3-69 the unit i am actually in as a scout SPEED AND POWER HOOAH

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 5:14 PM, Ivanov said:

You are exaggerating. The whole point of those mini deployments ( a company per country ), it that they get noticed. As soon as they set foot somewhere, there are pictures of them all over the local press and dozens of facebook fanpages. 

12241178_10154496554738840_3319947950468

Hey, that RWS on the M1's doesn't look big enough. Isn't there some more sheet-metal they could weld on somewhere up there? Sheeeesh. "Elegant engineering" at its finest...

"Mac, it's a friggin' tank. Just bolt on some more boxes."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/8/2016 at 10:01 AM, Battlefront.com said:

I did edit the timeframe out of there.  As others have said, the OPSEC these days is not what it used to be.  I first heard about it a couple of hours ago from a friend in Ukraine.  The Pentagon also announced this a while back, including unit designations IIRC.  The whole point of this move is to be high profile, so keeping it quiet kinda runs contrary to the intent :D  But it's also true that the devil is always in the details, so the less details out there the better.

Steve

I have alreay passed the devilish details to my superiors in Kremlin. Too late to bother now.

Polyakov, legendary asset recruiter (cultural attaché) is being dispatched from Moscow to Warsaw to find Private Pyle of the 3rd of the 69th, for long term recruitment into the-- Poland 5.  Private Pyle will be offered the world, and in exchange he must only betray his country.  He will sew dissent amongst his fellow privates, foment chaos in the underbrush.  As time goes on he will manipulate the egos and personal gripes of the officers above him, creating grand coalitions of useful idiots and laying the ground work for his own meteoric rise to squad leader-- from his perch as squad leader he will feed his masters valuable intelligence, of the sort that only an armored cavalry scout squad leader can access.  His movements and the movements of his squad will be subtly coordinated by his masters to conceal and misdirect counter-intelligence operations aimed at unmasking moles, buried deep within the heart of the 3-69th.  After a celebrated career, he will retire to a suburb outside Moscow where he will spend his remaining days debriefing and inspiring the next generation of Polyakovs and drinking cheap vodka with his FSB door guards.

7 hours ago, c3k said:

Hey, that RWS on the M1's doesn't look big enough. Isn't there some more sheet-metal they could weld on somewhere up there? Sheeeesh. "Elegant engineering" at its finest...

"Mac, it's a friggin' tank. Just bolt on some more boxes."

It really wasn't designed with tanks in mind.  I think half the reason we wound up with them is a few thousand were ordered for mounting on HMMWVs and that never became as common as planned.

37 minutes ago, TheForwardObserver said:

Polyakov, legendary asset recruiter (cultural attaché) is being dispatched from Moscow to Warsaw to find Private Pyle of the 3rd of the 69th, for long term recruitment into the-- Poland 5.  Private Pyle will be offered the world, and in exchange he must only betray his country.  He will sew dissent amongst his fellow privates, foment chaos in the underbrush.  As time goes on he will manipulate the egos and personal gripes of the officers above him, creating grand coalitions of useful idiots and laying the ground work for his own meteoric rise to squad leader-- from his perch as squad leader he will feed his masters valuable intelligence, of the sort that only an armored cavalry scout squad leader can access.  His movements and the movements of his squad will be subtly coordinated by his masters to conceal and misdirect counter-intelligence operations aimed at unmasking moles, buried deep within the heart of the 3-69th.  After a celebrated career, he will retire to a suburb outside Moscow where he will spend his remaining days debriefing and inspiring the next generation of Polyakovs and drinking cheap vodka with his FSB door guards.

If we're really not being super snarky at all, if there's an email tied to his account we could work backwards to his social media, and then to his real online presence, which when used with all the other leaks can paint a picture of what the status of what his unit is up to or located, which then feeds other collection efforts.  One dude is not important, but intelligence is about collecting points of data, and this was indeed a point of data (granted one of limited value thanks to the public nature of the deployment).  

I mean as a US Army we've done all sorts of nasty stuff based on what allauhsnackbar007 posts on idiotterrorists.com.  We've also doubtlessly collected a LOT of information on Russia, Russian equipment, where certain Russians that are not actually in Russia are etc thanks to their own issues with junior enlisted online.  It's impossible to stop all leaks, but it's a good practice to deny intelligence dudes low hanging fruit (like everything I write on here is stuff that comes up with a google search, or is specifically discussed in public release friendly documents). 

@TheForwardObserverIts not the Russians the Army is solely worried about. Its some ISIS cell or something equally nasty  that figures out that there's gonna be a battalions worth of US personnel riding in buses to the airport on Saturday and decide to act on the information. Is it likely to happen? No. Was 9/11 likely to happen? Most people would have said no as well. 

Edited by Currahee150

You are exaggerating to the fullest. He didn't say when and from where he's going. He just said that his unit is going to Poland, that's it. Any IS lover could find much more details in the official info, that is being released by DoD all over the place. Probably the best thing to do, would be to ignore this thread instead drawing attention to it.

