Add something new please.

15 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

But we all have an editor and need to acquire more skills. Don't depend on a few, they too have the right to enjoy themselves. 

IMO if we had a unified editor, it would be possible to easily do more of the maps youre talking about. A CMCW editor with SF2 buildings and a NATO/BAOR module could easily do the Yom Kippur War, and even big chunks of the '67 war. The only things that would be off would be the lack of WWII Soviet gear and, obviously, uniforms and small arms. But totally doable in the existing editor. If we could have cross module TOEs as well, or even user just defined TOEs, then it should be pretty easy to recreate say a Yom Kippur battle in engine. Most of the building blocks are already there. Theyre just scattered across half a dozen games.

And, I mean, the texturing and graphic design work. Plus the research to go into the TOEs to begin with. None of that is easy too, but details on top of a solid foundation. 

51 minutes ago, BeondTheGrave said:

IMO if we had a unified editor, it would be possible to easily do more of the maps youre talking about.

Easier said than done. Units and triggers are embedded as well. I plan to use the military map maker in future projects.

MilitaryMap - Plan your Mission wish BF had something like that. which would generate an overlay in editor. t

On 12/8/2021 at 5:03 AM, Tomiko said:

Price tag too high - Well. If we take in account that all the games are basically same. A skillful modder would probably make Shock Force 2, Cold war or Black Water out of Combat mission afghanistan. It's very high. 

I'm also very new to the CM franchise and have slightly differing views about both the price and the games being the same.

I own CMSF2 (plus all the DLC's, flavour packs or whatever you want to call them).  I also own a number of the WW2 titles, CMBN, CMFB and CMFI, again with all the add ons.

One thing, which IMHO you are missing in your assessment, is that these add-ons also include additional campaigns, maps and scenarios in addition to their vehicles, regiments and weapons etc.

There's both large and subtle differences to all of the WW2 titles I own and there's simply no comparison with the WW2 titles and SF2.

I'd also spin the "Price tag too high" remark a bit different.  For sure I needed to think hard about dropping my money (I'm on a fixed income these days) on these titles.  However, in the end, for me at least, it came down to "Value" rather than "Price".

I play a lot of games, from many different genres but ultimately I enjoy sims, war, strategy and role play genres and all the better if some overlap each other.

I've spent $$$ on so called AAA titles and had no more than 10 hours in to them before I'm bored and move on.

I've spent $10 on supporting indie dev games in early access over a period of years and I've spent literally hundreds and hundreds of hours on these titles, often getting what amounts to a new game every few months as the dev releases updates.

Then there's the Paradox titles as an example, that are not "cheap" to buy but offer me, as a player, real value in terms of the hours and hours of gameplay that with DLC's add to and alter the games over the course of a decade in many cases.

When I evaluated my expense on my new CM titles that is how I looked at it.  Yes, it was a large outlay in terms of cash, but seriously, I knew I'd eventually have thousands of hours in to those titles over the course of the coming years.

Price? Not for me, it's about long terms value and I'm more than happy with my decision.

On 12/10/2021 at 12:30 AM, StormDog said:

Keeping it simple, I'd like to see

1. A cancel button on the big red button's save email dialog.

Oh yeah that would be graet. I have more than once been caught swearing at the screen after making a mistake.

1. A two way acquire mechanism, so I can correct my mistakes when I take something that my unit can't use.  

Yes!

1. The combine command be a more reliable way to put my teams back together so I can break out a different team, or assault with the full squad after have broken it into teams. Maybe just select the two teams, and issue an assault.

I'm not sure what you mean here exactly. There is a combine squad command that is for regrouping after casualties but it sounds like you mean recombination of teams after splitting. Is that right. I would agree that it would be nice to have a command "unspit" (terrible name but to differentiate it from the current combine command) that would let you directly regroup a split squad that were within 16m of each other. I agree that the current system is okish if you can wait for minutes but is annoying when your guys have **** to do.

