3-69 the unit i am actually in as a scout SPEED AND POWER HOOAH

i got this game because i love rts.i got on  and went straight in to the campaign. then i found out the star of the game is 3-69 !!! i was like wwwwwwwhhhhhhaaaatttt!!!  and i as  a scout in hellcats company aka HHC. i find it very personal but the time frame is a little discerning since we leave for Poland!!! so its like im actually playing as my battalion  commander. then u realize how if this does happen its gona suck lol  but when i ever have time in Poland i will be planing and playing this to beat the Russians thanks for the coolest experience ive ever had in a game.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, swannyy43 said:

i got this game because i love rts.i got on  and went straight in to the campaign. then i found out the star of the game is 3-69 !!! i was like wwwwwwwhhhhhhaaaatttt!!!  and i as  a scout in hellcats company aka HHC. i find it very personal but the time frame is a little discerning since we leave for Poland sat and we will be back in june!!! so its like im actually playing as my battalion  commander. then u realize how if this does happen its gona suck lol  but when i ever have time in Poland i will be planing and playing this to beat the Russians thanks for the coolest experience ive ever had in a game.

Apparently Combat Mission Shock Force was used as a US Army training tool. Perhaps the same might be done by your unit to help prepare for training (but hopefully not actual combat) in an Eastern Europe/Baltic/Ukraine environment. As you imply it could be a great tool for platoon, company and task force commanders taking tactical decisions and maybe understanding a little about what is going on a level or two above/below their command slot. For instance a platoon leader can occasionally take a Task Force slot while his task force commander plays a game as a platoon or company CO to be reminded of the problems of his real world subordinates. 

Of course, I am just a real world "civvie" hobbyist war gamer - through which I learn about some of the problems of thereal world military while playing a war game for the fun of it :-) I learn for example hat, if I make stupid decisions, I woul get a lot f real people killed if I were actually in command and fighting a real battle. And sometimes I have done dumb things like rushing a tank company or combined arms team out into the open without anti aircraft cover. A mistake that hopefully a commander either in the real world or in a war game will make no more than once. At least in a computer simulation you can make your mistakes without real world consequences and see something of what the real world results might be.

And hopefully your rookie platoon or company CO (for example) would learn from the mistake he made in the computer simulation and avoid screwing up in combat when the fate of nations as well as the men and women might really depend on the decisions you make.

I agree with you though. If this game is an accurate simulation of reality a modern war between the US and the reformed Russian military could well be a messy and bloody affair. As the WOPR computer concluded in Wargames "Sometimes it is better not to play"

Don't want to sound like a uptight a-hole...but yeah I'm 99% sure this is an OPSEC violation, and I'm just a lowly cadet. Not trying to be a jerk...but if this was like a deployment to Afghanistan or Iraq, then this could have repercussions, and I don't mean from the CoC. 

Edited by Currahee150

On 4/5/2016 at 8:15 PM, swannyy43 said:

Words

And roger on the delete.  Mentioning your unit isn't too out there, but where it's going and what it's doing with dates is a bit far.

In his defense there might have already been a Pentagon level press release that it was his Brigade going to Poland from  x to x however.  Not interested enough to look it up though.

You are exaggerating. The whole point of those mini deployments ( a company per country ), it that they get noticed. As soon as they set foot somewhere, there are pictures of them all over the local press and dozens of facebook fanpages. 

12241178_10154496554738840_3319947950468

Yeah, but if you tell exactly when you are leaving, that's something different. Units stateside don't put out on Facebook "We are departing for Poland at 0400 on Saturday on four Greyhound buses that will take us to Newark. Families can say goodbye in the parking lot." I know OP didn't even come close to the detail, and yeah what he said is pretty harmless, but (I can't believe I'm saying this) there is a point to those briefs they make you sit through. If someone wanted to know when and where he could knock off the better part of the 1-23rd Infantry or something while they are in route to the airport...well, his job is now a whole lot easier. And also, those picture/facebook updates are AFTER the fact. Jihadi John or you local "AMERICAN IMPERIALISTS MUST DIE SO THEY CAN LEAVE GLORIOUS GERMANY ALONE" dude can't go back in time and do anything about that. Posting about future troop movements...well that's a whole other ball game.

