[WIP] Industrialization mod

Hello everybody,

first of all I would like to thank the few guys who program and make combat mission series game; second, same goes for all those modders who inspired me with their fantastic works.

Said that I'd like to share a preview of a mod I've been working on, long story short, I was making a urban scenario with a train station and some kind of an industrial area, and then realized that I needed something a bit different to improve the idea.

We have limited choices when it comes to details and 3d models, but standardized buildings can be used to make some nice looking industrial structures.

So, here is a picture of the least industrial-compatible vanilla building (road and dirt terrain curtesy of Aris' latest CMRT terrain mod, on which colours I will base anything I'll do) that I decided to pick for the modification:

6c6v.jpg

New textures to walls, roof, Windows and door and this is the result (concrete wall substituting the vanilla stone wall on the side):

p1en.jpg

m7tk.jpg

zej8.jpg

A very basic layout:

vw0e.jpg

This is a work in progress, I have no experience with mods whatsoever so I am figuring everything out.

The idea of this mod is to provide a [tagged] alternative for scenario makers (or a complete conversion to be used throughout all game, if you prefer) and to give them some more tools capable of representing some kind of industrial buildings textures and terrain tiles (you can see some coal too in the screens, which could be used to make stockpiles).

I have gathered the textures from Google, so I have no idea of copyrights or such kind of things, this all started as a personal mod so I'm not positive this will be released for sure.

As Always any advice, criticism or suggestion is welcome, as I said I'm new to mod making of any kind, more of a consumer here.

Thanks for watching and good bye.

The idea of this mod is to provide a [tagged] alternative for scenario makers (or a complete conversion to be used throughout all game, if you prefer) and to give them some more tools capable of representing some kind of industrial buildings textures and terrain tiles

Sounds like a great use of the mod [tagging] feature - nice idea.

Looks awesome! Great job! That is one heck of a first mod. You definitely have a knack for modding.

You can actually make them new textures by adding a number to the end of the bitmaps.

For example; if the building you are modding has 5 texture versions you'd add a 6 to the end the bmps to give you a completely new set of textures.

This link should explain it better.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=82687

The beauty is you can keep all the original textures + your new ones, and still use the mod tag. At least in theory.

Mord.

Looks awesome! Great job! That is one heck of a first mod. You definitely have a knack for modding.

You can actually make them new textures by adding a number to the end of the bitmaps.

For example; if the building you are modding has 5 texture versions you'd add a 6 to the end the bmps to give you a completely new set of textures.

This link should explain it better.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=82687

The beauty is you can keep all the original textures + your new ones, and still use the mod tag. At least in theory.

Mord.

Thanks for the heads up, really didn't know about this, so, theoretically, there could be infinite variations of the building textures in game?

No need to use tags for the buildings at least then.

Yep. It's a great little hidden feature that hasn't been utilized much with lots of possibilities.

To test it, find out how many texture sets there are for the building you created the brick textures for, and then just rename the brick bmps with the next consecutive number. Go in the editor and cycle through them. It should still work.

Mord.

Modular buildings in CMRT allow for 8 variations, I tried to pack a brz file adding a folder named 9 and putting some textures there, but they didn't show up. Neither do if I make a number 9 version and add it to Z.

Maybe the max number of variations is 8?

Anyway, there's always the tag option, just in case.

I tried to pack a brz file adding a folder named 9 and putting some textures there, but they didn't show up.

I believe the game won't recognize an additional set unless EVERYTHING is included, including all windows, balconies, interiors. Only then will it 'see' set #9 and #10. It can be a real PITA to round up everything that's needed.

AHEM!

10_Bldings.jpg

But yeah everything is included and renamed; all doors, windows, balconies etc, including normal maps. There are a couple textures that look like they are the same but I cycled through everything to make sure before I loaded the modded textures. There are no duplicates in the picture.

Mord.

IIRC for the independen buildings you can miss jut ONE texture per new building, which is shown in black. However if more than one texture is missing, then the new building doesn't show up at all.

As a rule copy one complet set of building textures, rename them, then start working on the textures

BTW independent commercial building #1 and independent house #2, #4 and #5 have a brick texture with an industrial look which were done on purpose.

This looks intresting...Good luck with this project.

One question/suggestion though...

Would it be possible to have the brickwall go all the way up to the roof or possibly have the sides of the roofs lock like windows (glass)...?

Thats atleast what most old, brick, factory-buildings looks like where i live (sweden).

I'm no factory-grog though so i might be misstaking about eastern front WW2 factories...

Just a suggestion...Maybe others know more about this...

Very nice suggestion Repsol, thanks a lot, I will try a different version soon.

Unfortunately there are very few old industrial buildings surviving in our cities, at least in western europe, so the reference is sketchy.

Britains are known for having a keen eye to keep their old structures, but they also have their own styles.