Panzerfausts

I'm trying to recall, I think Panzerfaust 60 showed up CMBN Market Garden module because the module pushed the game into September. Panzerfaust 100 was held back in the other titles due to its late introduction date. It does show up in the Bulge title - I mean CMFB - though I'm quite not sure about its into date. Its certainly not around in October!  :)

Interestingly, the 30k version was still produced and kept into production at this time and thus still ample stocks were available and distributed. Reason was that the not so much sloped (or none at all) armor of the western allies posed lesser problems for the small 30k warhead which tended to slip from well sloped russian armor. The 30k also and still had sufficient penetration power to tackle the vast fleets of Shermans in the western allied inventory. So CMFB still should´ve plenty of these.

PzF 60 and 100 are in the game. They appear randomly mixed with other models.

Please..Just stay with Pzf 30-60. Don't add the PzF 100 until the CMFB Module as they really didn't start appearing until the end of first quarter of 45' ( next module should be around Feb-May ). 

Joe

Please..Just stay with Pzf 30-60. Don't add the PzF 100 until the CMFB Module as they really didn't start appearing until the end of first quarter of 45' ( next module should be around Feb-May ). 

Joe

Source? I found references to first distributions earlier.

Panzerfausts had terrible range but it could destroy any allied tank. They were very difficult to hit close targets on the move and at still targets at ranges even over 40 meters away. Many many panzerfausts were produced luckily the majority of it's users were ,kids, teens and old men during the bulge. There was a panzerfaust 150 made as well. They are still being produced today https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzerfaust_3

Here are some  specs

DesignationWeightPropellant
weight
Warhead ØProjectile speed
Vmax
Effective
range
Penetration
performance
Faustpatrone 302.7–3.2 kg70 g100 mm28 m/s30 m140 mm
Panzerfaust 306.9 kg95–100 g149 mm30 m/s30 m200 mm
Panzerfaust 608.5 kg120–134 g149 mm45 m/s60 m200 mm
Panzerfaust 1009.4 kg190–200 g149 mm60 m/s100 m200 mm
Panzerfaust 1506.5 kg190–200 g106 mm85 m/s150 m280–320 mm
Edited by user1000

I recall in the old 'World at War' TV series a woman said she was handed a Panzerfaust for home defense and the first practice shot she hit the target squarely. She also got a face full of rocket exhaust too. After that first shot she would flinch when firing and always missed. So in a weird way practice makes you worse!  :D

Hopefully we see stocks filled some more in german CMFB OOB. I do not expect Volksgrenadiers to carry each man a Faust, but at least trucks, HT, ammo dumps (supply platoon) and maybe even pillboxes should have some more. I could also think of an option in the OOB/force editor, either through direct selection when forces have already been purchased (like it is for grenadiers, bazooka or no bazooka...), or integrated with the force quality drop down list. The real abundance then should come when time period is extended beyond january 45.

Panzerfausts had terrible range but it could destroy any allied tank. They were very difficult to hit close targets on the move and at still targets at ranges even over 40 meters away.

They were really limited and could of course never replace AT guns. However much of the late war fighting was clearing town after town after town, and in those circumstances there will always be opportunities even for a raw recruit. The Russians took to plastering every cellar window, for good reason.

It's somewhat comparable to today's conflicts, where the concrete landscape is as a force multiplier and gives amateur RPG shooters odds they would not enjoy in a more organized setting. Of course more skilled troops can make handheld weapons work in other environments as well, but it's more difficult.

I think the true value of the panzerfaust was not so much actually killing tanks. It was that when the enemy knows you might have the weapons, he needs to be much more restrained with his tanks. You might in fact have zero panzerfausts in the village, but just the fact you might means he won't be able to roll in guns blazing. It buys you time.

I think they could even be taken apart and uses as booby traps. Maybe I am wrong but I doubt they are much good against structures since its just a shaped charge like a BB pellet through a tin can, with the added molten shrapnel. It's what it does to the inside of the tank. The US AT rifle grenade did the same thing. As the tank mine Hafthohlladung did to the soviets

Edited by user1000

• 1 year later...