Will this rig likely run this game when it's released?

Fatgreta1066

I'm looking at an ASUS laptop with these specs: AMD Ryzen 7 - 12GB Memory - AMD Radeon Vega 10 - 512GB SSD. Does it seem likely that will run this game, or the other CM games? As I understand it, the Vega 10 is integrated graphics, but I'm seeing some things online about using it for gaming that make me think it will likely handle this type of game, and I don't really need anything more graphically intense than this.

Thanks,

Chris

17 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Go to the Battlefront.com website and hunt down a demo for any of their titles and give it a spin. If it can handle a demo it should be able to handle a full game.

Thanks, I don't have the computer yet so I can't do that. It's interesting that I have two current laptops that handled the demo fine, one of the with integrated graphics. The better one runs the full game but needed some tweaks, the other one doesn't stand a chance. But I was surprised that after running the demo is didn't run the full game right off the bat. Still, it's working now. It's the older one that I'm looking to upgrade.

1 hour ago, Fatgreta1066 said:

I'm looking at an ASUS laptop

CMBS runs on my old Macbook Air. I actually have more trouble running is on a laptop with NVidia 1070 - CMBS defaults to iGPU instead of dGPU so the picture is just marginally better than I get from 3 times more expensive hardware.

Kind of apples and oranges because I too use a Mac (13" 2018 MacBook Pro). But one similarity is the integrated graphics. CM runs just fine with Intel integrated graphics, so I wouldn't let integrated graphics scare you off, unless you want a separate GPU for other things. Before this laptop one I had a 2015 MacBook Pro with a lesser integrated graphics and also had no problems.

Dave

@Ultradave
Seems like CMxx was made to run on VERY old rigs (with sole GPUs).. So it's not a scare about integrated graphics - quite the opposite. It's just one won't have the bang for one's investment into expensive two GPU laptop rigs :) CMxx will run just fine it's just the picture will be ugly. By ugly I mean one will have a viewing distance limited to something like 500p-1K meters. After that - one has to camera-roam the map.

Edited by IMHO

I run CM on multiple Mac and Windows computers each with integrated and discrete GPUs, and I’m not the only one. It will use the discrete GPU autonomously in MacOS and with some changes in settings in Windows 10. See my reply to your thread here:

Edited by Bud Backer

On 2/28/2021 at 9:28 AM, Thewood1 said:

Last time I ran CM on Intel integrated graphics, I still had the heavy pixilation I have always seen.  I think that was the HD620.  Has that changed?  Last I heard BFC was still recommending not to use it.

The only place I see something like that is the edges of shadows at low sun angles. But when I had a MacBook with a GPU I still had that, so I don't think it had anything to do with the integrated graphics. The models and textures I am able to run on highest settings. My MacBook Pro is 3 years old now, so no longer the latest and greatest.

Dave

This issue has been with CM on Windows with Intel GPUs since CM1.  They have never fixed it and the advice given is don't play it on Intel HD GPUs.  Not saying its BFC's fault.  They claim its poor drivers.  The could very well be correct.  But I suspect its a combination of poor Intel driver development and BFC still working with 15 year old OpenGL libraries.

From 2013 and then 2021

There was also a mention somewhere in the last week by BFC tech support about Intel GPUs still causing unreadable text in windows game installs.  So it appears this has never been fixed and the current recommendation still is to not use Intel GPUs.  I don't think its on the System Requirements page, but its been an open secret for 20 years.

Edited by Thewood1

On 3/6/2021 at 6:34 PM, Thewood1 said:

But I suspect its a combination of poor Intel driver development and BFC still working with 15 year old OpenGL libraries.

Well the problem is it's not Intel that wasted 15 years on land purchases and local community development :) HOI4, ARMA3, TWR2 runs flawlessly - it's just CMBS problem and it shows up only if I run it in a dual GPU configuration :) Have a single GPU - CMBS runs OK if using about half a gig of dedicated VRAM and thus degrading visuals. But for a big rig with 1.2KW power source who cares :) I only started having troubles when I tried to use my 2560x1440 display with my laptop of NV1070 :(

Edited by IMHO

My gigabyte brand laptop has Intel CPU 10th gen i7 but both integrated and RTX 2060 graphics which works fine. But I had the pixellation problem that was fixed by forcing the laptop to use the RTX graphics. I also have 2 SSDs, to make the scenario loads, turns and saves load ASAP but stll not fast enough for me. My buddy has an AMD PC with integrated graphics which still cant fix the pixellation. BTW if I run OBS at the same time as the game, OBS crashes, 'cos of laptop problem OBS has!

