casualty

Yeah, I also thought that making a reddish background instead of the yellow would have been the way to go.

It doesn't bug me unduly, I like having the casualty easily locatable as many have mentioned - would be nice if he didn't vanish after being aided though ( in-keeping with the other reason for the request - ie to know how many men you started with in a team ) - it would be preferable if it just changed the text from Casualty to something else like "Aided" or something ( I'm sure others will have a better suggestion ).

Personally I can never tell whether I still have that guy and he is just wounded or he is down and out of the squad. I find myself checking unit status by getting down to view 1 and visually counting noses, instead of reading the information window. That can't be a sign of an optimal user interface. But hey, it is new to me, maybe it will become more intuitive with experience...

Personally I can never tell whether I still have that guy and he is just wounded or he is down and out of the squad. I find myself checking unit status by getting down to view 1 and visually counting noses, instead of reading the information window. That can't be a sign of an optimal user interface. But hey, it is new to me, maybe it will become more intuitive with experience...

Perhaps you will find this helpful:

In the UI,

GREEN Weapon Icon:

Soldier carrying this weapon is A-OK, zero defects.

YELLOW Weapon Icon, NO other text:

Soldier is "injured" -- he is still an active part of the unit, but is hurt enough that he is operating at reduced capability, esp. wrt movement and fatigue.

YELLOW Weapon Icon, and CASUALTY text next to weapon:

Soldier is hors de combat, either WIA or KIA, but has NOT been buddy aided yet. Weapon and/or some of the ammo he is carrying may be recoverable.

Weapon no longer shown in UI at all:

WIA/KIA soldier has been buddy aided and is assumed evac'd off the battlefield.

Note that regardless of the above states, if you hover your mouse over a weapon icon in the UI, the colored base of that particular soldier will pulsate in the game window, enabling you to locate him specifically.

TD - thanks that does help. I think I am mostly just confused by seeing yellow for both your 2nd and 3rd categories...

I agree that using yellow for both Injured and WIA/KIA in the UI is less than ideal. I don't have any particular insight why it was done this way , but I would guess is that the aformentioned issue with red not being a good indicator for colorblind players is why a red weapon icon was not used for WIA/KIA.

My guess is that mods will offer all sorts of options for this; some are out already and I'm sure more will be coming.

I'm mostly okay with it, but there are a couple of things that don't sit right with me. One is the color choice. I'd much prefer they stick with the colors on the field: brown for dead and red for seriously wounded. Using yellow for two different states is asking for confusion. I don't know how this one got past the play testers. The other thing is the word 'casualty' blazed across the sign. If ever there was a case of unnecessary redundancy, this is it. (Maybe keep this as a toggleable feature for the color blind though.) So, a good idea that needs more work.

Michael

I like the feature, and agree with Michael that it should be modified in order to be consistent with the in-game colors.

The word casualty is not great and should be changed to reflect the actual status, i.e. KIA, Severely Wounded, Lightly Wounded, etc... Maybe have the wording available as a mouse-over.

IMO, a simple fix would be to have a green rifle for OK, a yellow for wounded but still standing, and a red rifle for a casualty. It would make it a lot easier to do the count as you wouldn't have to check which yellow rifles also have "casualty" written over them.

We have a winner!

Alles klar, Herr Kommissar.

EDIT: sometimes less is more.

I like the new feature a lot as it shows what weapon is down at a glance. If you do not like the "casualty" text try "Vin's animated text" mod as it changes the word to a red cross making it less cluttered.

Another thing that I have tried is using Juju's wounded weapons mod with the "orange dot" as a visual filter. With this you can have:

Green = ok

Detailed weapon w/ orange dot = wounded

Detailed weapon with "red cross" = casualty

This makes the green ok guys stick out.

The word casualty is not great and should be changed to reflect the actual status, i.e. KIA, Severely Wounded, Lightly Wounded, etc... Maybe have the wording available as a mouse-over.

I have a suggestion for the wording (and also I agree with Doug Williams that it should be toggleable or mouse over). In US professional football I notice that the announcers distinguish between categories of injuries by using the word 'hurt' to describe minor but painful injuries such as bruises or abrasions that do not interfere with play. To describe major injuries that require that a player leave the game they use the word 'injured'. Such short one word descriptives won't clutter the UI excessively and convey the necessary information in a clear and unambiguous manner. So, an unwounded soldier is represented by a green gun and no text. A lightly wounded soldier by a yellow rifle and the text 'light'. A seriously wounded soldier by a red gun and the text 'serious' or 'WIA'. And a dead soldier by a brown gun and the text 'dead' or 'KIA'.

Now, does that get us where we need to be? Will that make >90% of us happy?

Michael

The text currently isn't very readable and does a great job of confusing that part of the menu. It essentially works because the only text that shows up means someone is dead so you can just look for a horrid white mess over a guy to see who is dead.

If you wanted the words overlayed on a soldier to mean something you would have to find a way to make them more readable than they are now.

I like the new feature a lot as it shows what weapon is down at a glance. If you do not like the "casualty" text try "Vin's animated text" mod as it changes the word to a red cross making it less cluttered.

So, a third party "mod" solution? No thanks.

I don't like the new "casualty" designation in CM3. I have little interest in the UI showing troops that were formerly under my control but aren't any longer due to death or severe wounding. TMI.....too much information.

Toggle this, please, BFC.