CM Cold War - Beta AAR - NO The_Capt or Bil

Holien

2 hours ago, Rice said:

Ok maybe Bil has a chance lads. I called it too early. Also, since the cluster munitions' spotted died, does that mean they are completely out of the game? That's going to be a big hit to Bil.

IIRC the artillery will eventually cancel on it's own if it can't contact the spotter. But I think it'll take the artillery a little while to realize no one is answering and then he'll have to call it again (I'd guess he probably has other teams that can spot). But probably too late with how quickly things are developing.  

21 minutes ago, Ryujin said:

IIRC the artillery will eventually cancel on it's own if it can't contact the spotter. But I think it'll take the artillery a little while to realize no one is answering and then he'll have to call it again (I'd guess he probably has other teams that can spot). But probably too late with how quickly things are developing.  

All US Scout sections can act as forward observers for artillery, Bill highlighted this in the AAR as an important factor when selecting forces.

Since he hasn't really mentioned that he is relying on further arty fires in the last update, I assume Bil doesn't consider those  to be an important part of his plan any more.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

On 3/23/2021 at 12:12 PM, BletchleyGeek said:

Since he hasn't really mentioned that he is relying on further arty fires in the last update, I assume Bil doesn't consider those  to be an important part of his plan any more.

Wrong assumption! Bil still has some cluster munitions available.

The revolving door game on Warren's right flank is going to get very interesting soon. Also, that infantry screen has done more damage than I thought possible with those Dragon missiles.

So basically, I was worried that Bil was going to push a tank platoon, or more into A0.  This would have been very bad for me, as from that position they can  1) pound the town unmolested and 2) make life for my Teeth miserable as I would have to watch their back and front.  Instead Bil looks like he is taking A1 route, which is really kind of strange but I am sure there is a clever ploy here somewhere.  A1 is semi-covered.  My screen S1 cannot see it until it is right in the town, but S2 will get some clean shots.  I also repositioned both infantry and 2 x T62s to cover this approach.  So basically, I am not sure what Bil is hoping to do with 3 x M60s in closing terrain here.  My next biggest concern is him making a hard push on A2 with that second tank platoon.  I also have infantry and a single T62 in the town on this route but S1 can cover it very well.  A2 has more cover if he uses the wood line but again we are talking almost entirely tanks trying to take a built up area.  

The above from The Capt's own words... (My bolding)

Well he has analysed the dangers to himself very well!!!

Let's see how he can adjust his plan when he sees what Bil has / is doing! Bil has a great eye for  knowing when things are not working and trying to adjust his plan. Excellent game so far and more popcorn ordered.

On 3/22/2021 at 10:36 PM, Rice said:

Ok maybe Bil has a chance lads. I called it too early. Also, since the cluster munitions' spotted died, does that mean they are completely out of the game? That's going to be a big hit to Bil.

Looks like Bil has the Arty back on line fairly quickly, not sure the 6 minute delay will help him as things moving too quickly.

I guess they heard the Arty spotter kick the can....

🙄

Hmmm I wonder if this quote is Bil getting his force into position A0?

Seriously, we are quite a few turns ahead as of writing this and he spends the next ten minute pounding the same  peice of real-estate, that basically has a single squad and MG team trapped in it.

Good update from the Capt but it could be getting worse for him if A0 is occupied by Bil?

Still digging infantry from an Urban area is tough so could still be a draw in games terms?

April is nearly upon us and I looking forward to getting my hair cut and playing this game... (For our American friends we have been in lock down and barbers closed since January?)

3 minutes ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

I lost three out of six of my Dragon Teams.  I just didn’t dwell on it. ;)

Harsh and uncaring are qualities normally associated with Soviets....perhaps you should have shown them more love.

Those M60s can really see well, even when buttoned.  That and that crew comd’s .50 cal makes them nasty.  Good thing they also burn well 😈

My overall impression of the outcome:

I would call this a tactical victory for the Soviets, seeing as they hold the objective and I don't think the local US forces currently opposing them have the strength to drive them back out (I assume that was Bil's assessment when he decided to ceasefire).

But this may be an operational defeat for the Soviets, or perhaps an operational draw (assuming that the operational context is that the Soviets are on the offensive) since the forces present have been so badly mauled as to be rendered combat ineffective. They will have to rotate in a fresh unit in order to resume the offensive, causing a delay and giving NATO time to set up a better defense further back.

Of course the other side of that coin is that the US forces present have also been so badly mauled that NATO should probably consider rotating in a fresh unit to take over the defense of that portion of the line. If the operational context is a NATO offensive than this is just a straight up Soviet victory both tactically and operationally (NATO will have been stopped locally and will need to bring in fresh forces or find somewhere else to strike).

From an attritional standpoint we know the Soviets lost more vehicles thanks to Bil's blood board, although we don't know the personnel losses yet since we haven't seen the end game screen. But the Soviets have more vehicles to lose so I'm not actually sure that either side really came out ahead here attritionaly.