Anyway, US troops that go east, are often supposed to meet the local population and interact. Now way to provide the security there:

AHA5a2155_8.jpg

26_F1_B0_FD00000578_3009704_image_a_37_1

Edited by Ivanov

I mean no offense and I'm not defending Private Pyle. In terms of the value of maintaining OPSEC, the value of OSINT, and the ease of collection in the social media age--  I think we are all on the same page.  Private Pyle violated OPSEC, specifically, he discussed movements with individuals not cleared for such information.  I would not be surprised to see someday Private Pyle starring in a 'selfie soldiers' style documentary.  If anything, I'm just reflecting on my own inability to cast stones, as I recognize the fine line walked by those of us that enjoy the technical discussions had here in the pursuit of gaming perfection. 

1 hour ago, Currahee150 said:

@TheForwardObserverIts not the Russians the Army is solely worried about. Its some ISIS cell or something equally nasty  that figures out that there's gonna be a battalions worth of US personnel riding in buses to the airport on Saturday and decide to act on the information. Is it likely to happen? No. Was 9/11 likely to happen? Most people would have said no as well. 

Nobody is afraid of ISIS

1 hour ago, Ivanov said:

You are exaggerating to the fullest. He didn't say when and from where he's going. He just said that his unit is going to Poland, that's it. Any IS lover could find much more details in the official info, that is being released by DoD all over the place. Probably the best thing to do, would be to ignore this thread instead drawing attention to it.

Anyway, US troops that go east, are often supposed to meet the local population and interact. Now way to provide the security there:

AHA5a2155_8.jpg

26_F1_B0_FD00000578_3009704_image_a_37_1

A big part of "information operations" is message crafting.  Which is in so many words, figuring out what information you are going to present overtly and disseminate widely, what you're going to hold close, and having a task and purpose to both of those things.

Dragoon Ride, and that we publicly announce Eastern European deployments is part of the first category.  The publicity serves three basic purposes

1. Reassure regional allies of US commitment to their defense, and present a positive face of US forces in Europe ("hey!  I'm an American and I'm here to help!  You want to take a look at my sweet ride/here, have the candy from my MRE I wasn't going to eat it anyway!")

2. Demonstrate clear resolve to a country that couldn't POSSIBLY be secretly invading Ukraine on the installment plan, and undermine that nation's messaging.

3. Provide a clear, "transparent" counter action to the other unnamed state actor in Eastern Europe.

So in that regard, yes, look at our Strykers.  They're really neat.  Hey, here are some tanks and US troops to protect you.  Etc.

But there might be other things going on.  I won't do actual conjecture for fear of accidentally violating OPSEC, but there's a lot of events we could do in conjunction with local elected governments and military powers to bolster their ability to counter a "green man" event that we don't want Russians to know about until genetically altered super-chimps* who can sense excessive Russian nationalism are swooping down to messily kill and devour the first wave of Russian nationalist biker gangs who were on their way to set up a phony revolution in Latvia or something.

So in that regard, one leaking point of data might lead to uncovering the super-chimps before their due time if you get my drift. 

*They're actually mountain gorillas with lasers, and DU talons, and will only attack people who hate freedom, like Putinbots.  

It is a little known fact the Armata was devoloped entirely to counter the US Army's Murder Apes program. Russian is hoping the stronkness of the Armata can overcome the bloodlust of America's Apes, but only combat will test which one will win.

3 hours ago, TheForwardObserver said:

Nobody is afraid of ISIS

@TheForwardObserverAfraid of ISIS? No. Taking reasonable measures to minimize the impact their proven capabilities may have on operations? Yes.

Edited by Currahee150

5 minutes ago, Currahee150 said:

It is a little known fact the Armata was devoloped entirely to counter the US Army's Murder Apes program. Russian is hoping the stronkness of the Armata can overcome the bloodlust of America's Apes, but only combat will test which one will win.

@TheForwardObserverAfraid of ISIS? No. Taking reasonable measures to minimize the impact their proven capabilities may have on operations? Yes.

I'm not going to argue against your well reasoned point.  I think we may have some philosophical differences about ISIS, their structure, effective potential, their actual operational capabilities, etc. but surely just nuances.  Carry on.

@TheForwardObserverYeah, I don't think they are going to take down Western Civilization or anything. I'm not one of those guys that thinks ISIS is going to conquer the Middle East, march on Israel, and develop nuclear weapons. I'm pretty sure they are currently on the downward curve of their lifespan. They're just another threat and we have to take precautions.

Edited by Currahee150

I'm worried about some idiot who's declared himself to be an ISIS super soldier after a weekend blowing his mind on meth showing up to my armory and taking potshots to appease his internet friends.  It's not frightening in the sense of I expect a well coordinated ISIS squad sized element to attack, but the less information some knucklehead has to go on, the better.

Frankly if it wasn't ISIS, it'd be some other idiot extremist group to worry about.

Totally did.  And Putler's law will be just one of the things that will justify the dropping of weaponized primates on downtown Moscow.  While future generations will recoil at the destruction of one of the world's great cities by murderous laser equipped chimps, it will simply be accepted as the natural conclusion to Putin's reckless posturing without a shirt on. 

Edited by panzersaurkrautwerfer