Edited by Currahee150

I did edit the timeframe out of there.  As others have said, the OPSEC these days is not what it used to be.  I first heard about it a couple of hours ago from a friend in Ukraine.  The Pentagon also announced this a while back, including unit designations IIRC.  The whole point of this move is to be high profile, so keeping it quiet kinda runs contrary to the intent :D  But it's also true that the devil is always in the details, so the less details out there the better.

Steve

I kinda agree with Steve, this data may have been "a little bit" too much, but not "that" much. 

Talking about OPSEC breaches, I remember reading on Wiki that US soldiers had posted geo-tagged pictures of their bases on social media and Taliban had used those coordinates to launch mortar attacks... I literally facepalmed after reading that. That was practically a breach of "common sense", not OPSEC. :D

37 minutes ago, Abdolmartin said:

I kinda agree with Steve, this data may have been "a little bit" too much, but not "that" much. 

Talking about OPSEC breaches, I remember reading on Wiki that US soldiers had posted geo-tagged pictures of their bases on social media and Taliban had used those coordinates to launch mortar attacks... I literally facepalmed after reading that. That was practically a breach of "common sense", not OPSEC. :D

That kind of reminds me of this:

How not to be seen

Ivanov,

NATO force integration down to the tank platoon level? A new first, surely? The Leopard blends in well, even at close range. The same can't be said of the Abrams in desert paint. As for the green Abrams, its collection of desert painted roof mounted equipment looks bizarre up there. But then, I thought seeing our ODS guys running around with Woodland gear over their chocolate chips was strange. 

TJT,

Hilarious and twisted! Never caught the significance of the name of the Mrs. who appeared early in the piece. Let's just say it wasn't up to BFC standards! In retrospect, I'm surprised it got past BBC's censors.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

23 hours ago, Currahee150 said:

Jihadi John or you local "AMERICAN IMPERIALISTS MUST DIE SO THEY CAN LEAVE GLORIOUS GERMANY ALONE" dude can't go back in time and do anything about that. Posting about future troop movements...well that's a whole other ball game.

Wait, I thought they made US soldiers change out of uniform before going home from work in Deutschland because of the guys with more facial hair who sadly have already succeeded in murdering US servicemen here a few years ago.
During my time in Baden-Württemberg's state capital Stuttgart I still noticed lots of US MP in the streets, sometimes even on foot.

Edited by spawncaptain

19 hours ago, Abdolmartin said:

We've taken advantage of this too, on a more successful scale. There are a number of ISIS-Command-Center shaped craters these days because Johnny Jihad posted some cool selfies to twitter with geotagging.

13 hours ago, spawncaptain said:

Wait, I thought they made US soldiers change out of uniform before going home from work in Deutschland because of the guys with more facial hair who sadly have already succeeded in murdering US servicemen here a few years ago.
During my time in Baden-Württemberg's state capital Stuttgart I still noticed lots of US MP in the streets, sometimes even on foot.

Depends.  Like I flew into Korea in civilian clothes, but only stopped at USAF bases after I left my starting point in a US Airport, but I deployed passing through several civilian European airports in uniform.  Also I think in regards to OPSEC it's one of those things we're drilled just not to do regardless of how harmless it might be, like how you look both ways before you cross a totally deserted street.

10 hours ago, Codename Duchess said:

We've taken advantage of this too, on a more successful scale. There are a number of ISIS-Command-Center shaped craters these days because Johnny Jihad posted some cool selfies to twitter with geotagging.

Which is frankly delicious.  Wish they'd do it more often/we found a way to make a Predator Drone "follow" people on twitter and attack in real time.