Green Man at a military funeral?

This board serves double duty in discussing modern warfare, with details about Russia and NATO in particular, and seeing unconventional russian military units at funerals is pertinent as it is relatively rare to have soldiers in uniform (official, open) but masked (unofficial, special forces and spies).  It is evidence of how much unofficial or illegal fighting Russia is doing abroad.

On 1/24/2021 at 1:29 AM, John Kettler said:

That's sure the sense I get from this pic. Look at how he's comforting the teary-eyed girl who's wrapped around him.

tumblr_ottlu8bYyD1wtvsydo1_250.jpg

This is not military funeral and not "green man", rather "black man" %) This is seen-off "Azov" fighters to the front on 19th Oct 2014, which took place in Kyiv.

Here some similar photos from that event:

1413788678-1300.jpeg

1413789017-8224.jpeg

Two month before Russian invasion happened, Ilovaisk disaster, heavy Minsk agreements signed, but the war going on... After short-time rest they again go to Mariupol, which still under the threat of next attack - previous was repelled just month ago. Suspence... 

Edited by Haiduk

I made an assumtion it was a Russian photo, my mistake.  I focused instead on whether or not it would be appropriate to show unconventional fighters at military funerals in Russia.  Had it been such, I maintain the same opinion. 

The fact that it is a Ukrainian fighter (that we have learned thanks to Haiduk) gives it a bit of a different slant.  Soldiers in uniform are masked in public if they would be targeted by some hostile group or power, if they are special forces which may also work at home or abroad out of uniform and would not wish to be identified, or if their association and presence at a funeral would give useful intelligence to the enemy.

In this case it is more likely because having soldiers (all or below a certain rank) unmasked could put them in danger, assassinations by Russia have occured in Kyiv if I remember correctly, though I claim no expertise in the matter.

@Sgt.Squarehead your reaction is very strong.  I am sincere in my position, and would not want present a distorted picture of the world. 

Let me be clear though, since you said I am biased.  I am heavily against what I have seen of the Russian system: firstly because it is not democratic (except where it is unimportant and democracy is the most efficient political technology), and cannot be reformed or change peacefully in the long term.  The political pretense that corruption and conservatism are "traditionally Russian" somehow and need to be protected from Western influence and Western ways, etc. etc.  No ideology except some kind of apparent rule of the strong real-politik fetishism.  This extends to my view of Russian actions abroad.  Their interests are not the world's interests, all the more since they no longer claim to be working on behalf of the global working class.

I am not naive about the uni-polar and somewhat cynical nature of US global power.  However, there is no other country I would trust on the planet as world hegemon.  They are sometimes a force for good and sometimes not, but they are democratic, have strong institutions and rule of law, and on balance make the world a better place.  We know what the world is like to live in with the US as the world power.  I don't want to find out what it is like were another country to take that mantle.  Being against the illegal actions of the Russian state is not bias, it should be the default for anyone that believes in the principles of international law, specifically in this case idea that changes to borders must be done peacefully.

Edited by fireship4

6 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Haiduk,

Mnay thanks for the explanation. All I did was copy an uncaptioned Tumblr pic and took a swing (circa 4 AM local time) at what it might be.

By the way on these photos you can see the second stage of Azov uniform evolution. Initially they weared mostly black gears and painted own helmets in black color, naming themeselve "black men" like a counter to "green men". Also part of fighters used civil clothes - during clashes in Mariupol on 9th of May 2014 killed Azov fighter was weared in civil. But already month ago, when battalion became more similar to regular military unit, most of fighters weared german flecktarn camo, which they used during summer campaign 2014 and winter campaign 2015. Since the mid of 2015 Azov mostly change own camo to multicam.

Edited by Haiduk

On 1/25/2021 at 6:23 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Azov eh?  :rolleyes:

Guess that makes this comment just a little bit inappropriate.....Not to mention utterly wrong, politically biased, uninformed & all the rest.  :mellow:

I personally agree the demonizing Russia is nonsense, but I believe it is clear what is happening right now in Donbass... T72B's just dont come outta nowhere. And Ukraine would have quashed any militia alone

9 hours ago, Artkin said:

I believe it is clear what is happening right now in Donbass... T72B's just dont come outta nowhere. And Ukraine would have quashed any militia alone

Valid comment, but let's be honest, Russia was very far from the only external power messing around in Ukrainian poitics.....Many of the US 'Maidan Crew' are now back in office.

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Many of the US 'Maidan Crew' are now back in office.

Oh, yes and more - Blinken, the descendant of migrants from Ukraine, now is a secretary of State Department - "Совпадение? Не думаю" (С) :) 

Though, I'm not so optimicstic, like many in Ukraine. Democrats have started "reboot" policy, which led to growing of Russian ambitions and main ideologist of reboot was Biden. Maybe now he understand own mistake, but who knows... And exactly administration of Obama with Germany and France put pressure in 2014 on Ukraine leaders so that Ukraine wouldn't resist to Crimea occupation. Our planes with paratroopers already were in the air, when operation "Spring shower" was canceled. And further "Maidan crew" rejected to give lethal weapon. About two hundred of old Humvee and dozen counter-battery radars. That's was all. So "pro-Russian" Trump's administration gave for us much more - thousands of night vision devices for infantry, Javelins, Islands and Mark.VI contracts, some technologies of targeting and tracking, that allowed us to create Neptun anti-ship missile. 

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Valid comment, but let's be honest, Russia was very far from the only external power messing around in Ukrainian poitics.....Many of the US 'Maidan Crew' are now back in office.

Messing around sure enough. Geopolitics as usual unfortunately, not only in Ukraine but across the globe. All with the capability are guilty of this behavior. However at least in my perspective there is a difference between messing around with politics vs annexation and direct (para)military action. 

And yes of course the loss of their strawmen in power Janoekovitsj and thus the loss of 'messing power' was probably not only correlative to the annexation of Crimea. But to me it feels a bit like:
'So, Mr. X why did you burn down Mr. Y's kitchen and damaged the rest of his house, beating up his kids? Mr. X: well me and Mr. Z were competing over who can join in for the daily dinner Mr. Y cooks up and it looked like Mr Z. was winning the competition. So I made sure nobody will have dinner  by burning the ktichen and after that Mr. Y's kids became angry (because their kitchen burned and no dinner) so I gave them a couple of punches.'

Do the actions of Mr X become any better by the fact that Mr Z was also competing for the dinner? Is annexing part of a country and vacationing soldiers in another part a fair reaction to losing the geopolitical power game? I don't get it. 

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

smh bro. We are treading water heavy over here