ to request it to fire, so your behaviour sounds unusual.  Have you dismounted and re-mounted as I've read that this can cause problems?

Edited by Vacilllator

@Redwolf@Vacilllator

OK, so there has to be a mortar team inside the HT? Not just any team like the machine guns?

I dismounted the mortars since I didn't realise it was a special kind of halftrack. Seems like a mistake now, but I'll try remounting as soon as I can. (I play PBEM).

It's the Studienka scenario. they don't arrive until quite late, I'm afraid.

Thank you both.

32 minutes ago, Sven said:

@Redwolf@Vacilllator

OK, so there has to be a mortar team inside the HT? Not just any team like the machine guns?

I dismounted the mortars since I didn't realise it was a special kind of halftrack. Seems like a mistake now, but I'll try remounting as soon as I can. (I play PBEM).

It's the Studienka scenario. they don't arrive until quite late, I'm afraid.

Thank you both.

Aye you need the mortars on the tracks to fire em from the tracks. If that makes sense. To fire the mortars from the tracks, once they remounted, select the actual mortar team on-board the track and plot a mission like that. Alternatively you can use em as on call in-direct fire. You’ll find platoon and company leaders and FOOs can call them in as in-direct fire support. 

14 minutes ago, George MC said:

Aye you need the mortars on the tracks to fire em from the tracks. If that makes sense. To fire the mortars from the tracks, once they remounted, select the actual mortar team on-board the track and plot a mission like that. Alternatively you can use em as on call in-direct fire. You’ll find platoon and company leaders and FOOs can call them in as in-direct fire support. 

OK, thanks.

36 minutes ago, Sven said:

That sounds weird. I've never had them before and I don't quite see the point either, considering how tricky they seem to be to use.

True, the way they are currently implemented really makes them less useful than they could be.

Another example is that you cannot order them to move to a specific location and then open fire from there, like you can do with any other unit. You must first move them to their location, then in the next turn, you can order them to fire.

Edited by Bulletpoint

50 minutes ago, Sven said:

That sounds weird. I've never had them before and I don't quite see the point either, considering how tricky they seem to be to use.

Hhmm not sure I'd say they are tricky to use. Do you mean tactically or with regard game mechanics?

Very mobile in-direct fire support. No set-up time and armoured so can be 'relatively' close to enemy and quickly bring targets under direct fire. They are an integral and flexible part of the armoured panzer grenadiers fire support.

Their ability to fire directly, either over massive ranges or at targets just out of line of sight from anywhere on the map, can be extremely powerful - those are good reasons to have them both mobile and armoured.

That they can also be used to call in fires from an FO is a bonus really - the only advantage they really offer in that mode are the radios in the vehicles, so if that was their only intended use then you may as well not bother and have conventional mortar teams.

One issue I encountered playing CMBN H2H is when I dismounted the German mortars (I forgot they could fire mounted) and then reembarked, they were shows as destroyed when accessing them via the arty tabs.  They could be dismounted and then they worked fine.  But, when again reembarked, they were shown as "destroyed" etc.  Could never re-embark them and have them work.  Have plenty of saved game files.  Mentioned this some months ago but BF didn't pick up on it.

On 2/4/2022 at 10:51 AM, George MC said:

Hhmm not sure I'd say they are tricky to use. Do you mean tactically or with regard game mechanics?

Very mobile in-direct fire support. No set-up time and armoured so can be 'relatively' close to enemy and quickly bring targets under direct fire. They are an integral and flexible part of the armoured panzer grenadiers fire support.

I meant in-game. That's mostly because I've never seen them before, I guess. :)

32 minutes ago, Sven said:

I meant in-game. That's mostly because I've never seen them before, I guess. :)

Ah gotcha. Aye worth getting used to emas they are super useful in-game. Main thing, when mortars mounted is select the team IN the carrier. They are excellent for fast under armour close support to your grenadiers and tanks. Good luck with Studienka :)

22 hours ago, Erwin said:

One issue I encountered playing CMBN H2H is when I dismounted the German mortars (I forgot they could fire mounted) and then reembarked, they were shows as destroyed when accessing them via the arty tabs.  They could be dismounted and then they worked fine.  But, when again reembarked, they were shown as "destroyed" etc.  Could never re-embark them and have them work.  Have plenty of saved game files.  Mentioned this some months ago but BF didn't pick up on it.

HHHmmm....I didn't get that. I just dismounted the mortar. Fired it. Climbed back in and I was able to use both direct and indirect fire. 

M1.pngM2.pngM3.png

I can send savedgame files from my H2H game with Probus.  I repeatedly tried to remount and always got the "destroyed" text.  

Actually as I have to leave town in a few hours, maybe get the savedgame files from Probus.

I'll send you my password in PM.

Edited by Erwin

On 2/4/2022 at 3:52 AM, Bulletpoint said:

The confusing bit here is probably that the graphics show a mortar in the halftrack no matter if the actual mortar team has dismounted or not.

I wonder if something is wrong with your installation or somefink. You can see in the screenshot that I posted that the team is dismounted and there is no graphic of a mortar in the HT

58 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

I wonder if something is wrong with your installation or somefink. You can see in the screenshot that I posted that the team is dismounted and there is no graphic of a mortar in the HT

I just went back and checked it, and you are right - the mortar doesn't visibly stay in the halftrack when dismounting the mortar team.

I could have sworn they did, though, so either you changed it in a patch, I had a glitch at some point, or maybe I'm just imagining things.

I've moved the mortar teams back on board, but I can't use them. Not indirectly, nor directly. What am I doing wrong? I've even waited an entire turn since they embarked.

When I click a spotter it says "not positioned".

Edited by Sven

My view of it is just like that shown by @BFCElvis (except for @Juju's interface, updated by @Ithikial_AU of course, highly recommended but I understand why John doesn't use it).

Just wondering, can you go back a few turns and try it again with the recent intel?  Might not help in the PBEM but perhaps we can all learn something from it.