New Scenario--- "Team Yankee's First Battle"

2 hours ago, Megalon Jones said:

Thanks.  Quick question:  I’m assuming the arty should be called in after the first turn with a 5 minute delay and not during the initial setup phase.  Correct?

Hi...I think I need to make that more clear in the briefing. You should call in the arty during the initial setup. Anything else and Ivan might have too much of a start. 

I have to say, I do like me a "story driven" scenario - certainly makes me care about my pixeltroopen a lot more! 👍

Are these positions supposed to be prepared tank firing positions?

cm4zu5l.png

Not going to lie, they don't work all that well, and I think there is a better way to make what you must've been trying to accomplish:

XkYYEQq.png

xNMbcBI.png

EeEZFeA.png

Here's how it looks like in the editor:

XTdqzA9.png

Hold CTRL when you do a direct elevation set to create those "blue" markers - those produce a "Ditch Lock", a much steeper elevation change.

Normally you'd want a 2-meter high berm for a good hull-down tank trench, but since these are on a significant elevation to the expected enemy, a gentle down-slope away from the berm will allow the tanks to inch front and back to find the perfect hull-down position.

Edited by Roter Stern

6 minutes ago, Roter Stern said:

Hold CTRL when you do a direct elevation set to create those "blue" markers - those produce a "Ditch Lock", a much steeper elevation change.

Oh my god! That works? Is that a new feature? Does it work in other CM games as well

Edited by Dr.Fusselpulli

10 minutes ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

Oh my god! That works?

I mean, I'm not going to be that jerk to throw a "RTFM" at anyone ... but that has been a feature for some time (since Engine 2 or 3?) - see CM Engine Manual v4.00 (page 91) or A Scen Design AAR PDF Book (page 32). 😁

The manuals are really worth the read for anyone making scenarios - some kind soul put a good effort into those works. 👍

Here's what a "Ditch locked" tank position looks like on flat ground:

XYCBJ4v.png

Edited by Roter Stern

3 minutes ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

Looks kinda funny, if a tank rolls up a +4 slope with the "ditch" setting. But yeah, now that you mention it, I think I have read about some ditch option a while ago, but never seen or tried it.

An easy solution to that, which also looks good visually, is to paint that berm with terrain impassible to vehicles (heavy rocks, heavy forest, deep marsh*)

*well, i guess a deep marsh berm doesn't actually look good 😁

1 hour ago, Roter Stern said:

I have to say, I do like me a "story driven" scenario - certainly makes me care about my pixeltroopen a lot more! 👍

Are these positions supposed to be prepared tank firing positions?

cm4zu5l.png

Not going to lie, they don't work all that well, and I think there is a better way to make what you must've been trying to accomplish:

XkYYEQq.png

xNMbcBI.png

EeEZFeA.png

Here's how it looks like in the editor:

XTdqzA9.png

Normally you'd want a 2-meter high berm for a good hull-down tank trench, but since these are on a significant elevation to the expected enemy, a gentle down-slope away from the berm will allow the tanks to inch front and back to find the perfect hull-down position.

I just waited until the advance T72's all came into view, popped smoke and laid into them.  Ivan can't see through the smoke but the M1's can.  That's the game changer.  No loses and total victory.  

55 minutes ago, Megalon Jones said:

I just waited until the advance T72's all came into view, popped smoke and laid into them.  Ivan can't see through the smoke but the M1's can.  That's the game changer.  No loses and total victory.  

Yeah, that does tend to be the result of this one. 

1 hour ago, Roter Stern said:

I mean, I'm not going to be that jerk to throw a "RTFM" at anyone ... but that has been a feature for some time (since Engine 2 or 3?) - see CM Engine Manual v4.00 (page 91) or A Scen Design AAR PDF Book (page 32). 😁

The manuals are really worth the read for anyone making scenarios - some kind soul put a good effort into those works. 👍

Here's what a "Ditch locked" tank position looks like on flat ground:

XYCBJ4v.png

I knew there had to be something like this but I couldn't find it.

9 hours ago, czarejs said:

Yeah, that does tend to be the result of this one. 

You did a good job representing the scene from the novel.  Granted, it's been 35 years since I read it.  I would love to see more from you.  BTW, you might be the first to have a scenario outside the initial release.

1 hour ago, abpetrini65 said:

Hi.  Been a while sense I have played any Combat Mission games.  I forgot where in the game you put the user made battles.

In the scenarios folder - if you're on windows then the pathway will probably be something like this:

C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Cold War\Game Files\Scenarios