Peek around corners

I do have the upgrade but haven't really had time to play it. I was wondering if this is done in an abstract way or do we visually see a soldier leaning out to peak around a corner and fire if need around it (I know extremely unlikely)? Or is it done visually in a more abstract way...and if so how is it visually shown on screen?

Edit: I'd actually pay for an animation expansion pack which redoes current animations aswell as add loads more..like leaning around corners. I'd pay a decent price aswell..more than a £10 anyway.

Thanks

Edited by Wodin

JC over at his blog kriegsimulation took the time to show case 4.0 for people; including this image showing what you're asking about. Not quite as involved as you were hoping, but visually represented. Patch notes said that the AI will try to get a weapon with the greatest suppressive effect at the corner of the building and it seems to be performing as advertised. I haven't had the chance to test any street fighting yet myself.

CM%2BNormandy%2B2016-12-25%2B15-47-22-03

It not only does what Rinaldi just posted above but you can also be more specific.  For example you have an enemy tank on a street and want to take it out.  You split off an AT team, send them to the side of the building and give a face command towards the vehicle.  They will focus on that corner of the building increasing your odds the guy with the AT weapon will actually get into position for the shot.

The effect is more obvious if the building is rotated 45 degrees (e.g. looking north-south, overhead it would be a diamond shape rather than a square). Normally a squad behind such a building is very far from each of the two corners in front of it (e.g. east and west corner if it is at southern corner hotspot).

Actually, ignore me (talking rubbish as the hotspot is never at a southern corner - must have misremembered that). To cut a long story short, like the other posters said, it is not abstract. You see one guy detach and move to the corner (frequently getting himself shot as a consequence!)

Edited by Cpl Steiner

So, it's not a Fire Team that engages in small arms combat around a corner, but rather an individual with best equipment just peeking the corner for a quickie :-\

That's to bad, as I thought it would make more sense to have a whole Fire Team (or individual Sniper/LMG Team) move back-n-forth from Building Corner (depending on suppression) to engage in small arms (using the building wall corner for cover...like a stone/brick wall). This would give a more realistic feel as most urban combat takes place around corners of Buildings/Walls, Streets, etc), even thou you are partially in the open.  

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

3 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

That's to bad, as I thought it would make more sense to have a whole Fire Team (or individual Sniper/LMG Team) move back-n-forth from Building Corner (depending on suppression) to engage in small arms (using the building wall corner for cover...like a stone/brick wall). This would give a more realistic feel as most urban combat takes place around corners of Buildings/Walls, Streets, etc), even thou you are partially in the open

That would be pointless and probably counter productive. The TacAI prioritizes heavy weapons which are usually the preferred choice over the guy with a Garand.

8 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

There is a cover bonus but don't expect them to survive a massive fusillade.

Never expected them to be invulnerable, but a guy peeking around a corner presents a very small target. So I would assume he would get a decent cover/concealment bonus. Haven't tried out 4.0 so can't say if the level of protection is adequate, just that I would expect peeking troops to get quite good cover values.

25 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Never expected them to be invulnerable, but a guy peeking around a corner presents a very small target.

Keep in mind they are assumed to be doing a little more than taking a peek. They are exposing themselves enough to fire a weapon.

So, are you saying you can only have a 2 man (Sniper, LMG Team) engaging in combat around a corner, but not a Fire Team...Makes more sense to have option for having a 2 man Special Team or a whole Fire Team..."Come On', BF, and make that change. 

Edited by JoMc67

No need for a two man team, I assume the good Cpl means that a squad or team sends one guy to peek, maybe up to two to take pot shots, whatever. Having two would be nice, but I'm thrilled to have the one guy.  Three guys would basically be the max anyway--standing, kneeling, prone--as opposed to a whole team or squad, I'd think. How many times in real life (modern MOUT excepted, maybe?) were 4-8 guys fighting around a corner, anyway?

1 hour ago, mjkerner said:

No need for a two man team, I assume the good Cpl means that a squad or team sends one guy to peek, maybe up to two to take pot shots, whatever. Having two would be nice, but I'm thrilled to have the one guy.  Three guys would basically be the max anyway--standing, kneeling, prone--as opposed to a whole team or squad, I'd think. How many times in real life (modern MOUT excepted, maybe?) were 4-8 guys fighting around a corner, anyway?

Nah, for game engine purposes you simply make it a 2 man Special Teams (LMG, Sniper, etc), or a any type of Fire Team (anything bigger would be to much). 

Oh No...Small Arms fighting from building corners was very common (I venture to say, the most common form of Urban Combat), especially for Attackers or Meeting Engagements or even a Defender having it's reserves Counter-Attacking into a Village/Town.

Thou, I think BF's intention for 'Peeking' is more in a form of getting info, and not for full Small Arms Combat. 

What I really like to see is Building Corners/Walls giving something like a half Action Spot so troops (2-man Special Teams or full size Fire Team) would bunch up at corners to engage in proper Small Arms Combat. 

Edited by JoMc67