10-4. Not nearly as bad as the Germans in RT. Not even close. Roughly 448 portraits. Ok, it's a little bad. Still that's only half of what the regular German infantry amounted to.

Can you hear me psyching myself up?

Mord.

Lol absolutely. 

Doing a quick count I think you are looking at

US Marines 64  portraits 

US Army maybe 40?

then there are some you might want to do for grins.  

173rd Brigade (this is where it gets interesting .  In CMSF2 you can select Infantry, Heavy infantry MOUT or Stryker MOUT and get various unit configurations  ChrisND used a Stryker MOUT unit for his TF Panther campaign for the 82nd so yeah multiple portraits 😀 )

11th armored cavalry

2nd cavalry (Stryker) and various other cavalry regiments  

I don’t want you to get bored    Bored Mord is a frightful thing  

Yeah, with the Marines it'll be 2 portrait types x 32 battalions x 7 backgrounds. 2 x 32 = 64 x 7 = 448.

Army will be 4 portrait types x 10 div x 6 backgrounds. 4 x 10 = 40 x 6 = 224  Until someone clarifies exactly what divisions etc. should be included.

And when that's all done @Combatintman can come along and brain screw me with the psychotic way the Brits are probably structured. And then comes the Canadians, Germans, Dutch, and possibly Syrians. YabbaDabbaDoo!

Mord.

Edited by Mord

24 minutes ago, sburke said:

Just for fun if you want to see how confusing the unit organization can appear just look at the OoB for the 2003 invasion of Iraq

I don't know how they keep it straight.

Mord.

7 minutes ago, sburke said:

Damn didn’t realize about the multiples for backgrounds .

That's my OCD. I've been doing 6 to 7 backgrounds for the last 8 years, so I have to do it with this one too. Even my original SF portraits (gah!) had 5 styles.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

• 2 months later...

OK. Been quite a while since I posted anything, let alone an update on this mod. I knocked out a Republican Guard portrait this morning (very pleased with him) and figured I'd give you guys a peek into what went into creating him. It's all pretty cut-and-dry and should say all it needs to visually but basically I started with the first pic which I found a few hours ago and used facets of others I have collected over the last year to spiff him up and bring him in line with the rest of the mod (you never know when a pic will come in handy).  It's a constant fight trying to make the faces look uniform and not like they are all from disparate sources. The overall aesthetic isn't perfect but I think they'll do.

wiBfaIA.jpg

As it stands I have made 1173 portraits so far. The Army is done, Marines are done, Brits are done, and I am working on the Syrians. After that comes, the Canadians, Dutch, and Germans. I still need the info on the formations for them. Hopefully they won't be as big as the US and UK. That's it.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

18 minutes ago, Mord said:

As it stands I have made 1173 portraits so far. The Army is done, Marines are done, Brits are done, and I am working on the Syrians.

+1  Just WOW!!!  :o  Thank you for all the work you are putting into this.  Amazing work as always. 

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@Mord.....I'm intrigued by the guy in 'Ninja Garb' with what looks like a CTS logo (2nd from left in right hand group of small images):

Hmmmm.....On closer inspection that's not a CTS logo.  :unsure:

Who is he please?  :blink:

Ninja garb guy is a (foreign) fighter. This pic is from page one when I was designing him.

vUG0bVr.jpg

I'll tell you what his patch represents soon. I don't want to spoil the surprise just yet. But trust me, you of all people will be VERY happy.

Mord.

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Intriguing.  :ph34r:

Ain't it? Trust me, I can't wait to finish this and let you guys have at it. I am getting really excited to release it. Then again, I am on a high as I just finished one gigantic stretch of modding that's lasted four days! Sooooo glad that monotony is finally over! The burn out rate on this mod has been the biggest I have experienced in my 11 years of modding CM2. But it's also been some of the most fun I have had designing. I came up with some really cool stuff these last few days that has me psyched.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

• 2 months later...

Mord is his own worst enemy. He will see the imperfections whether we do or not. You always do when it is your work and you care about it.  -sburke

Ain't that the truth. It amazes me how many times I can go to bed satisfied with something I made and then hate it the next time I see it. But in the end it does make the mod better. I have remade the Dutch 3 times in the last week and they look 100 times better because of it. -Mord

I snipped sburke's quote and my reply from from another thread so I can display just what I was getting at. Here is an example of the evolution of the Dutch over the last week or so. It shows how the portraits can drift in an out of styles as well as losing the over all cohesiveness that can make them look disparate and throw off the design aesthetic.

RRp4O69.jpg

LOL. It's also evidence of how being married to a certain style ultimately can end in divorce, no matter how hard you fight to make it work. It's a frustrating evolution but I find if I stick it out, and experiment, no matter how pissed off it makes me, I'll eventually find a happy medium. I am satisfied with them now and consider them finished.

Mord.

Here's some more examples, all finished in the last four hours or so.

I struggled off and on with the Canadians, especially the Armor portrait. I finally abandoned the old body type and redesigned one tonight. Now, I feel like I nailed it.

Next was the German Armor. I was actually fairly pleased with it for a day or so, but the more I looked at it the more I felt like it was out of proportion and out of place with the other Germans. So, I redesigned it a few hours ago. The second portrait had me feeling closer but was actually worse. Got it after some time experimenting with a painting of a dude's face I found. I think it KILLS!

Lastly is the German Airborne. I felt the face was too plasticy looking and I didn't like the coloring. Messed with it for a bit tonight (also using the painting I found) and the results look a lot better. BTW the original was using a model bust of George C. Scott as Patton.

nzx3QFg.jpg

This is my HELL! LOL. But I think you will agree that me being an anal bastard pays off in the end (pun intended). These pics went from crap, to so-so, to really nice by evaluating and nitpicking them until I hit a sweet spot.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Still have to redo two Canadian portraits and then I am releasing a Beta as I am still not happy with some of the first ones that were completed (mostly US and Brits) but it is time. Here's all the NATO portraits I finalized in the last day plus your first real look at the basic Syrian portraits.

rDbzS9z.jpg

TAKE NOTE of the date of the first post in this thread!

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Fabulous work, Mord. 

But, am not convinced that putting a lot of work into making the pics look "cohesive" is a desired outcome in any case.  If they all look kinda similar, then they get confused with each other and the image becomes useless for quickly identifying the branch of service (let alone the nationality).  You may be going in an unnecessarily anal-retentive direction.

Perhaps go in the opposite direction, rethink the issue as to what is the point of these portraits.  If easy visual ID is their purpose maybe make the portraits very different from each other so we can more easily tell the branch and/or the nationality?

Edited by Erwin

By "cohesive" I mean that they are all designed in the same art style I don't mean clones. Ex: Look at the first Dutch I created. They look cartoony compared to all the other portraits, therefore they don't look like they belong. There's no cohesion in the design aesthetic. The fight is to get them to look like they were all created by the same artist. I am not an artist per se as I don't draw the pics, I manipulate them. Because of that I can end up with varied looks in the art itself. It takes a tremendous amount of effort to keep the design under control.

Mord.