Great work! FWIW I think these are coming out extremely well. 

Have you considered working on and releasing them in packs? Instead of doing the entire game and all modules, you could work on one module at a time. Might help to break up the work a bit and give yourself a sense of progress. Just a thought 

52 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

Great work! FWIW I think these are coming out extremely well. 

Have you considered working on and releasing them in packs? Instead of doing the entire game and all modules, you could work on one module at a time. Might help to break up the work a bit and give yourself a sense of progress. Just a thought 

Thanks, man! They are basically done. Just need to fix the Canadian Infantry and Mech Infantry. I am gonna release the whole thing as a beta version because ultimately I want to redo the US Army, Brits and Marines. I was never really happy with the British, and much has been learned since I first designed the US stuff, so I think I can make them look a lot better. But I am gonna move on to the FI mod and only screw with SF2 portraits sporadically. That way you guys will have something to use and I can dick with them minus the stress of needing to "finish" them.

Mord.

8 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

+1.  Very cool.  Nice work.

Thanks! Glad you like them. But these are just a minute drop in the bucket! This mod dwarfs the RT portraits. It's the biggest I have ever made. So, if you like these prepare to s*** bricks!

Mord.

8 hours ago, Erwin said:

Fabulous work, Mord. 

But, am not convinced that putting a lot of work into making the pics look "cohesive" is a desired outcome in any case.  If they all look kinda similar, then they get confused with each other and the image becomes useless for quickly identifying the branch of service (let alone the nationality).  You may be going in an unnecessarily anal-retentive direction.

Perhaps go in the opposite direction, rethink the issue as to what is the point of these portraits.  If easy visual ID is their purpose maybe make the portraits very different from each other so we can more easily tell the branch and/or the nationality?

Rotflmao. If your goal is to give Mord a seizure you are headed in the right direction. There are a ton of hints as to who the portraits represent both nationality and branch when you launch the scenario.  If you think that you are gonna be confused because of the portrait ........

1 hour ago, sburke said:

There are a ton of hints as to who the portraits represent both nationality and branch when you launch the scenario.

The camo gives it away for the most part, though the Dutch and Canadians may be more subtle (but you can see the differences if studied). But the Germans, Brits, Marines and Army are obvious when you see them. NOBODY is gonna confuse them. As for the branch types, there's helmet and headset/black tanker cap for armor, a beret for the airborne, ballistic glasses for mech, and plain faces for infantry in the examples above. The Syrians left to right, Reserve/Militia, Mech, Republican Guard, Combatants. I am at a loss at how any of these look the same.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

On 5/14/2019 at 6:52 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Hmmmm.....On closer inspection that's not a CTS logo.  :unsure:

Who is he please?  :blink:

The answer to your question is sitting on CMMODs.

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/cm-mod-warehouse/combat-mission-shock-force-2/cmsf2-other/shock-force-1-2-unit-portraits-by-mord/

Mord.

P.S. Palestinian Liberation Army

Cool, cheers.  B)

At the moment my install is configured exclusively (and really quite thoroughly) for the orient, but when I return to the middle east, you can be confident your mods will get a full workout (my attitude to mods has taken something of a sea change since the Heaven & Earth project began).  ;)

11 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Cool, cheers.  B)

At the moment my install is configured exclusively (and really quite thoroughly) for the orient, but when I return to the middle east, you can be confident your mods will get a full workout (my attitude to mods has taken something of a sea change since the Heaven & Earth project began).  ;)

Just create another install and stick Mord’s mod in the game folder mod location.  Easy Peasy. 

20 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

but when I return to the middle east, you can be confident your mods will get a full workout

There's a portrait for just about every Arab, Persian, Muslim etc. that has raised a rifle in Syria. Everything from Shi'ites to ISIS and AQ. It's fairly thorough.

Mord.

15 minutes ago, sburke said:

Just create another install and stick Mord’s mod in the game folder mod location.  Easy Peasy. 

I'm reserving my second install for the (imminent) birth of 'Beast III' (my next PC).....I'm going to have the guy who builds it install all the games at the earliest possible stage and then configure the rest of the build to suit (I want to be able to drop two regiments onto your humongous CM:BS map and play that in the background while building an equally big map in another of the games.  Any advice on spec would be very welcome BTW. 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'm reserving my second install for the (imminent) birth of 'Beast III' (my next PC).....I'm going to have the guy who builds it install all the games at the earliest possible stage and then configure the rest of the build to suit (I want to be able to drop two regiments onto your humongous CM:BS map and play that in the background while building an equally big map in another of the games.  Any advice on spec would be very welcome BTW. 

On the same pc there is as far as I know no limit on installs.  I have had several at times of games. Only issue might be disk space. 

5 minutes ago, sburke said:

On the same pc there is as far as I know no limit on installs.  I have had several at times of games.

Sweet.....Cheers.  B)

3 minutes ago, sburke said:

Only issue might be disk space.

Nah!  :D

It's old, but it's still a Beast.  ;)

I've only ever had map-crashes with the old engine or with a 16km2 map (in CM:FI).....I just want to completely rule out the latter now that I seem to be focussed on the newer games.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I just wanted to add my congratulations to Mord. I just downloaded this Leviathan of modding, and am very happy with the improved visuals. When I saw the guy in the coca-cola tee shirt it brought a smile to my face. We have seen some pretty strange stuff on irregulars in battlezones! Personally, if I suddenly found myself in the Peckham Peoples' Militia, I wouldn't be wearing anything red, pink, orange or white just to look stylish in urban combat....ouch!  Or is the theory like dazzle camouflage for ships - the brightness puts off aiming?

• 1 year later...

Ok. Finished these up for @GhostRider3/3.  Bunch of different sizes and locations for the Abrams and the Flatbed. Humvee has one size. Should be enough to make everyone happy. Didn't add them to any green or camo vehicles because I didn't think it would look right or realistic. Kinda like they were shipped over to Syria super fast before they could be converted to the desert colors.

MaKJthY.jpg

LOL. Yeah, the splash screen sucks but I didn't feel like selling it any harder. I hadn't planned on doing this so it's all off the cuff. Still took me 4 hours though! Anyway, hope they do the job.

Mediafire Link until Bootie posts them.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/hivwqlu4q0afkwk/Mord%27s_USMC_Globe_Anchor_%26_Palm_Tree_Mod.zip/file

Mord.