CM: Battle of the Bulge Stream gameplay

One tip: The Volksgrenadiers often had to substitute missing StG44s with Italian made Beretta M38/42 smgs. These things are found in the mud of the Ardennes and Hurtgen Forest with surprising regularity (one mudfind can be seen at the Malmedy museum). Could be a nice idea for some infantry variety.

I guess you will release it on the 10th of November so you all can enjoy Fallout 4, after a busy year crafting yet another awesome CMx2 family game. :D This fall is already crazy with all the upcoming releases! I am looking forward to add CMx2 "Bulge" into my insane gaming schedule! :P

Thanks for the streams ChrisND, they are fun and informative!

Yes, both new late war textures and whitewash are in the game.

About how/when its going to be displayed - so far that's been changed three times over(!) so I can't guarantee how it'll turn out by game release. Currently whitewash shows up in January when there's snow on the ground and earlier if the scenario designer chooses to add a [whitewash] tag choice when building his scenario. Really, Ardennes didn't get its first savage snowstorm until pretty late in December (28th?) so few people would be splashing whitewash on vehicles much earlier.

Also lets remember future modules will give you Feb, March and April so whitewash is going to be around for awhile yet.  :)

CMFI module didn't include whitewash because the Italian theater wasn't big on applying whitewash. At least in the 43-44 timeframe. I believe the [whitewash] tag will be accepted in the CMFI module but I'm not 100% certain that it works as it ought. Since they weren't using it they didn't put much effort into it.

Yes, both new late war textures and whitewash are in the game.

About how/when its going to be displayed - so far that's been changed three times over(!) so I can't guarantee how it'll turn out by game release. Currently whitewash shows up in January when there's snow on the ground and earlier if the scenario designer chooses to add a [whitewash] tag choice when building his scenario. Really, Ardennes didn't get its first savage snowstorm until pretty late in December (28th?) so few people would be splashing whitewash on vehicles much earlier.

Also lets remember future modules will give you Feb, March and April so whitewash is going to be around for awhile yet.  :)

Sounds like it will be auto-applied. So is there also a tag to remove whitewash if we are making a scenario in January where some tanks for some reason have not applied this? Not sure if it ever happened in real life, but nice to have flexibility...

Yes, hopefully the real-life cowardice and incompetence of the crews will be simulated as well :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagdtiger#Combat_history

Rather dependent on the scenario designers and QB purchasers there... The BFC designers, I'd trust to do the research on any historical appearances, but I reckon you can expect to see any Jagdtigers showing up in QBs to be High or better motivation, since systems that can F-kill the beasts will be uncommon and you don't want the crew overestimating the vulnerability of such a (probably) expensive asset...

Rather dependent on the scenario designers and QB purchasers there... The BFC designers, I'd trust to do the research on any historical appearances, but I reckon you can expect to see any Jagdtigers showing up in QBs to be High or better motivation, since systems that can F-kill the beasts will be uncommon and you don't want the crew overestimating the vulnerability of such a (probably) expensive asset...

I wonder if choosing good crew for these tanks will push the rarity through the roof, as surely experienced tank commanders would have been quite scarce at that stage of the war?

Rarity isn't (unfortunately) that complex. Making the soft factors higher will just increase the base cost by x% and that will then be multiplied by the rarity multiplier. Which should be fairly high to start with considering the few JagdTigers that were built, even though the ones surviving by the time of Bulge all (??) fought on that front. So increasing the soft factors will be expensive, cos the thing'll cost a pretty QB penny, I'd imagine, being so devastating, potentially, making the x% be a large number to be multiplied up. But unless they change the QB purchase mechanisms, there'll be no "additional" rarity for having a good crew.

Jagdtigers weren't used in the battle of the bulge, only in Operation Nordwind in 1945.

I thought that myself. Though there seems to be some uncertainty about it. From what I've read they were to be transported to the front but didn't make it in time and that's why they appeared in Nordwind.

From the Encyclopedia of German Tanks.Chamberlain, Doyle, Jentz. pg144

"The Jagdtiger was issued to only two combat units.Panzerjagerabteilung 653 and schwere Panzerjagerabteilung 512.The 653rd was employed on the western front during the Ardennes offensive,and the later with the 512th in the defence of Germany proper,in such actions as the Remagen Bridgehead on 10 March 1945"

77 produced from July 44 to March 45.

The Jagdtiger mounting the  88mm L/71 was designated but never produced.

ok , so I have a little grog in me.

From Panzerworld, a slight contradiction, so who knows the real truth.

"S.Pz.Jäg.Abt.653 was intended to be deployed during the Ardennes offensive, but did not reach the front in time to see any action. The unit was then assigned to 17. SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Götz von Berlichingen", with the intension of deploying it during the Nordwind offensive. Due to mechanical problems, however, only three Jagdtigers were operational at the start of the offensive."