CM Cold War - Beta AAR - NO The_Capt or Bil

Holien

44 minutes ago, LastLeigh said:

It's fascinating how different both players' views are of the situation.

And how both of them think they will kick the other's a$$.  This is a pretty good AAR in my view, just a shame that Bil's and the Capt's threads are getting derailed by protracted and sometimes arcane discussions about weapon performance.

8 hours ago, Combatintman said:

And how both of them think they will kick the other's a$$.  This is a pretty good AAR in my view, just a shame that Bil's and the Capt's threads are getting derailed by protracted and sometimes arcane discussions about weapon performance.

It is their weapons performance that gives them attitude. Bil is wasting a lot of ammo trying to take out some steel beasts from Mother Russia. That's got to be of concern.

Yes I was looking forward to seeing the effect of the Arty but it looks like as ever if nothing is under it when it falls it is not so useful, even if super duper modern stuff...

The use of Helos has me excited to see how effective they might be....

I guess at close range the M60 can one shot kill the Soviet armour so Bil might be at the advantage in a knife fight?

1 hour ago, Holien said:

I guess at close range the M60 can one shot kill the Soviet armour so Bil might be at the advantage in a knife fight?

Don't think so, I think he's shooting APDS so even at close ranges the T-64s are going be tricky to take on frontally. He's got to get flank shots or overwhelm them with a lot of hits. 

I'm intrigued to know whether Bil has yet established quite how large a force Warren has already got across the valley and into cover. I can't recall any comment from him so far that suggests he fully appreciates how large this force is. I wonder what contacts that lead M60 saw before being hit and whether it might change things ?

And the all important question of whether the hit was kill ? 

P

1 hour ago, Pete Wenman said:

I'm intrigued to know whether Bil has yet established quite how large a force Warren has already got across the valley and into cover. I can't recall any comment from him so far that suggests he fully appreciates how large this force is. I wonder what contacts that lead M60 saw before being hit and whether it might change things ?

P

I really have no knowledge of the tank specs, is it possible or likely that it will not have killed him?

The second incoming will help seal the deal if it hits. 

I feel these next few minutes will decide the battle as Bil can not afford to lose too many for no return?

I just feel he is driving into a real @hit storm of pain... (Hope he proves me wrong)

I cannot follow Bils action of movement on those M60's. I thought he knew of the threat in that wood line, but he advanced anyway? Did I miss somefink? LOL. And what of the TC's heads bobbing out? Their eyesight is going to show what else besides an incoming at that distance? And by then...too late.

Is it a big timing blunder on Bil's part of his flanking advance move or what? 

A dilemma of doing an AAR for promotional purposes is you don't have 'do nothing' as an option. You're compelled to provide some fireworks to make it interesting. Ideally you provide the fireworks by blowing up the enemy, if that fails you provide the fireworks by getting blown up, yourself.

1 hour ago, Holien said:

I really have no knowledge of the tank specs, is it possible or likely that it will not have killed him?

The shaped charge is certainly capable of killing the M60, perhaps more so than a kinetic tank round, but is not a guarantee. There is an interesting dynamic in CW that's not really been seen before in the other titles.

ATGMs have a longer flight time (finger bitingly long sometimes) and can often miss, but they generally kill a target when they hit, whereas tank sabot rounds are fast and accurate, but can be shrugged off by some of the tank armour in game and it can take a good number of hits to destroy a MBT.

P

5 hours ago, Pete Wenman said:

P

He didn't seem to care much, as soon as he considered the T64 threat was done, he launched his counterstrike. I would say that those scouts Bil has forward are pretty much seeing everything Warren is doing. Perhaps he has more artillery, and the M60s are just the goats.

6 minutes ago, BletchleyGeek said:

he launched his counterstrike

Well I guess he had to launch it at some point, and am not sure he could have done so much earlier without it being a rush into the unknown, but this does have the potential to be another charge into a valley of death. I think a lot will depend on how many of those three M60's are still alive in about 2 minutes time. If 2 or 3 can shrug of hits, they can do a lot of killing in quick time, but there are lot of barrels pointing at them.  

I have to say this game as a whole is throwing up some magic moments in testing. ATGM kills at over 3500m are something to see  - if they can track the target for long enough

P

I have to say this game as a whole is throwing up some magic moments in testing. ATGM kills at over 3500m are something to see  - if they can track the target for long enough

That's indeed the most distant kill I have heard of in this game.

. I think a lot will depend on how many of those three M60's are still alive in about 2 minutes time. If 2 or 3 can shrug of hits, they can do a lot of killing in quick time, but there are lot of barrels pointing at them.  

Correct me if I am wrong, but Bill is coming down a forward slope with his armour right? That's a precarious battle position.

But Warren seems also to be happy just with detaching a platoon off his main effort to deal with Bill's attack, rather than seeking numeric advantage.

Still eating popcorn, and not updating my probability of success estimates :)

15 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

That's indeed the most distant kill I have heard of in this game.

Just as a teaser then (given that's what these AAR are all about)

277583763_TOW3-6.thumb.jpeg.066b2e65f66e191c8eeb5d13be02717b.jpeg

This is from an in game scenario, so will be available for all to enjoy

15 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Bill is coming down a forward slope with his armour right? That's a precarious battle position.

Yes he is, and there is not much cover on the slope. His only other option would have been down through the wooded area, with the risks inherent with that.

Warren was forced through a bottleneck earlier in the game and now it is Bil's turn.

P

7 hours ago, Pete Wenman said:

This is from an in game scenario, so will be available for all to enjoy

Cheers @Pete Wenman

7 hours ago, Pete Wenman said:

Warren was forced through a bottleneck earlier in the game and now it is Bil's turn.

From Bil's last post it sounds he's getting second thoughts about his maneuver.

I don't think its looking good for Bil. I think that he is simply outclassed by equipment here. The T-64 is a very capable tank (I would argue it is better than all the M60 variants but the A3) and even his BMP-1s are extremely dangerous to an M60. In short, if its not an M60A3, you are operating with an arm and a leg tied behind your back. Add on to this the numerical superiority his opponent has, and it isn't looking good. 

If Bil does not win this developing tank engagement, I think he will be in check. That said, I won't be too quick to count Bil down and out yet. 

We haven't seen Bil's Air or ICM really used yet and that could thin out the Soviets BMP herd a bit.  

Kinda hard to keep track, but I don't think there's that many undamaged T-64s left. He probably needs only a few hits on them to start turning it around, if his tanks live long enough to get them. Some smoke would likely help. 

I'm not really following all this, except for the screenshots, but I'm more and more looking forward to the module with Dutch, British and German units. Will be very interesting to see how the Leopard I and Chieftain stand their ground against the Russians.

Edited by Aragorn2002

Well, I think the most recent turn The_Capt posted was a bit anticlimactic. Bil is certainly still in the fight! I still think this will all come down to a decisive engagement. They have traded blows trying to shape the battlefield, now one of them needs to capitalize on that and deliver the decisive punch.