casualty

I'm not a big fan of the "casualty" designation when we click on a unit in RT/3.0. All this does is clutter up the UI, in my opinion. I prefer the original method of removing noncombatants from the unit view.

They changed that? Damn. I hope they change it back again before I manage to find a new computer that will play RT

I love the change. It acts as a buddy aid reminder, and tells me what weapon the casualty had without me having to get the camera down in the grass.

Get your ass in the grass, VAB.

I don't like the change. Why should we have to see dead (useless) troopers in our unit view? Just a distraction, IMO, given the scale of CM.

Get your ass in the grass, VAB.

I don't like the change. Why should we have to see dead (useless) troopers in our unit view? Just a distraction, IMO, given the scale of CM.

Nah. Although the dead may be useless, what they were carrying often is not. I just mouse over the SAW gunner in the UI and look for the pulsing X that tells me "buddy aid THIS guy". When you're playing a huge QB it saves time.

I love the change. It acts as a buddy aid reminder, and tells me what weapon the casualty had without me having to get the camera down in the grass.

You could always check that by looking on the left of the screen at the teal descriptors of what the men are doing. It says, e.g. "Team Leader: Aiming", "Soldier: Cowering" and tells you "Casualty" if they are dead. No need to look for the body on the battlefield. The big writing in the centre of the UI is redundant and distracting as noted by others.

You could always check that by looking on the left of the screen at the teal descriptors of what the men are doing. It says, e.g. "Team Leader: Aiming", "Soldier: Cowering" and tells you "Casualty" if they are dead. No need to look for the body on the battlefield. The big writing in the centre of the UI is redundant and distracting as noted by others.

It's not redundant because it has functionality the left side readout lacks. The left side doesn't tell you what weapon they had. Also, you can't mouse over the left side display. If the unit has several casualties it's a time saver to be able to know at a glance which red X has what weapon without having to examine each one up close, especially since dropped weapons will sometimes sink into the terrain mesh making them difficult or impossible to see.

Also, I don't like how the rifle becomes yellow like the walking wounded guys. It means I often have to look closely to see who is still standing (albeit slightly wounded) and who is entirely out of the battle.

Red/green colorblind? It's very obvious to my eyes, but can understand if someone doesn't see red well.

I'm not a big fan of the "casualty" designation when we click on a unit in RT/3.0. All this does is clutter up the UI, in my opinion. I prefer the original method of removing noncombatants from the unit view.

I'm mostly okay with it, but there are a couple of things that don't sit right with me. One is the color choice. I'd much prefer they stick with the colors on the field: brown for dead and red for seriously wounded. Using yellow for two different states is asking for confusion. I don't know how this one got past the play testers. The other thing is the word 'casualty' blazed across the sign. If ever there was a case of unnecessary redundancy, this is it. (Maybe keep this as a toggleable feature for the color blind though.) So, a good idea that needs more work.

Michael

Red/green colorblind? It's very obvious to my eyes, but can understand if someone doesn't see red well.

I get that the it's easy to see the number of green rifles.

My beef is with the rifles all being yellow, regardless of whether the soldier is still standing or a full casualty. I appreciate that there is a red "Casualty" written across that tells you that, it just takes some time to sort through. I find it's a sea of yellow rifles when a squad has taken some hits, and it takes me a minute to figure out how many guys are out of action versus how many are wounded but still able to do something.

Regarding the posts about not being able to see what gun the soldier was carrying on the teal descriptors to the left, you can usually tell who had the LMG because they are described as "Gunner". I appreciate that you cannot tell if a "Soldier" had an SMG or rifle.

IMO, a simple fix would be to have a green rifle for OK, a yellow for wounded but still standing, and a red rifle for a casualty. It would make it a lot easier to do the count as you wouldn't have to check which yellow rifles also have "casualty" written over them.

The idea behind it is good. Implementation is a little lacking.

Personally it would make more sense to me to have the soldiers state reflected via colors without text.

Green: good to go.

Yellow: Lightly wounded.

Red: Heavily wounded/out of action.

Dark Red: Dead.

It keeps it consistent with the visuals on the map and you don't have a word blazoned across the soldier to clutter up the UI.

The idea behind it is good. Implementation is a little lacking.

Personally it would make more sense to me to have the soldiers state reflected via colors without text.

Green: good to go.

Yellow: Lightly wounded.

Red: Heavily wounded/out of action.

Dark Red: Dead.

It keeps it consistent with the visuals on the map and you don't have a word blazoned across the soldier to clutter up the UI.

I agree 100%.

Agree with Pelican. I'm guessing that adding a 'red' and/or 'dark red' image the relevant part of the UI was to time intensive, it's a lot more little images to make and program in. But it would have made the UI less cluttered and easier to follow for the end user rather than adding a text overlay.