Playing as Brazilians

13 hours ago, SimpleSimon said:

I'll be giving that scenario a swing soon since im really drawn to the Brazilian scenarios more than I thought i'd be. I love the idea of American-style ToEs….but minus the Garand.

But if you don't really use the Garand anyway, why is an american-style OOB without the Garand so interesting? Genuine question, I'm not trying to be annoying here. Just curious.

10 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

But if you don't really use the Garand anyway, why is an american-style OOB without the Garand so interesting? Genuine question, I'm not trying to be annoying here. Just curious.

Browning machine guns, the M2 mortar, the BAR, and the bazooka are all still organic to the formation. Those weapons are the chief tools of an American ToE in reducing an enemy position. 

1 minute ago, SimpleSimon said:
10 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Browning machine guns, the M2 mortar, the BAR, and the bazooka are all still organic to the formation. Those weapons are the chief tools of an American ToE in reducing an enemy position. 

So you mean players rely too much on the firepower of the Garand, and with the Brazilians, they will have to learn to use the support weapons better?

I think they expect too much of the Garand really more than relying too much on it. Don't get me wrong the Garand has its circumstances where its a far superior weapon to a bolt action rifle...I just think those situations are not universal. Some would disagree and their arguments would not be unconvincing. Crucially I think where the Garand shines brightest is in defense, where its high rate of fire can allow even draftees to rapidly punish attackers for even the smallest mistake. 

Edited by SimpleSimon

M1903/M1917 vs M1 effectiveness depends more on the area of operation (AOO) and whether in defense or advance. When you’re in a defensive position with an open 1000 yard field of fire, the bolt actions are going to be more effective than the M1. That’s the type of fire for which they designed. When assaulting or defending in forested areas, urban areas, or other areas with limited ranges, the M1 takes the lead. During those assaults, soldiers and Marines learned to effectively fire from the hip. In those situations, the M1903, M1917, and K98 simply couldn’t match the M1, so that would put the Brazilians more on a par with the Axis infantry. Without a doubt though, the BAR, which was designed in WWI, was overmatched by the MG42 as an organic squad support weapon. The U.S. light MGs were part of the weapons platoon, and were assigned to rifle platoons on an as needed basis, just like the M60 MG during the Vietnam war. 

The U.S. Marine Corp declined to receive the M1 when it was accepted because they wanted the 1000 yard range of the M1903. When the Marines landed on Guadalcanal, they carried M1903s. They fought off attacks by Japanese soldiers who were also using bolt action rifles. Then, shortly after National Guard units landed to take over the AOO, Marines “found” M1s to replace their M1903s that were “lost” in combat. I believe that says more about the effectiveness of the M1 over the M1903 in that type of combat.

I’ve fired the M1903, M1, M-14, and M-16, and would chose an M1903 for long-range sniping, M-14 for fixed defensive positions (because of the 20-round magazine), and the M-16 for limited visibility assaults. Max effective ranges (the range at which a Marine can be expected to inflict a casualty): M1903 -1000 yards (yd), M1-600 yd, M-14 - 460 meters (m), and M-16 - 360 m.

The effectiveness of a weapon is almost entirely dependent on the training of and use by the combatant carrying it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

talking about Brazilians' infantry squad equipment:

One thing I like CMFI most is this title has great potential for Mod.  Besides mod into North Africa, it can be mod to Pacific theater , Chinese civil war, Middle East 48-56, Korea war 50-53.

So a M1903 bolt action rifle + BAR squad can be mod to an early war USMC squad , a Chinese National Army squad and a ROK army squad.

21 hours ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

talking about Brazilians' infantry squad equipment:

One thing I like CMFI most is this title has great potential for Mod.  Besides mod into North Africa, it can be mod to Pacific theater , Chinese civil war, Middle East 48-56, Korea war 50-53.

So a M1903 bolt action rifle + BAR squad can be mod to an early war USMC squad , a Chinese National Army squad and a ROK army squad.

If I were to say that very idea is under review & active discussion amongst the H&E team, would you be interested in joining in? 

I'm hoping to use CM:FI for 1950s-60s pseudo-South America.

@MOS:96B2P has plans for mercenary stuff in Africa.

& @37mm is considering WWII SEAC & Pacific theatre mods.

I'd prefer to go the fictional/semi-historical route again rather than attempting to model anything from WWII.....CM players know their TOEs too well for an attempt at a historical game to be convincing (IMHO).

PS - CM WWI was also briefly discussed.....Very, very tempted by that!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 12/7/2019 at 12:34 AM, Freyberg said:

Bolt action rifles have their own window of effectiveness - you just have to be more cautious, take your time and stay at slightly longer range where they still have good accuracy. It changes the feel of the game significantly.

I noticed this while testing 'Winter of Disconent' for CM:A.....Lee Enfield equipped Tribals firing from buildings were wreaking boody murder on any units that ran straight towards them in the open, at some surprisingly long ranges (fairly sure they played big part in picking off my DShK & SPG-9 crews too). 

Return fire from my largely AK-47 equipped Mujahideen was hopelessly inefectual.....So I brought up a tank!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I just have to say the first thing that crossed my mind when reading the title of this post was: "I bet the Brazilians can give the Axis a good waxing"...

That and the German HQ must have thought their troops had decimated the enemy forces when the HQ's received a garbled radio message that they had "engaged and killed a few brazilian of the enemy". 😀

3 hours ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

Count me in please, that would be a great honor

Just ideas at the moment, but if we proceed with anything tangible for CM:FI you will be among the first to hear.....Count on it!   ;)

I was underway with something but I had my, to date single, fatal file issue.....The map crashed and the saved file refused to reload.  But it was 4km on a side with a mountain range running through it, so perhaps I was being a little over-ambitious.  :unsure: