The CMBN Master Installer Rocks!

Hi, Just wanted to share some good news.

I recently had to wipe my entire computer.When I went to re-install I ran out of CMBN activations and created a help desk ticket.They got back to me within hours.Elvis was extremely helpful and told me to just dl the 3.0 upgrade and youll get everything.(Yah ok,whatever)Just wanted to confirm that it works flawlessly.No worrying about what order to put anything in and your totally up to date.The dl was a little lenghthy but probably still way less than dling all of them individualy!

Thanks for this major improvement!

Oh wait and they didn't even charge for it,I guess it is Christmas.

I had to do a clean Windows install over Xmas and haven't gotten around to installing CMBN on the new drive yet. I have downloaded the Master Installer, though (on 12/14).

I was going to use the MI, but when I ran it, I noticed that the included Readme info is for the 3.11 Patch and doesn't have any Master Installer-related info. I assumed this was an oversite, but wanted to get confirmation that the Master Installer works okay before going forward. Do you recall if your Readme was the same--just showing info for the 3.11 Patch?

Thanks.

Oh wait and they didn't even charge for it,I guess it is Christmas.

I paid for mine, but it wasn't much so no pain. I just ran all the original game and module disks and at the end loaded the Master Installer and used its activation and it all went like clockwork.

Only problem is that I still have that bug that prevents me from panning the camera view vertically. Since this is critical to my style of play, I still can't play the game.

:(

Michael

I thought we had unlimited downloads?

We do. I just downloaded the new Master Installer to plonk on my new SSD - went to downloads page, entered the V3.0 key and voila !

Not sure about ME's panning problem, but I think he's on a Mac, so ... he has my sympathies. B)

Nice I am glad so many are not having issues.  I have only used my serial number once for Combat Mission Commonwealth, and when I went to input the serial as asked.... it said it was invalid.  I know others said the same thing.. not sure what the deal is.  Unfortunately this simple process has terminated playing Normandy until it gets resolved.. and all the stuff they ask for in the "create ticket" is lengthy.. so I have not gotten around to filling it out.   I love it when around 150 plus dollars of software goes to **** because of some small little detail... and I have already paid for the game.. In my opinion and the opinion of 3 MS programmer friends.. it should never have been an issue.. the way they have you extract and unzip files from the master disk is archaic.  I am glad you have had a good customer service encounter.

I am not that computer savvy unfortunately, so Its a good thing I have friends that are...

Edited by GhostRider3/3

I paid for mine, but it wasn't much so no pain. I just ran all the original game and module disks and at the end loaded the Master Installer and used its activation and it all went like clockwork.

Only problem is that I still have that bug that prevents me from panning the camera view vertically. Since this is critical to my style of play, I still can't play the game.

:(

Michael

Michael, I'm on a Mac and I heard you are as well. What is it you mean when you say Panning Vertically? Do you mean where you can change the angle of the camera to look down at a steeper angle? I'm able to do that, was this something that worked for you previously but no longer since 3.11?

Nice I am glad so many are not having issues.  I have only used my serial number once for Combat Mission Commonwealth, and when I went to input the serial as asked.... it said it was invalid.  I know others said the same thing.. not sure what the deal is.  Unfortunately this simple process has terminated playing Normandy until it gets resolved.. and all the stuff they ask for in the "create ticket" is lengthy.. so I have not gotten around to filling it out.   I love it when around 150 plus dollars of software goes to **** because of some small little detail... and I have already paid for the game.. In my opinion and the opinion of 3 MS programmer friends.. it should never have been an issue.. the way they have you extract and unzip files from the master disk is archaic.  I am glad you have had a good customer service encounter.

I am not that computer savvy unfortunately, so Its a good thing I have friends that are...

Well, you could also say "I love it when around 150 plus dollars of software goes to **** because ...the "create ticket" process is lengthy.. so I have not gotten around to filling it out."

It might be a bug in their process, but you have to give them a chance to help you.

Michael, I'm on a Mac and I heard you are as well. What is it you mean when you say Panning Vertically? Do you mean where you can change the angle of the camera to look down at a steeper angle? I'm able to do that, was this something that worked for you previously but no longer since 3.11?

Actually it started 14 or 15 months ago. I guess that was 3.0. What I am talking about, just to clarify, is that previously in all CM games the up arrow key would pan the camera up and the down arrow key down. It still works that way in FI and RT. It is only in the BN family that that no longer works. Going into the in game controls does not effect this. It's frustrating because so impenetrably enigmatic. Only one of the programmers can fix this, and since I am apparently the only person on the planet who has this problem, it is not seen as worth their time, I guess.

Michael

Actually it started 14 or 15 months ago. I guess that was 3.0. What I am talking about, just to clarify, is that previously in all CM games the up arrow key would pan the camera up and the down arrow key down. It still works that way in FI and RT. It is only in the BN family that that no longer works. Going into the in game controls does not effect this. It's frustrating because so impenetrably enigmatic. Only one of the programmers can fix this, and since I am apparently the only person on the planet who has this problem, it is not seen as worth their time, I guess.

Michael

I can imagine it would be very frustrating indeed. I usually only raise and lower the camera (using my mouse wheel) but to change the actually angle upward or downward, I've never used the arrow keys. I use the mouse wheel, and hold down either the Shift or Control key (at work and I can't recall which it is so try both, as well Alt and Command, just to cover the possibilities) to make it change the angle. Maybe that's something you haven't tried, it's not intuitive but it does work. Edited by Bud_B

I use the mouse wheel, and hold down either the Shift or Control key (at work and I can't recall which it is so try both, as well Alt and Command, just to cover the possibilities) to make it change the angle.

Just tried those but none of them work. I did recall something that does though, holding down the right mouse button while sliding the cursor forward or back does the trick. It means learning a new move for just this game, but at least it works.

In the process of testing this, I came across another glitch, I suppose this one of my own making. When I went to the list of available battles, I noticed that all the ones for CW and MG were grayed out and if I clicked on one I got the message that those two modules were not loaded. They were very definitely loaded, but I didn't activate them individually. Now I wonder if I can do that now, or if I have to delete them and just start over. Time and trials will tell. I sure do hope that BFC will further simplify this process.

Michael

Just tried those but none of them work. I did recall something that does though, holding down the right mouse button while sliding the cursor forward or back does the trick. It means learning a new move for just this game, but at least it works.

Pity they didn't work, but at least you ended up discovering a workaround. :)

In the process of testing this, I came across another glitch, I suppose this one of my own making. When I went to the list of available battles, I noticed that all the ones for CW and MG were grayed out and if I clicked on one I got the message that those two modules were not loaded. They were very definitely loaded, but I didn't activate them individually. Now I wonder if I can do that now, or if I have to delete them and just start over. Time and trials will tell. I sure do hope that BFC will further simplify this process.

Michael

When I upgraded from 2.12 (and I did so before the super-installer file from 20 Dec) I installed 3.0, activated it, then the vehicle pack, activated CW and MG separately. So I think you may have missed a step.

And you're right, much as I love the new installer, it doesn't mitigate the activation hassles and (in my view) more importantly, the limited numbers of them.

Yes, when I ( yesterday ) installed the new Master Installer, I used the "Activate Modules" shortcut to activate each module individually.

They're there, you just have to tell the Copy Protection your license key.

Hi Michael. If you are on a Mac there is a (program?) you need to run to get the activation screen to appear (I think of is accessed via cmbn in explorer). I am not at my Mac at the moment (recovering from a New Year's piping tour + too much whisky) but coukd send you a screenshot mañana if you're struggling? Happy New Year everyone!

Yes, when I ( yesterday ) installed the new Master Installer, I used the "Activate Modules" shortcut to activate each module individually.