Its worth doing all the research you can...on all the potential uses for the gear.

Edited by THH149

On 2/27/2021 at 11:26 PM, Fatgreta1066 said:

I'm looking at an ASUS laptop with these specs: AMD Ryzen 7 - 12GB Memory - AMD Radeon Vega 10 - 512GB SSD. Does it seem likely that will run this game, or the other CM games? As I understand it, the Vega 10 is integrated graphics, but I'm seeing some things online about using it for gaming that make me think it will likely handle this type of game, and I don't really need anything more graphically intense than this.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

From what I have seen CMx2 games are CPU intensive; not really GPU.

So, things which will impact your FPS are map size, unit count, and tree coverage.  The worst case even since CMx1 has been a huge map with maybe 200 units.  But when you see how much trouble it is to give orders to that many units, you may think being capped out at medium scenarios isn't really that painful.  :)

There is an easy in game control which has like 7 steps for quality, but as best I can tell it impacts render distance.  It seems to have the biggest impact on FPS in game.  If you are looking for cool combat visuals, render distance is not going to be a big consideration.

Finally, if things really get desperate for you within game, you can remove trees, just go with stumps, or full foliage.  Stumps can save you if your FPS falls, and also if you cannot find your troops under the canopy while giving orders.

---

The recommendations above to download a demo is excellent.  Try to go for the biggest map, most troops, and most trees you can get.  Also, especially with tree cover, you should see an FPS drop as you zoom out with the camera, but remember most of your play will be more up close and personal ... otherwise, you would have chosen some 2D game with counters.  :)

Over the years (and increasing game engine numbers) CM has  gotten better at handling big maps. I recall way back when the CMBN Holland module first came out it was impossible for me to play on its huge city maps. Now I hardly flinch at it. There is a CM scenario 'sweet spot' where a certain force size and map size will give you an ideal match. Go too far overboard on either of those and its less a game engine issue and more  scenario designer error.

I remember when I was playing CMAK/CMBB.  I was so excited to get a new PC which could handle huge maps.  Until I discovered that it took an hour to plot one turn!

CM unfortunately does not scale well (human wise), since there is facility to delegate command to the AI.  Of course, huge armor is far more playable than huge infantry.

---

Since you are a beta, I think I will mention that the CMx1 feature of being able to click on a command in order to select the associated unit is very much missed in the CMx2 UI.

I think I will mention that the CMx1 feature of being able to click on a command in order to select the associated unit is very much missed in the CMx2 UI.

Click on a command to select a unit? Did you mean a commander? That's always been in CMx2, I use it all the time. and frankly, I've forgotten all about CMx1.

1 hour ago, markshot said:

CM unfortunately does not scale well (human wise), ...

Exactly why I do not understand the fetish with large, larger, huge scenarios.

I'd rather have five small scenarios than one large one (that I will never even load).

Best regards,
Thomm

On 3/6/2021 at 10:51 AM, Thewood1 said:

From 2013 and then 2021

There was also a mention somewhere in the last week by BFC tech support about Intel GPUs still causing unreadable text in windows game installs.  So it appears this has never been fixed and the current recommendation still is to not use Intel GPUs.  I don't think its on the System Requirements page, but its been an open secret for 20 years.

You'll notice that John at the time DID NOT have a Mac when he made that comment about Intel integrated graphics answering a Mac question (I don't think he does yet). And then my answer farther down that thread where I said (as I've said before) there is no problem running CM on a Mac with Intel integrated graphics. I've been doing it for years, with all the graphics settings maxed out. 

I don't know why the difference between PC and Mac and whether integrated graphics work or not, but it's not a problem on a Mac.

Dave