Needed a little side track from the RT portraits so I started some preliminary tests for SF2. Figured I'd begin with something cool looking that I could design the rest of the mod around. Not bad for a first run. I only had to redo the guy twice. Made him too small the first time.

ffRlWa7.jpg

I pulled the pouches up higher (second row pics) so they'd show more in the pic. I am not positive, but one of these may be a keeper with a tad more refining. Maybe lighten the head up just a bit more. It's hard to tell after staring at a screen for a couple hours.

This oughta get you jazzed for the release (like you guys need any help)! I know of at least one dude that is gonna be happy I started this.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

These look fantastic!

If I may provide some constructive criticism, I think the black balaclava on the heads with the black (presumably ISIS) flag as a background could use a little tweaking. As it is, the flag and balaclava blend a bit too much to my eye. 

Still though, these are really good. Another reason to be excited for SF2, as if there weren't enough already!

51 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

These look fantastic!

If I may provide some constructive criticism, I think the black balaclava on the heads with the black (presumably ISIS) flag as a background could use a little tweaking. As it is, the flag and balaclava blend a bit too much to my eye. 

Still though, these are really good. Another reason to be excited for SF2, as if there weren't enough already!

Nope - the flag looks like the Shahada, more here about Jihadist flags:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Standard

12 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

No worries. I rarely leave anything alone for long. He will be worked on. LOL. Probably twenty times.

11 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Nope - the flag looks like the Shahada, more here about Jihadist flags

Yep. I went with as generic a insurgent flag as I could find because I didn't want anything specific. I figured this was used by enough different subsets that it would fit well into the timeline without identifying any one particular group.

10 hours ago, boche said:

Just an idea, any chance of changing the colour of the Uncon bandana? Instead of being fighter black? Or are these the portraits just for the fighters? 

There will be portraits for Fighters, Combatants and Spies, so yeah, there'll be a guy with a different colored head wrap. But the one thing you guy's should learn from dealing with my previews is that even though I may say something is a "keeper" I am a notorious liar. LOL. This dude could possibly be long gone by the time this mod is finished. But so far, I like him. Hopefully after he is tweaked I'll like him still!

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

Same though here.  Maybe highlight/give shadows to give a more 3D looking image to separate the hood from the flag?

I am gonna try lightening the flag some more, there's already shadow so we'll see what that does. Black on black is a PIA.

Mord.

Ok lightened up the Jihadi flag background a bit. Added a couple styles of Combatant and a Spy. Again all preliminary right now, but pretty damned good looking I think, for first shot attempts. There's a particular detail I added, see if any of you guys pick up on it.

8G7QFNF.jpg

I am really digging the spy.

Mord.

5 minutes ago, Mord said:

Ok lightened up the Jihadi flag background a bit. Added a couple styles of Combatant and a Spy. Again all preliminary right now, but pretty damned good looking I think, for first shot attempts. There's a particular detail I added, see if any of you guys pick up on it.

8G7QFNF.jpg

I am really digging the spy.

Mord.

+1   Very cool!!  Although I don't want to get attached to any because I know you'll probably change them all 20 more times :D

The fighter dude in the top row has writing on his headgear?  

3 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

The fighter dude in the top row has writing on his headgear?  

BINGO! Nice! First guess..good eye my man!

EDITED: I am pretty confident the Spy will be around for a while.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Those look good Mord. My only constructive criticism from someone who understands visual composition and eye flow movement directing is to have the portraits facing the other way In toward the panel instead of out since they are on the end of the panel. This creates a visual comfort in directing the eye in toward the panel to start the flow left to right where you want it rather than pointing out of the panel. Very easy to do just flip them horizontally.

27 minutes ago, Vinnart said:

Those look good Mord. My only constructive criticism from someone who understands visual composition and eye flow movement directing is to have the portraits facing the other way In toward the panel instead of out since they are on the end of the panel. This creates a visual comfort in directing the eye in toward the panel to start the flow left to right where you want it rather than pointing out of the panel. Very easy to do just flip them horizontally.

We had this discussion awhile back I believe. I understand where you are coming from and what you are saying but visually it just doesn't appeal to me. It's something with how my brain works.  When I flip them they don't look right in my head. I can't design that way. The weird thing is, it should be second nature. I mean, I read from left to right so you'd think it would be a no-brainer. But it feels mentally how trying to throw a ball with my left hand feels physically. That's the best way I can describe it.

Mord.

+1.  Altho the writing will be backwards and will say something like "Paul is dead" or somesuch.

Seriously tho' I cannot say that the black hood against the flag has improved.  Either the hood graphics need to be crisper (if possible) or maybe make the hood more dark gray than black and then give it a dark black outline like women's mascara to pop it out from the flag.  Or vice versa... make the flag lighter than the hood (since it's in the BG).

I'll try again, but it's gonna get to the point of diminishing returns. At some juncture something is going to cease to be black. The fighter is already slipping into an artistic interpretation of black. He's not too far from going gray. Someone needs to write the selectman at the International Board of Jihadi Flags and lobby them for a new color scheme if not in banners than in pajamas.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Alright, ya blind b****rds, how's this? I think a big part of the problem was the bright white background influencing the colors. If you can't tell the difference now you need to see your eye doctor.

vUG0bVr.jpg

The original doesn't even look bad with a black background behind it.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

1 hour ago, IICptMillerII said:

In my opinion the latest portrait in the UI looks fantastic. No complaints from me. 

You better have this mod ready for SF2s release 😁

Well I am kind of a hold up.  He's waiting for a list of Unit logos that was the original request that drew him back for the depths of Cthulhu's domain.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:45 PM, IICptMillerII said:

In my opinion the latest portrait in the UI looks fantastic. No complaints from me. 

You better have this mod ready for SF2s release 😁

HA! At BF's rate I just may!

Glad I finally hit the mark, it was becoming frustrating after a few tries. Black on black are hard colors to deal with in such a confined area.

On 8/24/2018 at 10:52 PM, Erwin said:

Good job, and move on.

LOL. I shall!

On 8/24/2018 at 11:08 PM, sburke said:

Well I am kind of a hold up.  He's waiting for a list of Unit logos that was the original request that drew him back for the depths of Cthulhu's domain. 

You were only partially to blame. LOL. But seriously, the true hold up was thinking I was gonna do them in the old style. Without access to the new SF2 models I couldn't even start. Now, if I can find enough good stuff to use I can do all the generics then concentrate on the formations after all the research. That one link you sent me was fine, everything I could need for the most part. The big question is what to use? As for the Army, I have plenty on them, but again. what to use? And these modern formations are a PIA! I like divisions and battalions/regiments much more.

17 hours ago, Fizou said:

Another great looking mod! 

Thanks, Fizou. Here's hoping I can pull it off.

Mord.

42 minutes ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Re "girl's basketball", you can keep your New York Liberty. I'll watch the Aussie netball thanks very much.

maxresdefault.jpg

Mord, brother like you said, everybody's can choose his portraits now, you can take some quiet time and rest a little, didn't know that you have a hidding face in your job...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Now that demo is out time to revisit this.  

I tend to look to Iraq simply because there were a lot more units involved than the theoretical CMSF backstory.  

What I am hoping to do here is ID units and the appropriate Icon so Mord has a starting point.  Any sources of info folks have and pointers about what the icons should be would be really helpful

Wiki OoB for Allied forces. This is just the initial invasion.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_invasion_of_Iraq_order_of_battle

Edited by sburke