Add something new please.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:03 PM, Tomiko said:

Hello gamers and mainly devs.

• Literally every game is same - That is in my opinion very true. It doesn't mean it'd be bad. But the same issue Combat Mission Afghanistan has, it's also in Combat mission Cold war.
  • The DLC fest. (Mostly Combat Mission Shock Force 2). - For the game where you charge 60€ for a same mechanical features as in every previous game. It's absolutely crazy to charge 20€ for a basically a nation bundle. 

The game series is unique because some elements are designed to feel the same allowing other areas of focus, especially the history, to shine through. An MG42 will always 'feel' the same regardless of the family the game is with but the subtle differences in different formation TOE's, OOB's and terrain in each theatre are allowed to be the focus.

DLC is the wrong phrase for the modules IMO. I've always described them as 'old fashioned' expansion packs similar to the norm with older games before the internet was as prevalent.

3 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

I wouldn't know where to begin putting a percentage on it but it is amazing the work these guys put into the TO&E. An unsung hero in that is @akd.

I've been directly akd's crosshairs only once and he won. He still scares and amazes me with some of the nit-picking detail he finds primary evidence for. I think he has a time machine and hops back and forth between the 1940's and the present. :D 

4 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

Once you see the way different units behave with even small adjustments it blows the mind and makes me thankful that there are people, that know so much about this stuff, on the job. It's that kind of subtly that I think the OP may not have played enough to appreciate yet.

This right here. I think it's hard to see the differences when first learning the game but after a while, you start noticing how much of a difference an extra BAR in an American squad can do for it's firepower or how different each variant of the M60 Patton plays out. 

There is an absolute ton of variety and content in each module. 

Keeping it simple, I'd like to see

1. A cancel button on the big red button's save email dialog.
  2. A two way acquire mechanism, so I can correct my mistakes when I take something that my unit can't use.  
  3. The combine command be a more reliable way to put my teams back together so I can break out a different team, or assault with the full squad after have broken it into teams. Maybe just select the two teams, and issue an assault.
  4. Command phase improvements. Things like tabbing through the selected unit's way-points, adding and deleting way-points, or selecting a unit and being able to quickly position the camera relative to it.
  5. More flexibility in embarking and debarking my grunts from and back into the vehicle. Wouldn't it be nice to move a vehicle to a waypoint where they wait for the grunts to load up, then move to another location.
  6. A way to select multiple units (e.g. vehicles), and plot a series of way-points, and all the selected vehicles travel through those way-points. (i.e. absolute movement rather than relative movement)

In general, I'd like improvements to make the command phase to be less tedious. The easier it is to play the game, the more enjoyable it becomes.

Edited by StormDog

3 minutes ago, StormDog said:

Command phase improvements. Things like tabbing through the selected unit's way-points, adding and deleting way-points, or selecting a unit and being able to quickly position the camera relative to it.

It is all possible more practice on your part is required.

4 minutes ago, StormDog said:

The combine command be a more reliable way to put my teams back together so I can break out a different team, or assault with the full squad after have broken it into teams. Maybe just select the two teams, and issue an assault.

I like to be able to split a squad inside an APC or IFV, outside it is good enough at present as is. Observe what a squad is doing while it is moving. The teams are split up according the terrain. Too much micro management spoils the game. I know because I used to do it. 

Just now, StormDog said:

And, how do you delete are add way-points in the middle of a plotted path?

No need to delete waypoints, you can shift the waypoints to any position you choose, by doing that you can shift the paths too. You end up with a fast flued game. CTR+mouse click positions you anywhere on the map. That includes waypoints. Click Ctr + mouse click on Camera position 4 don't do anything but go to camera position 1 and you find yourself on the exact position. 

I think what most people are waiting for is the NATO module for Cold War, not something new for the existing games.

Personally I would welcome some news about that module. Not asking for a release date, just some insight in which countries will be included and such.

Edited by Aragorn2002

42 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I think what most people are waiting for is the NATO module for Cold War

I don't, hoped for a more historical game. Operation unthinkable: Western Allies vs the Soviet Union (After all WW2 started because of the integrity of Poland. Corridor to Berlin the Soviets invaded West Berlin. The Hungarian uprising, the Prague Spring. They are all credible flashpoints. Sues crisis, Arab Israeli Wars, Vietnam or the Cubans in Southern Africa. Talking about Cuba the Bay of Pigs fiasco. The list goes on. But we all have an editor and need to acquire more skills. Don't depend on a few, they too have the right to enjoy themselves. 

35 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

I don't, hoped for a more historical game. Operation unthinkable: Western Allies vs the Soviet Union (After all WW2 started because of the integrity of Poland. Corridor to Berlin the Soviets invaded West Berlin. The Hungarian uprising, the Prague Spring. They are all credible flashpoints. Sues crisis, Arab Israeli Wars, Vietnam or the Cubans in Southern Africa. Talking about Cuba the Bay of Pigs fiasco. The list goes on. But we all have an editor and need to acquire more skills. Don't depend on a few, they too have the right to enjoy themselves. 

Fully understand all that, but we must remain realistic in what we can expect. For me personally all was well after the release of Fire and Rubble. Everything else is a bonus to me, but I appreciate of course that the Ostfront is not everybody's cup of tea.

Edited by Aragorn2002

2 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Ostfront is not everybody's cup of tea.

You can say that again, it made me play Soviet. I must say it is all very well done. The most realistic of all CM games. SF2 I just don't know too much about it. Plays more like Science Fiction to me. Had another go, fell almost asleep. Will have a go playing Red I think.  

14 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

SF2 I just don't know too much about it. Plays more like Science Fiction to me. Had another go, fell almost asleep. Will have a go playing Red I think.  

SF2 is actually also very good. I especially like the fact that the Dutch forces are included. Some great scenarios, among the most enjoyable I've ever played. But again, each to his own.

6 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I especially like the fact that the Dutch forces are included.

They are also included in F&R but each to his own. There they talk German which I overlook. (Mountains of the Moon) Khrushchev used to call them the Herring with Jaws. Since F&R came out have not touched SF2 much. 

Edited by chuckdyke

9 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Did he? First time I've heard of that.

Yes (Haring met de haaienbek) during the Hungarian uprising. He probably had fond memories when he was a Komisar. By the way we had a Hungarian refugee family living with us. They stayed in the living room. I was only six, I remember playing with their kids how which language? I can't recall.

Edited by chuckdyke

51 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Yes (Haring met de haaienbek) during the Hungarian uprising.

But Hungarians are not Dutch and don't speak Dutch unless they have learned it out of interest or out of a wish to move to or visit the Netherlands. Did you maybe read that expression in a Dutch magazine or newspaper wich told the story about the Hungarian uprising? That would explain the dutch words.

Edited by BornGinger

11 minutes ago, BornGinger said:

Did you maybe read that expression in a Dutch magazine or newspaper wich told the story about the Hungarian uprising?

It was quoted by my father at that time. We still lived in the Netherlands, there were Hungarian refugees coming over. Children always find a way to communicate really fast. A nice family ended up living with us. They must have understood German which was taught at Dutch high schools. 

Edited by chuckdyke

2 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

You can say that again, it made me play Soviet. I must say it is all very well done. The most realistic of all CM games. SF2 I just don't know too much about it. Plays more like Science Fiction to me. Had another go, fell almost asleep. Will have a go playing Red I think.  

SF2 I find the campaigns more fun that a lot of the scenarios. Nothing against the scenarios, just the continuing action of the campaigns is fun. I particularly like the British campaign. There is a real variety of different missions and terrain and quite a challenge. Plus two branches for two different paths to take at one point which will change what the last 4-5 scenarios are completely (downtown Damascus, or south of Damascus). Great stuff. And if you saved in the "choice" scenario at the beginning of it, you can go back and choose the other path. You'll know what I mean when you get there - it's obvious how to do that - different objectives. Great stuff.

Dave

6 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

Nothing against the scenarios,

I liked Der Kunst des Kriege's art of war in other words. At least the Germans don't have the Javelin which I find a spoiler in some ways. No doubt a terrific anti tank weapon every Stryker has one if you play US. I feel marksmanship in the modern titles need to be remodeled particularly the Snipers. Instead of recording misses they shouldn't take the shot. I understand if they need three minutes to take out a target not that they shoot 5 or more misses during that time. Yes I prefer RT&FR next Monday we play H&H again. another thing with Campaigns it is play against the AI only. Regards 

6 hours ago, Marwek77 aka Red Reporter said:

CMBS: UI Icon And Silhouette Mod - this is not working?

Fair question! I put it in as a placeholder, since I'm planning to upload to moddb alongside SF2 UI there, just been busy with work matters over recent weeks so just not quite got round to final content check.

There are some significant changes from the version posted on CMMods4, I think I changed the scale of the small arms to match icons on my SF2 UI for consistency. Added a few missing icons and a menu screen also. It will get posted before Christmas day since a break from work commences on the 17th giving me 2-3 weeks leisure.

Thanks for your interest!    

Edited by The Steppenwulf

17 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

here is a guy worth following on YT.

Hapless, yeah I played against him in his Blood on the Snow video series. Lost. He is very good, and does know his stuff. I have read some of his Basics, but I don't think I read either of the ones you mentioned above. I'll take a look. 

Generally, I am aware of your suggestions, but I don't find them as fluid as you. For me Ctrl-left-click seems to always miss the mark. I use it from on high, but camera 1 seems to always overshoot it.