1. Command phase improvements. Things like tabbing through the selected unit's way-points, adding and deleting way-points, or selecting a unit and being able to quickly position the camera relative to it.

Thanks for the clarification about moving the camera to way points. Yes, that would be helpful.

1. More flexibility in embarking and debarking my grunts from and back into the vehicle. Wouldn't it be nice to move a vehicle to a waypoint where they wait for the grunts to load up, then move to another location.

I can see that being helpful sometimes. I find the current system is good enough for the vast majority of situations though. I'm not sure the added command load would be worth it.

1. A way to select multiple units (e.g. vehicles), and plot a series of way-points, and all the selected vehicles travel through those way-points. (i.e. absolute movement rather than relative movement)

Nice idea. Shift clicking while plotting way points with multi select. Cool.

In general, I'd like improvements to make the command phase to be less tedious. The easier it is to play the game, the more enjoyable it becomes.

Thumbs up! Great suggestions!

On 12/8/2021 at 4:12 PM, BFCElvis said:

There is an official Discord:
https://discord.com/channels/740556521724706876/740556523134255218

And an unofficial one:

https://discord.com/channels/750359959237034206/799303603029278760

I'm only going to touch on one of the things you mentioned:

Price: We've been around for 22 years. That's a long time in the gaming business. One of the reasons is because we know what we need to do to survive. We are able to anticipate with the number of sales for what we release. And we know how much revenue we need to keep the doors open, feed our families and live "normal" lives. From there it's a matter of maths. "We're gonna sell about X number of units and we need to make Y total dollars. So, Y divided by X will be the selling price."

That said, now that we have a few of the games on Steam the X number is different and the maths change. For instance, we do have sales from time to time now. Such as CMSF2 and Black Sea which are both currently on sale.

Any chance you could generate a permanent standard Discord invite for both? I can't these URLS to work.

In general, I'd like improvements to make the command phase to be less tedious. The easier it is to play the game, the more enjoyable it becomes.

Completely agree. I think this is one of the single biggest things that could be done to improve the experience of playing CM. Allowing the player to do more with less clicks would be a massive improvement. Anything that reduces the administrative burden on the player is good. 

6 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

Completely agree. I think this is one of the single biggest things that could be done to improve the experience of playing CM. Allowing the player to do more with less clicks would be a massive improvement. Anything that reduces the administrative burden on the player is good. 

Streamlining the player workload would be nice but imo two other things would be far more important when it comes to improving CM...

1 Improving the AI.

2 Simplyfying the scenario editor.

10 minutes ago, Glubokii Boy said:

2 Simplyfying the scenario editor.

I definitely agree, though it is important to remember that the vast majority of players do not interact with the scenario editor at all. So if we are talking about improvements that affect the most amount of players, then gameplay improvements are the priority. 

I do think improving the editor (mainly by making it much easier to produce maps a lot faster) would be a massive improvement overall. Maps and their development tend to be the largest bottleneck when it comes to players and custom content. 

11 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

I do think improving the editor (mainly by making it much easier to produce maps a lot faster) would be a massive improvement overall. Maps and their development tend to be the largest bottleneck when it comes to players and custom content. 

External help would be available if maps could be im- and exported via XML or whatever. It is not difficult data to model. Just a known number of tiles with a known set of possible attributes.

Even doing this just for the height of the tiles would be an improvement.

8 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

Agreed !

One thing i have wished for for a long time now is the ability to use templates when making maps...

Such a feature would speed up map creating significantelly...

Being able to import/export/share a whole variaty of different 'map slices' covering different types of terrain features would be very nice !

Being able to import such map slices (templates), rotate them as desired and then possibly  make slight tweaks to them instead of designing such map features from scratch...

17 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

I definitely agree, though it is important to remember that the vast majority of players do not interact with the scenario editor at all. 

That is part of the reason for me wanting an improved scenario editor...It is functional as is but it is not a miracle of user friendlyness currently...A more capable and 'simple' scenario editor might very well bring more scenario designers to the table..