They're there, you just have to tell the Copy Protection your license key.

That sounds intriguing. Would you be willing to go into more detail? Seems I need a step-by-step guide through this labyrinth. I really don't want to screw this up yet again.

Michael

Michael,

I think you need to run the "Activate New Products.sh" script, which is found under the CM Battle for Normandy\Documents file\Activate New Products.sh.

I bought the big bundle, but I had to use this to update with the 3.11 patch.  You probably need to run this twice and add each of the module keys.

post-72746-0-37023300-1420132273_thumb.p

Edited by speedbump2

That sounds intriguing. Would you be willing to go into more detail? Seems I need a step-by-step guide through this labyrinth. I really don't want to screw this up yet again.

Michael

but you know you will.   That must be depressing to know you are destined to fail.  Oh wait this isn't the MBT... still.

Michael;

speed bump 2 is correct. You need to run file:///Applications/CM Battle for Normandy/Documents/Activate New Products.sh

You will need to run this once for each MODULE you are activating. 

1x for Commonwealth

1x for Market Garden

Each time you run it it will ask for the license key for CMBN (the description is not informative, its really asking for the key for the module, and not the base game).

First run, input the key for CW and activate. 

Close the app

Run it again

Second run, input the key for MG and activate. 

Close the app

You should be done and fully activated. 

For completeness, here is the order of installation that I used for me. Since you already have an installation done much of this is superfluous, but I'm including it just in case. 

CMBN Installation

-Commonwealth bundle

-1.11 patch

-2.0 upgrade

-Market garden

-2.12 patch

-3.0 upgrade - activate at this point only using 3.0 key - will activate all the modules up to and incl 3.0.

Vehicle pack - now activate each module (and the vehicle pack) separately using their respective keys, not base key. For the base game, use the 3.0 key again. None of these activations are supposed to decrease how many you have available, according to the docs. 

-3.11 patch

Edited by Bud_B

For completeness, here is the order of installation that I used for me. Since you already have an installation done much of this is superfluous, but I'm including it just in case. 

CMBN Installation

-Commonwealth bundle

-1.11 patch

-2.0 upgrade

-Market garden

-2.12 patch

-3.0 upgrade - activate at this point only using 3.0 key - will activate all the modules up to and incl 3.0.

Vehicle pack - now activate each module (and the vehicle pack) separately using their respective keys, not base key. For the base game, use the 3.0 key again. None of these activations are supposed to decrease how many you have available, according to the docs. 

-3.11 patch

If own the 3.0 upgrade, just re-download it.  Install in and you can skip 90% of this. It will have everything up to 3.0 included, modules and patches etc.

Michael

Ooooh, I know what your issue is! You will want to change camera controls. Go to ingame options and change it! You can choose between 3 different camera control presets. Not sure which one brings your up and down arrows to what you want 'cos I'm not at home but do try each one and see the results. I might just have saved you of your frustrations. Well, at least I hope so.

Happy new year.

Edited by Hister

After deleting my old install, then downloading and doing a fresh install of the CMBN complete installer, I launched CMBN. It prompted me for my base game license key, for which I entered my 3.0 key. The program confirmed a successful unlock and showed multiple (five or six IIRC) colored blocks of text which all said the same thing (can't remember exactly what it said, but something like CM Battle For Normancy PC).

But it never prompted me to enter my module license keys (I own both CW and MG). How do I do that? I see both CW and MG battles in the available list, but I'm not sure whether this means they are already activated. If so, how would I confirm that? I sent a help request early in the week and have yet to receive a reply, though I understand it is the holidays.

If you have MG and CW icons in game main menu then you have them activated. Being able to play missions/campaigns requiring those two modules also means they are activated. 

I take it the CMBN icon is a tank with one star underneath, the CW icon is a tank with two stars, and the MG icon shows parachutes? If so, apparently they were all activated along with my 3.0 license key. Thanks.